What incentives do you offer to influencers?

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi,

I run a new watch brand called Crowder http://CrowderGB.com. I have just launched my Shopify store after a successful Kickstarter campaign.

I am working on getting traffic to my website. One thing I found created a huge peak in my Kickstarter campaign was being featured on a high profile menswear blog. I am currently approaching more bloggers but I am not sure what kind of incentive to offer them to post about my brand. I am unsure how much payment is standard.

What incentives have you given bloggers to post about your product?

I have considered offering influencers a discount code and then giving them a share of each sale. Have you tried this method and what percentage of a sale have you offered?

I look forward to hearing your experiences!

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Hey James! 

Typically bloggers/influencers are offered free product which is sent to them in exchange for posts on blogs/social media. Depending on the size of an influencer's audience, it's not uncommon that some will also ask for payment for posts in addition to free product. Influencers who do require additional payment generally ask anywhere from $50-100 (~50k active followers/readers) to $500 (~200k active follwers/readers) per post, while some ask as much as $10,000 per post (think 1M+ Instagram followers/large blog readership). However, if you can find influencers with large active followings who believe in your brand/product/message, you'll probably be able to get away with sending free product alone (which is what we choose to do--we never pay additional money for posts). The key is in reaching out to influencers who would genuinely purchase your product for themselves without any incentive (like if they saw it in a boutique somewhere). Not only will those influencers do your brand justice in the content they create, but it means their readership will be equally as interested in your product, ultimately meaning more traffic and conversions.  

Offering influencers a share of each sale is a great idea, but at the same time a long-term commitment without the guarantee of profit for them. If they're paying for product, even at a discount, and don't make back or exceed what they spent, it's often not as attractive of an offer as simply sending product, cash, or a combination of the two up front for posts. That's not to say there isn't someone out there who won't agree to those terms though!

A great way to start building traffic (though not as immediate as an influencer post) is creating an ambassador program for your brand, either through your current customers or generating a new class of ambassadors through your current following. Sending customers an order-specific discount code, let's say 10% off, to share with friends in their order/shipping confirmation e-mail with the promise of a % or $ off coupon for the original customer if their friends redeem their specific code turns your customers (who already love your product) into motivated ambassadors for the brand. You can also generate an "ambassador class" through your current social media following and turn them into a mass of brand-specific influencers: ask your current following to apply to become an ambassador for your brand and once accepted into the program, offer them a good, standing discount (say 20% off all orders) for either a determined period of time or indefinitely. In turn, their job is to create content featuring your brand on social media/blogs or talk it up through word of mouth, or whatever other terms/requirements you come up with for them to abide by. Giving brand ambassadors specific discount codes to advertise to their own audience, much like the customer-specific code scenario mentioned above, is a good way to measure who is sending traffic your way.  

2 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Brigitte!

Wow, what an informative post, thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that! There's some really great points there and I'm going to start putting them into action straight away!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Glad you found it helpful! I hope it helps with traffic starting to pick up!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thanks for the advice on this.  I am in a FB group of Mommy bloggers that are followers of all things natural and paleo,which are the things I also believe in.  I haven't asked them yet, but would it be wrong of me to post in that group to ask for ambassadors for my private label brand of wellness products that I sell on my Shopify site?  I'm not sure how to nagivate this, and i don't want to come off 'salesy' nor be kicked out of the group!  I am ready to get my products out there after 2 years of just building a retail base in my Pilates studio.  

0 Likes