Throw me a life jacket.....please!! Advice on homepage SEO please

Highlighted
Excursionist
30 0 4

Evening folks

I'm currently drowning in SEO newsletters, YouTube videos and website checklists in an attempt to improve my on page SEO, particulalry my homepage which I feel isn't nearly optimised enough. I'm playing the long game with an aim of improving organic search traffic for my specific niche and key words but currently, can't see the wood for the trees.

I understand that ideally, I need a H1 on my homepage which contains a short snippet including my keywords. As far as I can see, the only H1 on my homepage contains a logo and no wording. How can I edit this please? I can view the code via 'View Source' in broswer but can't find where to edit this in my theme. If I try and add a H1 in my theme.liquid, it comes up on all of my pages! 

What have you found to be the best way to improve SEO on your homepage. I've worked hard on my page title and meta

Throw me a life jacket and some sound advice PLEASE!!  Any shared experience very much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Craig 

1 Like
Highlighted

I need a H1 on my homepage which contains a short snippet including my keywords. As far as I can see, the only H1 on my homepage contains a logo and no wording. How can I edit this please? I can view the code via 'View Source' in broswer but can't find where to edit this in my theme. If I try and add a H1 in my theme.liquid, it comes up on all of my pages! 

Craig 

Hey Craig,

As you mentioned, you tried to add H1 but it reflected all of your pages! > it is due to the common header section! you have the common header for all the pages. so if you do any changes, it will reflect on the whole site.

So, add a new header section which is limited to a targeted page only. You have to do the same for all your pages where you want custom headers! if you are not an IT guy, consult your developer or a friend.

GET FREE PAYSTUB INSTANTLY > 1st default stub free worth $4.99
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1208 60 359

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the SEO jungle - it is a real challenge, especially at the beginning. Shopify themes are a little tricky when it comes to adding H1 to the homepage - honestly I wouldn't stress over it too much. The best way to get started with on-page SEO is to optimize your Google snippets first [meta titles and meta descriptions] for the homepage, all extra pages, products, collections and blog posts.

Then you can add alt tags to all images, write unique product descriptions, add H tags within the content on the extra pages and blog posts, and optimize URLs as well.

Don't try to do all things at once :)

Consider also adding written content to the website on a regular basis. Google loves written content, so blogging regularly can help you improve your SEO. Blogging is powerful - it helped me get to Google page #1 in only four days with this blog post: Breadcrumbs in SEO.

Feel free to post your URL and I will do a quick SEO scan for you.

Also, check out my YouTube channel, I explain a lot about on-page SEO for Shopify: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLti8pfxsGIc2fo_jmu1Sxg

Here are a few guides that might help:

Looking for a more detailed critique? Reserve your website audit here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique 

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Expert | Ecommerce SEO Wizard

0 Likes