Weird Traffic from Middle China

Highlighted
7 0 0

so for the past few days, I've been working on improving my site SEO. backend optimizations, alt tags, product description etc. I work on my product description by myself thru diligent research. I actually got a peak score of "69" on mobile and "98" on desktop in Page Speed Insights, which tells me I am doing something right.

But then, since day 2 or 3, I got this weird traffic from China that I've been getting everyday. I should be happy for organic traffic right? But then, I am dropshipping and I know China should be the last country I want to sell to.

I'm afraid of getting spoofed, hacked, DDOS-attacked. I already talked to a Shopify support about this and they said Shopify stores are DDOS-attack proof. Still, it is bothering me. Just minutes from this post, I had 4 live sessions (they were only 1 or 2 at a time this past week). Attached is a geo location ( in yellow circle) of where the traffic is coming from.

Anybody experiencing this dilemma? How do I handle it?

Weird China Traffic.JPG 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

For the record, I'm not "racist" or something. I did my due diligence before reporting it.

https://technode.com/2019/07/08/china-is-the-worlds-largest-source-of-ddos-attacks-but-its-share-is-...

Looking back a few weeks earlier, it might have been my fault I guess. I wanted to drive organic traffic to my site so I hired someone from F***** to do the work. I saw consistent 2.8/2.9k visitors per day site traffic, but I figured it was oddly static so I cancelled the order, figuring it was "faked" organic traffic.

Sure enough, the "organic" traffic went away as soon as I cancelled the order. And that is when the "weird" traffic from China started coming in.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi yumiandmiguel-

Every site on the web gets hit with bot traffic from users from all over the world. Most of it is harmless. It can come and go in waves. Some estimates say bot traffic makes up 1/3 of all web traffic. Shopify does a great job of keeping your site secure  so you don't need to be overly concerned about rogue traffic hitting your site, but if you get an order that seems suspicious, then be more cautious.

Where are you seeing these reports - in Google Analytics? If so, you can select an option to block bot traffic from Google Analytics so you are not seeing this traffic in your reports. It won't keep the bots from hitting your site but it will keep it out of the reports. Here is a good post on how to set the blocking in GA: https://www.searchenginewatch.com/2014/07/31/google-analytics-helps-you-filter-spider-and-bot-traffi...

Hope that helps...

Steve

Please click the like button if my reply was helpful :)
Founder of PromoPrep - Marketing Calendar Software

Find our marketing calendar app in the Shopify App Store
0 Likes
Highlighted

It Maybe a Traffic Bot or Did you buy backlinks from somewhere. It happen to me when a buy a backlnks for SEO from someone.  It is mostly harmless but if you are ranking on some competitive keywords then it will harm you  Thanks

Webexpert
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I remember getting Analytics records from a Baidu link. Is that it?

0 Likes
Highlighted

What tool are you using to see the where traffic is coming from. If you can send screenshots of the reports, that would help get you more information. 

0 Likes
7 0 0

I just based the map I posted whenever I see site visitors on the Live View function. And when I see this "weird traffic", it's in the very same spot every time. For the past 2 weeks, I had a consistent 1 to 2 visits every from the same spot but like I said yesterday, I have 4 visitors from the very same spot at the same time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Here is the actual screenshot from Shopify Admin Live view.

China Traffic Live View.JPG

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello  yumiandmiguel-

This is not anything to worry about. A handful of visits from a location, even if it is consistently, is not going to harm your website. If you think the person you hired for SEO got you bad links (which is a different issue), then you can setup Google Search Console and look at the external link report to see if Google has found bad links to your site. This is a good article that explains about the link report.

Hope that helps. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
191 3 12

Hi there!

If you are worried about the wired traffic from China, and don't really want to sell your products to China, you could consider blocking traffic from China visiting your website. For example, redirect all visitors from China to another URL(like, exampleshop.com/not-available), displaying your website is not available. 

There are tool can help you identify visitors' countries and auto block visitors from certain regions.

For example, GeoBlocking. You can simply set up the tool within a few steps. Then, it will generate Javescript code for you to add to your website. Unwanted traffic will be blocked...

Hope it helps!

0 Likes