Syncing additional customer data fields from to MailChimp

zoeevans
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi All,

I'm currently setting up my store and have decided to use MailChimp for my email marketing. My website is a wedding website and I want to use MailChimp to send out Wedding Reminder emails to people signed up to my mailing list based on the date of the wedding. Eg. 9 months to go, 3 months to go, 2 weeks to go etc.

I can do this using MailChimps Automation feature, however to achieve this I need to capture my customers wedding date when they sign up to my mailing list or create a customer account.

I have worked out how to do this for mailing list sign up via a customised embedded MailChimp SignUp Form, however this subscriber info just goes to MailChimp and does not appear in the Shopify Customer tab, as it would if I used the Shopify Newsletter Sign Up Form included in my theme (Debut). - Not ideal.

Is there a way to use the embedded MailChimp SignUp Form and get this data to sync to the Shopify Customer tab in my dashboard? Or a way to add an additional field to the Shopify Newsletter Sign Up Form included in my theme to capture wedding date which would then sync to MailChimp?

I would like to capture this info on the Customer Create Account Page. I have managed to add a tickbox to say they agree to marketing emails which feeds through to the Customer Page in my dashboard (using info here: https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/communication/get-consent-for-promotional-emails), I have also added and additional form field which captures wedding date and appends the info to the Customer Notes section in the dashboard (using instructions here: https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/communication/get-more-information-with-customer-regis...).

The new customer info automatically syncs with MailChimp - however the new Wedding Date Field does not. How do I get this to sync, or is there a betterway of capturing this info?

I would also like to capture this info if a customer signs up to an account after checkout - but I have no idea how to do this, any ideas would be appreciated?

Am I approaching this in the right way?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Zoe

Gabriel_Meisel
1 0 1

Hello,

Did you managed to figure this out?

Thanks

Pepe_HPN
2 0 0

Also wanted to bump this and see if there was a solution. I used this technique (links to Shopify help page) to add custom data fields (gender, age, etc) to my Shopify account creation form. It stores this additional data as a "Customer Note." I'm trying to figure out how to get MailChimp to pull in this data. 

0 Likes
Pepe_HPN
2 0 0

Also wanted to bump this and see if there was a solution. I used this technique (links to Shopify help page) to add custom data fields (gender, age, etc) to my Shopify account creation form. It stores this additional data as a "Customer Note." I'm trying to figure out how to get MailChimp to pull in this data. 

0 Likes
Admin_W_N
1 0 0

Hi,

I am trying to do something similar. Were you able to figure this out?

Thanks,

Vishal

0 Likes
Zoe_Cunningham
1 0 0

No, didn't manage to do it :(

0 Likes
Tim_Burgess
6 0 0

Hi Zoe,

The technical term for these extra fields is 'MetaField' - see https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/liquid/objects/metafield

That page has a link to a list of apps that manage these MetaFields. As far as copying/syncing the fields over to MailChimp, I'm not sure, other than knowing the MailChimp app doesn't do it. Maybe you could take a look at the MetaField apps to see if one does?

I have an app that adds data to the Customer but I pull the fields all out into a CSV file and then import that into MailChimp for marketing purposes.

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
229 1 117

Hi all,

As @Pepe_HPN pointed out, Shopify's tutorial for adding fields and saving data to customer note doesn't cut it.

To handle custom data like this you'll need to use an app like Customer Fields. You can save date fields, such as wedding date or date of birth, to the customer record which is stored in our app's database as well as Shopify metafields. This allows you to access the data in a few ways.

We've built an integration with Zapier so you can easily get this data into MailChimp or another email service provider (ESP), CRM, or another database.

I'm happy to address any questions about using Customer Fields to collect dates or other unique data from your customers on Shopify! 

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields ✪ 4.9/5 (242 reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪ 4.7/5 (203 reviews)