Using the same meta descriptions on different product pages?

Solved
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi guys. I made a template for all my product meta descriptions that I'm planning to just copy and paste away until I read something about duplicate meta descriptions. Some sources said it wouldn't be a problem on the shopify platform, while some said it will.

Basically, I sell shirts, and for each shirt I'll be using the same meta description. Will it be counted as a duplicate even though the product title is different?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
917 129 123

Hello ,

If your meta description is the same as those for other pages, the user experience in Google will be hampered.
Although page titles might vary, all pages will appear to be the same because all the descriptions are the same.

Want to modify or custom changes on store hire us .
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

I see, is there a way to remedy this? I read something about canonical urls but I don't quite understand how to it for shopify. Also, I run the products descriptions as well, will this also affect the serp?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Partner
917 129 123

Canonical is not give you proper solution for this.
If you intentionally want/need/are tempted to create a duplicate meta description, you’d be better off leaving the description blank. Google will pick a snippet from the page containing the keyword used in the query.

For Product Description duplicate content :
Google will find out when meta descriptions trick visitors into clicking and might even penalize the sites that do this. But apart from that, misleading descriptions will probably increase bounce rate. It’s a bad idea for that reason alone. You want the meta description to match the content on the page.

Want to modify or custom changes on store hire us .
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 1

Got it. Thanks for the advice!

I guess there's now way around writing the descriptions for each, lol.

Thanks again!

1 Like
Excursionist
55 0 6

When your description tags are the same, all pages will appear to be the same. You should classify and write different description tags for each product as well, google filter will detect the product and be more appreciated

0 Likes