Submitting Sitemap to Google

Excursionist
25 0 5

Read my responses on this thread and give it a full 2 weeks before you start worrying about it. 

0 Likes
1 0 2

FIXED!!!  For us the solution was simply to write a Blog so the Blog pages weren't empty.  The moment we did this and resubmitted our sitemap URL, Google Search Console went green and we saw page counts appear for our https://www.causticcommentary.com domain.

Since the sitemap.xml has four categories (products, pages, collections and blogs), you might want to verify you have at least one of each item to be sure empty sections aren't your problem.  

I didn't see anyone else talking about this as a fix, and we searched far and wide.  Hope this saves others some hair pullin' ...

Also to the Shopify programmers out there .... you might want to add some extra logic to hide the blogs sitemap page if it's empty.  I think you'll have a lot of people encounter this one and have no clue what to do since it's not an obvious fix.

2 Likes
Highlighted

It doesnt relfect quickly to google analytics...

it takes some time to fetch the sitemap...somtime it takes 48 hours or somtime one week too

i had same problem with my website sitemap  ...but its been fetch within a week

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 0

YES THIS IS EXACTLY WHY!  Thank you so much you fixed our problem.  Shopify really love the service but while Google is imperfect I really think this is a huge miss on Shopify's part to either removed the blog post sitemap entry from the parent site map xml when a blog does not exist or generate a hidden blank placeholder to avoid the GSC error from happening.  Especially considering that this is such a common problem that soooo many users are experiencing.  You all def dropped the ball on identifying the underlying cause and keep giving customers the run around on this support site about how to actually properly fix it.  Thank goodness some users have found out the truth and shared it.  This is the 1 billionth support entry I have come across and finally found the correct answer.  Please update your code Shopify to help people not lose their minds when the find that google cannot read their sites just because of a null blog....

0 Likes
1 0 0

BRO YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT SPOT ON!! 

My collections was empty, and since you pointed out that it got fixed after you added a blog. I figured to check out my collections. I set it up and immediately submitted and it got selected! 

Im guessing a lot of new ones face this issue! 

0 Likes
1 0 0

I had the same problem with "couldnt fetch". I went to "URL Inspection" and put the homepage in, it came back with success, then asked to index. That worked. Then deleted the old sitemap.xml, then reentered it. it came back with success. Maybe try that?

0 Likes