So what do you do when you send out discount coupons/promo codes and nobody buys?

Sharon15
Pathfinder
99 0 29

Granted I'm still in the "reputation building" phase of my new shop so I expect sales to be low.  But I'm noticing that even when I send out discount coupons/promo codes, while people are browsing, they're not buying.  Has this happened to anybody else here?

Here is what my current promotion is:  It's Adopt a Greyhound Month and I've gotten several rescue organizations to agree to hand out coupons to their adoptees this month.  The coupons are 10% off all dog products and also a chance to win a free dog toy at the end of the month.  It states that you have to buy something to be qualified for the toy drawing.  I have the coupons set to expire at the end of May, to allow people plenty of time to browse and shop.  

In return for essentially advertising my store to their adoptees, I'm blogging about each of the participating organizations.  I'm sharing my articles on all of my social media outlets:  Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.  Getting lots of people reading the articles.

I'm seeing that this has brought lots of visitors to the store, but no purchases yet.  Should I just be patient?

0 Likes
Anne_M
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 59

Hi Sharon,

Thanks so much for posting in the forums!

Such a tough one, especially when you see the cutie dogs :) It sounds like you are doing some really great work there! I wonder if you would also be able to add some more information about your business to the homepage, so people can see exactly what you are doing! 

I was thinking you might like to use a Free Shipping Toolbar app, to show offers/ competitions at the top of the page so that customers will see them when they come into the store as well perhaps!

Perhaps you could use the themes slideshow to mention some of the organisations you are working with for anyone who visits your page!

If you have a lot of readers in your blog, you can actually add what are called Buy buttons into the blog post so that people can buy from them directly! You can post Shopify buy buttons onto any website you have access to and it will like the sale and all the details right back to your checkout!

Are you using Google Analytics at all Sharon? That would help you track the movement of customers through your store and find out where they are leaving! We have a help doc on that here and there is a free app in the app store called Analytics buddy to help you read your google analytics more easily! 

I hope this helps!

Anne :)

0 Likes
Sharon15
Pathfinder
99 0 29

Hi Anne, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm using Lucky Orange for analytics, which has been super helpful.  Most people look at a product or two and leave, some browse quite a bit and then leave.  I'm considering adding an exit poll to ask people if they didn't find what they were looking for to help figure out why they're leaving.

But for the coupons....  I'm just surprised I guess.  I thought the random drawing for a free dog toy would be good enticement to use the coupons, but it's looking like I'm wrong.  It seems that those who advise that you can draw traffic to your store with coupons and promo codes are not correct.  Unless I'm doing it wrong somehow!

0 Likes
Tim60
Tourist
4 0 1

Sharon - We had a similar issue initially as well.  Oddly enough, despite posting coupon codes to different aggregation sites, to our Bing Ads landing page and other areas, we had few people actually taking time to apply coupon codes during purchase. Still trying to figure that one out.

I think your strategy is fairly sound here: you've linked with a physical partner and agreed to help create content for them/give them a shout-out, and in exchange they are helping promote your brand. 

It does take time: many people will build up a site and start panicking at the end of the first week when no sales occur, and begin questioning whether they had the right message or approach.  That your coupons are valid for an extended time is very good - though I might have suggested until June, allowing more time for a decision to be necessary.

I would think of it this way: I have a dog, but he's satisfied with his current toys.  In the back of my mind, I know that he'll shred them within the next two weeks or so, and I'll have to look for something amusing which will hopefully last a bit longer.  It'll be around this time that I'll remember that the vet or rescue organization had given me a coupon (or I saw a brochure or POP in their office).  In the meantime, it would be important to consider ways to repeat your message and plant the seed that eventually leads me to your site.  

Inviting me to create and share content ( = my pet with your company's toys) is important as well: Something like #SomethingSpecialPets on Instagram, with a random person chosen each week/month to receive a discount. (You may find that instead of 10% off, a concrete $10 off may appeal more to your audience.)

Finally: I really like your blog - it's very clear you care much for animals. I might surface some of this content on your front page in link and summary form. I would also recommend that in addition to showing a cute photo each week (you're currently doing this), that you also display a few of the top products for each collection - or at least a graphic drawing more attention to what kinds of pets you cater to most (Birds/Bunnies/Cats/Dogs/...).

0 Likes