Showing ads on your shopify store websites

Highlighted
2 0 0

Store owners,

Wondering if any or how many of you show display ads on your shopify store websites to earn money? For instance Google AdSense ads. If so, what are some considerations when deciding to show ads on your shopify store website? Which advertising vendors are you using to show ads?

Thanks

Paddy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
403 0 52

Paddy, this is a bad idea for so many reasons. The pennies you'll earn from adsense won't come close to the dollars you'll lose in sales from reduced credibility.

Actionable, affordable, marketing strategies that work. Stacey Herbert www.brazenprofitlab.com
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 2

The very last thing you want when people are trying to decide whether to spend money at your store is to have them distracted with the idea of spending money somewhere else.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

I agree with the others, Paddy :-) I would feel suspicious of a website, not well known, that shows ads. It just doesn't look credible. Plus, you don't want people leaving your site to buy something else, which is the only way you'll be paid for having the ads... when someone clicks on them. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 3

As someone who shops often online, I've seen several big names offering partner ads.  Not ads ense, but they seem to have special retail deals with other big retail sales orgs.  Ama zon is the biggest one who does this.  I've seen it on K ohls too.  Full beauty and wal mart have deals to handle the transaction and then send the order to big retailers - and both are upfront on who will fulfill the orders. Full beauty has a whole host of companies that it does this for and I know wal mart does this for wayfair and some smaller suppliers.  

It would be very easy to put related Ama zon affiliate items on your store.  And I think customers would appreciate the concept if they can't find what they want in your store.  I know I love a huge selection when I shop online.

There should be NO cheezy adse nse ads or sleezy gimmicks trying to get people to click your ads, solely for ads ense income.  But working with affiliate retail sellers would be a great idea that will help your customer.  You could partner with other shopify retailers with similar products too.  This would get more traffic for both stores.  

Always (and only) do what your customer will appreciate.

3 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I agree, I tried it for a few days then realized they were showing ads for candles on other websites, and I tried to block those ads but was very unsuccessful so I had to get rid of it. I sell candles the last thing I want is my potential customers to go elsewhere to get them because of a ad on my website. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. But, if the purpose of advertising is to earn money from traffic that does not buy anything from the store, and if it is CPM based not click based, and if there are controls to block certain categories, e.g ads from candles if you sell candles on your website, then why is it a bad idea? Adsense and some other ad networks seem to offer these?

i do like the idea of affiliates across Shopify stores, but would people be willing to partner and show affiliate links for similar products?

Thanks again,

Paddy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 3

No.. No.. No..

We are building brands here.. not writing blogs that stay up on search engines ..  So that the viewership pays for the effort..!

Our Revenue comes from the conviction that we build in to our customers..  and our products/pricing/and positioning..

and    -not telling them, what better/worse options are around.. when those options shown are not in our control..

Stupid Idea.. IMHO..

Life is the Art of drawing without an Eraser !
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 0 14

Hi Paddy,

I agree with the others. It makes little sense to pay for an e-commerce engine such as Shopify, and then direct visitors and their wallets to other stores.

Your store has to stand on its own feet, and be profitable from sales. If it is not profitable in time after a solid marketing effort, then change the offering, or reconsider the business.

Ads should be left to bloggers and the likes. Ads most certainly have their place, but not on an e-commerce site when you are paying for an e-commerce engine.

Best of luck,

Graham

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Pour money into it in the right way. We have Google & Facebook's agency accounts for rent. The reach is much higher than personal accounts and the money you can pay is unlimited. Are you interested in?

Please contac me via skype: vntanglong

email: nttung53bcbls@gmail.com

0 Likes