Social Share to Reveal Link - - How to ?

The_Social_Butl
4 0 0

I need help here. I have a step by step guide ebook. Which i want to give out for free.

But i want they to share my article before they get the book. 

So i know there are some buttons which hides the content until its click on eg like my fb, shore on twitter kinda thing. once clicked on and shared, it reveals the download link.

How do i code it to the blogpost? or if there is an app.

any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Max
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 80

Hi, The Social Butlerfly.

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

This option in the Rich Text Editor might be a good solution for you - link to a file in page content. This can be done directly on a page or within a blog post. This means you can link to a select word, or words, or a button image if you'd prefer.

It sounds like you might be interested in considering a Digital Download option to connect blog readers to a product page for download. This would enable you to track who downloads the files rather than just anyone who clicks within the blog.  

I hope that this helps point you n the right direction!

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
The_Social_Butl
4 0 0

I don't think you understand my question at all. I don't want my download link to be revealed until they share my page on social media.

0 Likes
Matthew_Skala1
Shopify Partner
103 0 15

The simplest thing to do would be to have some Javascript attached to the "share" button that makes the link visible once the share button has been clicked.  Unless there just happens to be an existing "app" to do it (which is unlikely) this code will probably have to be custom-written.  It shouldn't be a big job for someone with Javascript skills, but if you can't do it yourself, you'll probably have to pay someone for it.  (Not me; I know enough Javascript I could probably puzzle it out, but I'm not in that business.)

Be aware that this kind of client-side thing won't be highly secure.  Someone who wants to read the source code of your page and interpret the Javascript, will be able to figure out the link without clicking "share."  If you wanted to be really secure, you'd have to demand that they share your link in public and then actually go look on the social media site to see that it was shared - less instantaneous much more complicated, especially if you wanted it to be automated.

Also be aware that this kind of pay-for-share thing may violate, or come close to violating, the terms of service of some social media Web sites.

0 Likes