Troubles with Shopify Blogging Platform

2 0 1

I am a content strategist by day and owner of 8PoundPanther.com by night. I hate my blog on my Shopify site because the blogging page doesn't show any post images and is not easy to customize. It makes my content look text heavy and boring. Is this challenge because of the theme I picked or the Shopify platform itself? I would like my blog to look similar to the Shopify blog - which I'm sure is built on the Shopify site. 

Do I need to use a Weebly or Wordpress site and just integrate? I'm sure I'll lose some SEO juice that way, but I'm sure that potential customers are bouncing from my blog page because it sucks. Please help! 

1 Like
Excursionist
25 0 4

YES THANKYOU!  We just recently migrated our blog back over to the site from wordpress for SEO reasons but Shopify PLEASE pay attention to this.  Blogging on Shopify sucks compared to Wordpress and it sucks to have to make the decision to have a worse looking blog with fewer readers to have it live on your website. 

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
152 0 16

You can be a good shopping cart. You can be the best blogging platform. But you can't be both. :)

Josh, will you please share, why exactly you decided to move back? I've been sitting on the fence for some time with this choice.

★ Shopify Customer/Order Auto Tag App → 99rabbits.com ★
0 Likes

If your blogging page doesn't show images, customize it so it does. That is not Shopify's problem. You have the functionality to do it.

Last year I published the Related Blog Posts app which improves Shopify's blog functionality. It's free, users love it (see the reviews), and quick to install: https://apps.shopify.com/related-blog-posts

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 4

@Stas, I moved back primarily for SEO reasons.  It's crazy to be spending the resources to create this content and not be racking up the keywords and 300-500 visits a post for our primary domain.  We also are nabbing at least a few conversions per blog post on our website vs. basically zero on wordpress.  It's clumsy and difficulty to navigate back and forth (at least the way we had it set up), so while our blog performed better on wordpress we were actually losing potential paying customers to our blog who didn't come back.

@Joshua, my biggest beef is not having a primary picture displayed with the titles on my homepage.  Would this app solve that?  I think just seeing titles are a hard sell.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
152 0 16

It would be interesting to know what exactly caused this differences in rankings. AFAIK, WP has much more SEO-friendly features.

★ Shopify Customer/Order Auto Tag App → 99rabbits.com ★
0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 4

But is it possible to have a wordpress blog within your shopify site without routing someone out to your blog and then back agian if they want to shop?

0 Likes
2 0 1

Thanks for your reply... my primary concern is the same as @joshquinn. I want my featured photo to show up on the blog page, until I'm able to get that... at the very least, I'm switching to Wordpress. @JoshQuinn, I think you would have to go the other way around... you would need to have the Shopify site integrated into your wordpress site as the shopping cart.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9974 84 1491

@Lindsay - You could show the featured image from your Shopify blog post on the store home page. If your theme doesn't do that natively you can certainly tweak the code so it does.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes