Sitemap is not updating?

3 0 0

Hi everyone, 

I have a store https://onemeth.com and have recently done a redesign to the site architecture. 

Meaning collections have been removed, the navigation and ux has been largely updated and some pages have been added.
I recently received an email from Google Webmaster notifying that there are 165 missing links (404's). 
I have checked the log from googles crawl and can see that they are attempting to reach old URL for missing pages and collections. 
I have since checked the xml data for the store and can see that none of the new architure has been updated. 
It seems like shopify doesn't allow users to edit the sitemap.xml and it would also be a grueling process to log every page manually. Is there anyway to refresh the cache or have shopify attempt to regenerate the sitemap? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2367 163 339

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. ?

Completely agree with you, updating this manually seems very grueling and not very feasible. One way of refreshing this or updating it is to re-submit it to Google. Google doesn't automatically recrawl after changes are made, the best practice is to resubmit after any significant changes, and thus re-submitting it can do this for the entire website and not one by one. Shopify also has a helpful guide about verifying your domain with third-party sources for not just your website but other aspects of it such as Pinterest for example. 

If this doesn't work, please don't hesitate to reach back out via this thread to dig deeper into it. 

All the best, 

Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I am encountering the same problem when using the SEMRush Site Audit tool. It is showing "11 incorrect pages found in sitemap.xml". The SEMRush Site Audit tool is run in realtime, so its pulling the latest version of the sitemap. Can someone advise whether there is a way to regenerate a fresh version of the sitemap from scratch on Shopify?

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2367 163 339

Hi Richard, 

I can confirm that it isn't possible to submit your sitemap with Shopify itself. But if you are seeing errors, submitting the sitemap from another source will more than likely just come back with the same errors. The best way I know is to do it through Google. Shopify has a helpful guide on how to do this here and Google has their own guide for this which you can see here. Through Google, it should show you what the errors are and what to do, to correct them. 

Hope that helps. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hello HOBB5,

You can set the 301 redirections for those category pages to reduce the 404 pages issue from Google webmaster tool.

Same issue with my website: mybabyminiworld.com I have added more products into the collection category section but how to update the sitemap.xml from Shopify.

Please let me know the solution for auto-update sitemap.xml 

Thanks

Linda

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Linda,

Hope you are doing great !

Very straight question from your end. I have gone through with your website url mybabyminiworld.com /sitemap.xml and I can see its correctly implemented but I need to perform detail analyses on your back end so is it possible to provide me the access of your Store and provide you suggestions to it ?

You can assign staff access on seo.ebiztrait@gmail.com

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Mark

0 Likes