What is driving actual targeted traffic for you?

Highlighted
Tourist
52 0 1

I've had a few Shopify stores and I've been working in digital marketing for many years so I'm pretty familiar with the landscape and the options but this time, something is very different. In years gone by stores that I've run, as well as others would get a minimum traffic volume even if you did absolutely nothing. My latest store, which is admittedly in the ultra competitive young women's clothing vertical is getting no where, despite a very good amount of time, effort and money. 

A couple of things. 

1. It's a drop ship model so I can't do anything about the quality of the images. I know they aren't incredible but that has nothing to do with traffic. It does limit me in some other areas though. Before we get fixated on that, this is fast fashion, which means that things sell out quickly and don't come back so going all in on photography when I have literally a handful of units is pointless. 
  2. I can get into great detail about what I've done. Assume I tried everything and it all equally returned zero value. I can get into specifics if you want to know but here are the basics. Very limited test of paid advertising in Adwords, Facebook&Instagram and Pinterest. Used the big social media channels, almost zero traction or traffic. Instagram is talked about a lot as being the key to driving traffic. It did nothing for me. Did a lot with Reddit. Zero. Basically did everything that everyone seems to think is the key and got nothing. The one big one I have left out is SEO. It's a ton of time or money (paying someone else) and especially with Shopify, it doesn't seem to be worth it. 
  3. It's women's every day clothing - not fashion. Subtle but distinct difference there. My target is a woman between 18 and 30 who may not be interested in couture or runway shows. Trying to align myself with the fashionistas probably won't work. They are interested in big famous brands. It's also not a branded line so I can't work with a brand name. In fact I don't even reference the brand name anywhere on my site. I want the user's brand image to be mine, not the clothing line. It's not a well known brand so even if I wanted to change that, it wouldn't make a difference and it has nothing to do with low traffic. 

What I'm looking for from you are actual efforts that are currently driving targeted traffic to your consumer product Shopify store that leads to conversions. Things other than spend 5000 on Adwords and get 1000 in sales and then optimize up. I used to own an SEM firm. I know that space inside and out. I don't think it makes sense here. First you drive traffic and see some reason to make a larger investment. I'm aware of the vague, "do this, it will take 300 hours and get you 10 attributable visits" things. I know this is work and I am very committed as I was with my previous ventures but if that's the ratio in 2015, I'm going to focus on other things. I don't mind the work but spending hundreds of hours to get a few uiques just doesn't make sense. 

I know that this was long and I appreciate the time. I just cannot believe that despite all the effort this is what I'm able to get in terms of traffic. If I got a steady stream of traffic and no sales then I know where to look but I can't say that the pricing, the pics, the merchandising, the website design or the clothes are the problem until I see a consistent level of traffic so PLEASE stay on topic. Again, 100% aware that this is a very competitive space BUT I also know that I should be getting a hell of a lot more traffic and I don't think SEO is 100% or even 20% of the problem or answer. 

I understand if you don't want to give up your secrets but please just at least tell me what channel is working for you and I can figure it out from there. I just can't keep trying everything under the sun and going all in only to get almost nothing from it. 

Thanks so much and if you happen to want something from my store, please use CM on Cyber Monday to save 20%. After Cyber Monday, contact me and I'll give you a discount code. Thanks. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Have you considered Google Shopping?  I've found I've had a solid return from these (3-4 x expense) and since the terms being matched are those that fit with my product titles and descriptions,it's pretty well matched.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 0 4

Have you tried the Wanelo app? We have seen substantial sales from this channel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
29 0 2

Andres,

Very refreshing to have someone that actually understands this stuff. 

You have hit it all. I do know from our site that if you give google ads and bing adwords a little money each week you do rank higher in organic traffic. We don't spend 1000s only 2-3 hundread a month for our 6 good months and less than 100 the other months.It works. Normally 1500-2000 visitors with low bounce rate and about 10000-15000 page views per month. A normal Monday - Friday is 100 - 150 visitors a day. Conversion is about 10% regardless of the time of year. CTR oin bing is much higher for us than google. Bing has a 10-20% CTR depending on the ad displaying. Google has a 4-5% ctr regardless. It makes sense for our site since Bing has a much higher income base user than google. We sell to people that have the money to do what they want to do and we become part of it.

Our SEO is 100% on every imporatnt page. That did help some and didn't take all that long. Scoial media sucks and spending money advertisng on it sucks more. Who is going to leave their facebook page to click on an ad...

The only thing I noticed on the site is Thanksgiving dealines are listed. Photos look fine for your use.

I think all I have done is agree with you but at least you know your not alone. It took us 2 years to get where we are. 10 years ago it would have been 6 months at the outside. Too many people think they can sell anything with a site and retire large. Screws up the bell curve for those of us that know what the truth about the interent is all about.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
52 0 1

I just started setting it up last night but despite the app there were some technical issues. I should have it running today. I know it works well but takes a lot of set up time. I think this should at the very least drive targeted traffic. Thanks for the reply! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
52 0 1

I did but it didn't yield much - 1 sale. The site looks great, as does Fancy.com but both are quite buggy and offer little support. Fancy is particularly bad but both are great concepts. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but am glad you posted this because I am eager to learn as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Pinterest promoted pins retrun me around 4 to 1 revenue to expense

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Facebook can also work if you target your audience properly. Try 50% off plus free shipping offers. Use audience insights to find the right affinitys for your ads.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I am very eager as well to know more. I don't have an ad budget, so I've been just working on backlinking  to my site website www.kenwroy.com and lots and lots of online PR. I find that for fashion/trend/lifetsyle products, the quality traffic comes from relevant blogs and media. The conversion is not bad for starters. And it gives you an idea of where you should invest in media, when you have a budget. I find that google shopping works only for mass/commodity oriented products, which people are specifically looking for. I've tried few apps, none are worth mentioning and they take an enormous amount of time. The next stage I am looking at is affilitae marketing. 

Hope this helps! Will add more points as I am working on them.

Vasumathi, Chief Underwearist

Ken Wroy

0 Likes