What are Best Practices for using MailChimp with Shopify?

Alexandra_Cosma
3 0 2

Hi everyone, 

I'm wondering if I can get some advice on how to set up MailChimp lists for my Shopifiy store. Here's my questions:

I understand that the "Mailchimp for Shopify" app will sync my customers (who have opted for marketing) with the MailChimp list I have created for the shop. I also know I should create only ONE list per shop. So far so good. 

However, for non-customers who have visited the site but leave their email address in the the newsletter form, should I create a separate Mailchimp list?

My idea would be to have a separate list in Mailchimp for people who have signed up for the newsletter via various forms. Is this something you would recommend?

For the future, when email is collected for a special promotion (eg. we're introducing a new collection and people can sign up to receive a gift), I imagine doing this by creating a new list for this event, and when the event has passed, moving the emails collected to the larger newsletter list. Would you recommend creating a new list when such a marketing event is taking place?

Thanks you!

Eager to learn, so I'm happy for any article/book/podcast/video recommendations on this topic. 

Best, 

Alexandra

Tal_Maayani
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Hi Alexandra,

Mailchimp has the concept of multiple segments per list.
This allows you to use one list for your shop, yet still send different campaigns to subscribers based on the segment they belong to (for example: subscribers who purchased a product vs. ones who didn't).

Once you use mailchimp for Shopify, you should get all purchase data in your list, and be able to segment according to this data. For more information about that, check mailchimp (excellent!) documentation: http://kb.mailchimp.com/segments/segment-a-list-by-purchase-activity

At Dynavi we're taking this to the next level, by combining marketing and video.

We're launching a new email marketing app soon, that lets you combine info from mailchimp and Shopify in a new way: by creating Personalized Video Emails

Basically, you will be able to send a newsletter to any of your mailchimp lists, and this email will include an automatically-generated personalized video message: promoting a product, an event, a collection or anything that you'd like.

Every subscriber on the list will get a unique video custom-made for her (for example: see here)

We're about to start the beta program for this servce. If you join, you would get forever-free usage of the app, and the ability to influence it's features.

Feel free to contact me at info@dynavi.com for more details.

Good luck!

Tal

0 Likes
Melissa_Redford
1 0 1

Definately explore segmenting and see if you can use that - one actual list per store. If a customer got super excited and signed up multiple ways, she'd end up on multiple lists, which could lead to duplicate emails, duplicate content, and annoyed unsubscribes.

As well, Mailchimp charges based on number of subscribers, tallied per lists: again, if a customer signed up for 3 different lists, he'd count as 3 people: if you use a single, segmented list, he's just one.

Moving people from one list to another can also be problematic on Mailchimp: because they need to retain subscriber data/clicks/reads (if you're tracking, and you should), you can't delete or merge a list within a week of a send. You could download the list and upload it to the master list, but you'd lose Mailchimp's data, which you do not want to do.

You can segment by sign up source easily, and you can always add more fields to your subscriber data if you need to segment more. You can also save your segments to reuse them quickly and import subscribers directly in to a specified segment.

Mailchimp has pretty robust and helpful documentation: I'd reccomend just using their help for anything.

Will_Young2
Tourist
8 1 4

Hi Alexandra, 

Melissa's spot on with regards to list management and the avoidance of duplicating email addresses across multiple lists. Mailchimp must make quite a bit of money on duplicate entries!  

There are different ways you can attack this challenge. I know someone who's been in a similar situation who has two shopify stores. But her situation may be different to yours. So I feel I have to ask some questions first before I can add any further advice to this thread.

• How many different stores do you have?
  • What makes them different (Currency? Customer type i.e. trade vs. consumer? Products sold?)
  • How many subscribers (non-buyers) vs. customer (buyers - for each store) do you have?
  • How aggressive are you likely to grow your list of subscribers (non-buyers) through different activity (competitions, events etc.)

If you aren't comfortable answering these questions here, then feel free to drop me an email (will@rais.io). In my head, what I'm trying to get to is the most efficient, simple process for you; just need some more pieces to the puzzle and we'll be able to figure it out. 

Thanks

Will 

0 Likes
Will_Young2
Tourist
8 1 4

Hi Alexandra

Melissa make some really great points about list management and avoiding duplication. MailChimp must make a lot of money out of that!

This isn't an uncommon challenge and one that you can attack in different ways. I actually know someone who was in a similar situation recently, who has two stores and has funnelled subscribers into each of those stores' lists. However you situation may be different so before giving any advice, I feel I have to ask a few questions to understand your situation a bit better:

• How many stores do you have?
  • How do they differ from each other (Different currencies? Trade vs. Consumer? Products sold?)
  • How many subscribers (people who haven't bought yet, but signed up to emails) vs. customers (buyers - across each store) do you have?
  • From one month to the next, how aggressively do you think you're going to grow your subscribers through the various subscriber acquisition activities you're going to carry out (events, competitions etc.)?

If you're not comfortable answering any of these here but want to email me then feel free to. I'm at will@rais.io. I'm just trying to get a sense of the lay of the land, so I can tell you what I'd do in your situation to follow an efficient, cost-effective process.  

Thanks

Will 

0 Likes
Will_Young3
11 0 0

Hi Alexandra

Melissa make some really great points about list management and avoiding duplication. MailChimp must make a lot of money out of that!

This isn't an uncommon challenge and one that you can attack in different ways. I actually know someone who was in a similar situation recently, who has two stores and has funnelled subscribers into each of those stores' lists. However you situation may be different so before giving any advice, I feel I have to ask a few questions to understand your situation a bit better:

• How many stores do you have?
  • How do they differ from each other (Different currencies? Trade vs. Consumer? Products sold?)
  • How many subscribers (people who haven't bought yet, but signed up to emails) vs. customers (buyers - across each store) do you have?
  • From one month to the next, how aggressively do you think you're going to grow your subscribers through the various subscriber acquisition activities you're going to carry out (events, competitions etc.)?

If you're not comfortable answering any of these here but want to email me then feel free to. I'm at will@rais.io. I'm just trying to get a sense of the lay of the land, so I can tell you what I'd do in your situation to follow an efficient, cost-effective process.  

Thanks

Will

Will Young, CEO and Co-founder of rais. rais works with busy online retailers (and their agencies) who want to grow revenue faster and easier by converting more customers across marketing channels. Our software is a mix of Marketing Automation, CRM and Business Intelligence saving our clients time while boosting profits. Email: will@rais.io
0 Likes
Jeremy_Robinso1
Pathfinder
108 0 40

Hi Alexandra,

I would suggest segmenting the different people who joined your list into "groups" based on the form that they used That way you can create segments on the fly as you decide what subscribers should receive a specific email. (BTW, the  distinction between groups and segments in Mailchimp can be a little confusing at first!)

You can set up MailChimp so that different forms automatically feed to different groups within a single list. You may want to look on an add-on service for forms like opt-in monster, which we use at SoYoung. 

I would also suggest setting up some automated sequences for new subscribers and then a separate one for anyone who purchases a product. I have more information and examples of the sequences we've set up here.

http://www.indiebrandbuilder.com/the-email-followup-sequence-that-drives-6-figures-in-sales/

I co-run www.soyoung.ca and document my experience in building a 7 figure brand at www.indiebrandbuilder.com
0 Likes