Verify your domain & submitting your sitemap?

Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi,

I've recently launched my site, but there are a couple of things it looks like haven't done, and when going through the information on shopify, seem a bit to technical to impliment with my understanding.

- Verifying your domain

- Submitting your sitemap

Obviouslly I want to get the best out of google etc with my site content, and I'm guessing if these aren't implimented then it'll go against me, so if anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

I have google analytics running which is tracking everything, but I guess doing the above will help the site with regards search etc. 

thanks

phil

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
235 0 24

Hey Phil!

I'm Daryoush - on the extraordinary Guru team! :)

I'm glad to see you want to submit your sitemap to Google, that's a great idea! Google automatically indexes just about all websites on the internet every so often when they crawl the internet. Submitting your sitemap forces them to index your website if they haven't done so in a while. It's not as complex as you think to do this! Please take a look at this Shopify Doc for additional information, just remember to first verify your domain with Google.

Once you have done this, head over to the Google Search Console -> create a property using your website URL -> then type in /sitemap.xml to submit your sitemap. Google will then take the time needed to index your website.

I hope this helps and have a lovely weekend!

Cheers,
Daryoush

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi Daryoush,

Thanks for your reply and information. Those links/pages that you’ve mentioned are the ones I’ve actually already read, and found hard to follow. I couldn’t get any further than the start - i.e I don’t know where the root directory is and then I saw more code etc, and verify with google etc, (so couldn’t complete what was needed). Are there any other options, help to get this done?

many thanks

phil

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi,

can I just go to the google console page, and go through the 4 stages. 1 download that html file (line of text) 2 upload that to my site 3 click on the link to confirm 4 click to verify.

if so, what do I do about point 2? When it says upload to your site, where/who do you do this? Seems so straight forward, but when you don’t know, you don’t know how/where to do it!

many thanks

phil

0 Likes