Top bar message and SEO

Excursionist
97 0 7

I don't know weather or not I should put in a top bar message: https://mountainherbs.net/

On one hand side it could be a bit distractive (I want visitors to go to the shopping pages) one the other hand I might place som keywords there. How important are top bar messages for SEO?

What do you think of them in general?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 0 14

Just depends on what you want to write, and what H tag it is. If it's an H1 tag, then you will be left with multiple H1's across your site which is bad for SEO, as it goes against web standards. 

How I would look at it is, Will having a top bar message improve my customers experience in any way? 

It's better to optimise your site for your customers and not for seo. 

Alasdair

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
36 0 6

You should and the reason for that is because when a user lands on your website, he/she is confused about what you do. There is text on the image which is not clear. Having a crisp title will help you position yourself. If users understand what you do, they would want to do more which implies >> more time spent on site >> lesser bounce rate. 

iZooto.com - Web Push Notifications for E-Commerce, Bloggers and More
0 Likes
Excursionist
97 0 7

In short: you would rather have a h1 tag in the top bar than a picture with a text (which is no tag at all), and you say the text should be clearer. My problem is a bit that I sell mainly medicinal platns but as well culinary herbs, perennial edible plants and berries - I am not sure if the message should address all three or only the medicinal herbs.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 0 14

So what shopify does is it uses the alt tag of your image as it's H1 tag. 

Right click - > view page source - > CTRL F - search for <H1 , and you'll all the info that is included in your H1. 

Make a top bar message and see if the top bar message pops up as an H1 as well, if not, happy days. 

I doubt it will be, 

You do have 6 product pages that have multiple H1 tags on them though. 

Alasdair

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
Excursionist
97 0 7

Thanks! That with the picture is really good! I'll try that.

How did you find the pages with the dublicate h1 tags? I doubt that you looked through them.

I might pack the shopping info in the top bar, to declutter the homepage and it's visible everywhere.

0 Likes
Tourist
42 0 1

We always ecourage it. a) You can get accross your branding very quickly, b) Shipping information or deals ie. discount codes on them are very converting.

We have done A/B testing and have found no difference in SEO either.

Kind regards

Jo

Shopili.com

http://shopili.com Verified Shopify Experts
0 Likes