The ultimate pre-sale call to action???

Hugh_McMillan
1 0 0

Hi Shopify forum members! 

My business partner and are getting closer to launching our brand (go live June) and are considering the use of a pre-sale for our first product run. Our question is: For those of you with experience pre-saling products, what did you find worked well? Is there anything we should be watching out for? Notably, we are trying to decide on how to best design CTAs around pre-sales. 

As a bit of background:

Summit Warrior is being established with the adventure athlete in mind. Our aim is to make your adventure more successful and more enjoyable through the use of good nutrition practices and products. Our first product is effectively a protein supplement, known as Warrior Recovery Fuel. 

For those who check out the website we are very aware it needs a few changes to the user experience and content. This will be happening in the next couple of days, however we will welcome any feedback!

www.summitwarrior.com

Many thanks in advance,

Hugh and Andy. 

0 Likes
Iain_Russell1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
60 0 7

Hey, Hugh and Andy! 

Iain here, 

I checked out the site lovely work so far! Really love what you have done with the home page there! When it comes to pre-orders there is a few things to consider, but worry not we do have some great resources to help you out along the way. We do have a guide in our docs (here) about how you can create a product template for your pre-orders. One other issue to take note of with pre-orders is that Shopify Payments has an authorization period of 7 days. To authorize payments for a longer period, you must use a third party gateway (here). That being said a clear call to action title as well as information on the product notifying the customer that it is a pre-order are good steps to take to avoid any issues with customers. Personally, I like wording like Pre-order now available, or action titles that share a sense of urgency. Another option for setting up that pre-order can be with the help of an app like Pre-Order Manger (here) and being a free app it can be worth taking a look at. 

I hope that helps provide a little insight there! And of course you can reach out to us 24/7 365 (here)

-Iain ☺

0 Likes
Olivia_Stanfill
1 0 0

Hello Lain, what does this mean---One other issue to take note of with pre-orders is that Shopify Payments has an authorization period of 7 days.---?  I want to pre-sell a particular design that a customer will pay for knowing that delivery will be in 2-4 weeks. I would like to collect the money when they place the order not when it actually ships.

Thanks, Jill 

0 Likes
Iain_Russell1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
60 0 7

Hey Olivia, 

I would love to clarify a little. With pre-orders there can be a risk with customers not understanding that there is a longer wait time for shipping. What some merchants will do it look to find a payment provider that will let you Authorize a charge for a longer period so the customer is not charged until closer to shipping. You can totally accept the funds right after the order has been processed it is just important to communicate that to your customer to know that the item will not arrive for X amount of time. 

I hope that helps a little there Olivia ☺

Iain ☺

0 Likes