Sitemaps and a huge shortcoming - we need an image sitemap so Google will index our images.

Highlighted
Excursionist
28 0 18

Shopify automatically generates a sitemap.xml file.  If you look at the file you will see all it does is list other sitemaps that Shopify generates.  My sitemap.xml lists four. 

They are:/sitemap_blogs_1.xml, /sitemap_collections_1.xml, /sitemap_pages_1.xml, and /sitemap_products_1.xml

Sort of goofy but I can add all of those to Google manually and they get indexed.

Still,this leaves a huge shortfall.  We need to add an image sitemap to Google so they can index the images.  I can, and have built an image-sitemap.xml file.  But there is no way to get it in the root directory.  Shopify is built so we cannot access that area.  

To complicate things more, none of my images are under my URL.  They are all under the URL http ://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/.....  But when you go to Google Webmaster Tools you can only enter sitemaps in your URL.  They don't have to be in the root to manualy enter but they have to be in your website and not at another URL.

I have read the posts where people never get their images indexed and it doesn't surprise me.  As far as Google is concerned those aren't their images.  The imageas belong to cdn.shopify.com and not any Shopify stores.

Is there any way around this?   

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
28 0 18

Well I just finished reading a lot about this in the forum.  Apparently it has been a problem from day 1 and nothing has been done about it.

So I ask, since Shopify has a script that automatically generates sitemap.xml files and places them in our root directory, why don't they do the same thing and generate an image-sitemap.xml ?  It would be a great benefit to all.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

I'm seeing the same issue. None of the images are being indexed by webmaster tools. We also seem to have a similar issue with collections. We use collections for brands and product categories. How can we benefit from doing On Page SEO on those pages if google doesn't even index them?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
52 0 1

Well, last night i have seen some html code in webmaster tool, which is really helpful for me. So, I would like to suggest you, just search your query in Google, I assure you, you will get a better result.

http://nationkart.com/
0 Likes