Sudden drop in Alexa rank

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

I just noticed a sudden drop in my website's Alexa rank since December (from 644K to 1358K in 3 months)! I don't remember making any significant changes to the site and I continue to get similar traffic & sales that I had earlier. How do I figure out what could possibly be going wrong?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 0

Hi there!

Alexa ratings past the 100,000 mark are extremely susceptible to very small changes in traffic, not only on your site but also on everyone else's sites. Because it's a comparative ranking system, even if your site maintains the same amount of unique traffic, other sites may still surpass you if their traffic increases. 

Essentially, sites with relatively low measured traffic will not be accurately ranked by Alexa. They do not receive enough data from their sources to make rankings beyond 100,000 statistically meaningful. (Source)

You can find more information about this phenomenon on the Alexa website.

Hope that helps! Have a super day!

Alan | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks for the explanation, Alan. I also realized that I had switched to a different Shopify theme during this time, and a few of the key SEO optimizations were missing in the new theme. That was probably the other reason for the drop in rankings.

0 Likes