The 1000$ Question

Highlighted
9 0 0

What can I do with 1000$ to generate traffic and sales? SEO, SEM or Google Adwords?

We are a jewelry company with almost no web traffic. We invested so much time and money in the items themselves, to the point that we neglected the most important thing: bringing people to our website! We used Facebook ads for a while, but it wasn't quite affective.

I would appreciate any piece of advice!

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
83 0 12

Hi Tom,

SEO, SEM, Google Adwords and Facebook ads are all things you should avoid early on when launching a business. The investment in time and money just doesn't do anything useful unless you're paying top dollar. SEO service providers are really just taking a shot in the dark as no one truly knows search engine algorithms and can deliver traffic.

The $1,000 answer is fairly simple. Generate great content on social platforms to build a user base that is interested. Unfortunately you are among tough company, with hundreds of thousands of other jewelry brands out there pitching the same customers. Prepare for it to take time, but your business shouldn't be a fly-by-night, you need to commit long term.

If you would like to discuss some social media strategy to build up your user base you can contact me any time.

One of my references is my personal brand which uses no paid advertising at www.dawggrillz.com and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/dawggrillz . This brand currently generates over $12,000/month in sales through e-commerce, retailer and distributor channels.

Scott Luscombe
www.creatibly.com
scott@creatibly.com
905-550-5023

Creatibly Inc. Brains Matter. www.creatibly.com | scott@creatibly.com | 905-550-5023
1 Like
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hey Scott,

Thank you for your response! You brought up some really good points, that honestly made me even more confused (-: I agree that our company is in a very competitive and saturated industry, the jewelry industry, which makes it impossible for us to compete (considering our small budget). Moreover, unique content might be the only way for us to stand out. Having said that, we experienced with social media before, and the results haven't been uplifting to say the least. Maybe we are doing everything wrong, but I can't help myself from thinking that people won't buy fine jewelry (higher price range in comparison to other industries) via social media; eventually, when someone looks for an engagement ring, or a pendant I think he/she are more likely to search it on Google.

Regardless, please send me an email with the services you can provide within our budget!

Thanks again,

Tom.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
83 0 12

Hey Tom,

If I had $1,000 to spend the best way possible I would do the following:

1. Take 1-2 hours and align your brand with a market. You need to get your brand into the space where someone can say "Must Jewelry is known for _______." In this case I would focus on bracelets, the Earrings you only have a couple of options and they're very similar. Go through your site and really simplify it and build your niche. Have a look at www.miansai.com , you're a little higher on the price side but they have done a great job answering the alignment question.

2. Upgrade the image quality, this is a must. You're going up against some major players at your price point so you need to nail the lifestyle images and the product images have to explode off the screen and look like they're dripping wet and as shiny as possible. Remember the happy direction which basically looks like this slash / , all of your product photos are pointing down. It's all these subtle indicators that can make or break a sale.

3. When you upgrade the image quality you'll have tons of content for your social media. Play on it and make sure it adheres to strict guidelines so people know that when you post, it's you. When you have a great image, people will read your content, this is where you teach them something about what you're all about. People love buying things from brands who teach them something.

As always, if you don't think you can take all of this on yourself I'd be happy to help. You can do the above within that $1,000 budget you're looking at. Feel free to get in touch any time.

Scott Luscombe
www.creatibly.com
scott@creatibly.com
905-550-5023

Creatibly Inc. Brains Matter. www.creatibly.com | scott@creatibly.com | 905-550-5023
1 Like
Highlighted
9 0 0

Thank you for the amazing feedback, I realy appreciate it!

I'll get in touch with you soon.

Tom.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
83 0 12

You're welcome Tom, feel free to get in touch any time.

Scott Luscombe
www.creatibly.com
scott@creatibly.com
905-550-5023

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
255 1 48

There's also free marketing options, like the Ads exchange app, catered specifically to address this need. Check out the Ads app in the Shopify App Store https://apps.shopify.com/ads?ref=forums

Cheers,
Ryoma

Get free HQ ecommerce traffic - https://apps.shopify.com/ads

Source & dropship brand name products with the Product Catalog supplier Shopify app -https://apps.shopify.com/product-catalog

Increase your sales conversions with the free TRUST Shopify app -https://apps.shopify.com/trust

Contact: rito(a)varinode.com | Source & dropship brand name products with the Product Catalog supplier app - https://apps.shopify.com/product-catalog

Utilize Trust Seals with Reviews Generation to increase your sales conversions - https://apps.shopify.com/trust
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

Hey Tom,

I disagree with Scott's answer. Social media and social media advertising are great for brand awareness, but the jury is still out on how much they actually convert to sales. So, is your goal traffic (brand awareness) or sales? My company uses SEO, SEM, Adwords, Remarketing etc... and have a followings on Twitter, Pintrest, Facebook, Instagram etc... 45% of our converting traffic comes from Google, while only 4% from social media. I do not believe that you have to pick one vs the other. Twitter, Pintrest, Facebook, Instagram are all free platforms to create a presence. Adwords/remarketing are easily measurable and you can spend as much as you want as you set a budget. SEO/SEM are longer term projects but with the right long-tail key phrases can pay back in spades. Traffic IS NOT the goal to ANY online marketing.... you want "relevant visitors"... that is people looking to buy your specific/unique product(s). 

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
26 0 5

Hi Tom - resurrecting the topic a bit, but am wondering how you're doing with the marketing?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

Hello TomS199,

I have a very visual product and didn't have any luck with advertising, until I went with "Google Shopping". It displays a picture of your product, a short desctiption of it, and it's price. With my product, that's most of what a person needs to know, before they buy. AdWords completely stunk and didn't get me but a couple of sales total. AdWords cost me close to and sometimes, more than my profit on the sale. "Google Shopping" works real good for me. It's the ads with pictures, that you see when you search for a search term in Google's search engine. It also shows up when you click on the "Shopping" tab in Google's search engine. Shopify has a free app that automatically loads your products into your Google Shopping campaign. It takes the picture, price and creates the description for you. If you don't like what it comes up with, through your Google advertising account, you can upload a spread sheet with the exact picture and wording your want. Google will have to help you with that. The auto works good for me. To get your Google campaign working, I called Google and had them do it for me. After messing with the pain in the butox AdWords, I didn't have time to learn a whole new Google thing again. 

Another place, that I would think jewelry would be in front of a lot of people who like jewelry, is Pinterest. Shopify has a app where you can sell directly on Pinterest. 

The second place I would think would put your product in front of a lot of buyers, is Etsy. I don't know if Shopify has an app for it. You may have to open an Etsy account. I think they charge 2.9% on your sale. Pretty much the same as Shopify.

If you don't like that, Shopify has a button you can put on other websites. Your customer can purchase, by clicking on that button, and never even come to your website. 

Best of Luck to you.

Bill AccuBrass.com

1 Like