This Facebook Targeting Option Helped Us Generate A 2,700% ROI

Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 22

Running a successful Facebook ad involves dozens of variables. Of these variables, personalization is one of the most important. Your ad needs to speak to the person viewing it, which creates a dilemma for the advertiser. You want to create an ad that reaches a large number of people, however the larger your reach, the more general and impersonal the ad. This is why retargeting and dynamic product ads have become so incredibly popular. You can reach large numbers of people with incredibly personalized and relevant ads.

Retargeting and dynamic product ads are great when it comes to displaying highly personalized ads to people who have already visited your site. But what about the 99.9% of people who have never heard of your brand? How do you create a personalized ad that truly speaks to someone who has never visited your site before? This is where you need to get creative with Facebook’s detailed targeting options. The one we have used at Startup Drugz with incredible success is the “upcoming birthday” targeting option.

The “upcoming birthday” targeting option allows you to display an ad to Facebook users who will be celebrating a birthday within the next 7 days. This gives you the ability to not only wish someone a happy birthday, but also provide them with a birthday gift like a discount or free product. Here is our current birthday ad:

The results we have seen with this campaign have been incredible. So far the ROI is an astounding 2,700%! Beyond the ROI, we have received more positive feedback from the new customers we gained due to this ad than any ad we’ve ever run (see mention below). The beauty of this ad is that it uses a targeting option that is dynamic, so the ad’s audience is updated everyday. This helps eliminate ad fatigue by ensuring the frequency never gets too high.

While the “upcoming birthday” targeting option is the one we have experienced incredible results with, there are several other targeting options that your brand can use to help keep your ads personalized for that first interaction. Here are just a few:

Friends of Upcoming Birthday: This is almost identical to the targeting we use except instead of the ad viewer being the one with the birthday, they have a friend with an upcoming birthday. This targeting option would be a great way to promote your product as an awesome gift idea.

Newly Engaged: This option allows you to target Facebook users who just got engaged. If you run a company that sells anything in the wedding space, such as dresses, event space or offer registries, you should be using this targeting option to create highly personalized ads.

Anniversary Within 30 Days: This option allows you to target Facebook users who will be celebrating a wedding anniversary within the next 30 days. If you run a company that sells jewelry/flowers or are a hotel or airline this could be a great targeting option for you.

Please share your brand’s experiences with these targeting options, along with any other options we may have missed in the comments below. If you would like help with your retargeting, email automation or Facebook advertising feel free to email me at max@startupdrugz.com.

CEO Startup Drugz startupdrugz.com Retargeting, Email Automation & Marketing Funnel Expert
6 Likes
1 0 0

Great post Max, thanks for sharing. I'd stumbled across the Birthday targetting options a few days ago but wasn't sure if it was worth checking out - I'll definetly give it a blast over todays campaigns.

P.S. love your products and your hustle, keep it up! ;)

0 Likes
1 0 0

Awesome results and advice Max! Thanks for sharing!

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Awesome ideas, the birthday targeting may not work for my niche medical equipment but it is definelty worth trying if you are in nearly any retail sector. Quick question you create some really sharp graphics for your add to you design the adds yourself with photoshop or do you use a software? 

thanks 

Aaro

CSA Medical Supply

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 12

Oh man! Usually I skim over these posts as spam, but I'm glad I clicked through!

Fricken' fantastic idea!

“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.” - John Muir
0 Likes
1 0 0

Great post Max, hadn't thought of this but it really makes sense. Targets an audience who's probably already considering making a purchase, then adds impulse to the buying decision.

Marc

0 Likes
3 0 0

This has been something that I've been wanting to do! However my issue is I have a childrens clothing store and I need to target based on the childs birthday. Any ideas on how to do FB advertising based on a birthday but gear it towards their children somehow?

I'd really also like to do a birthday program on my website thats based on the childs birthday. Basially a app that asks for each childs birthday when registering then automatically generate a single use discount code a month or so before their birthday and emails it to them, along with a reminder a few days before. What would be really slick is it it tied the person registering to their FB page then instead of emailing them the discount code and such it could send it as a FB message and then a Happy Birthday message on the birthday...or if it was the childs birthday a message like "tell abc Happy Birthday from Whoopsie Daisy!

Someone want to build that?  :)

0 Likes
1 0 0

Sweet! 

0 Likes
2 0 1

Where in Facebook ads do you find the targeting birthday option?

Thanks

Douglas

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 1

Great marketing strategy, thank you !

0 Likes