What is sag_organic?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 2

Most of my store visitors are coming from "sag_organic". Can someone let me know what this is please?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

This discussion has the answer to your question. 

https://support.google.com/google-ads/thread/53688879?hl=en

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
61 2 12

To repeat what is in the posted link above:

This is an issue with Shopify's Google Shopping Channel: When the Shopify App uploads the product feed to Google Merchant Center, it appends the following UTM tags to the product url:

&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

You can confirm this by going to your Merchant Center > Products > All Products > and click on one of your products that was uploaded via the API. Look at the product url / link and you will see the utm tags in there.

To remove the UTM tags using Feed Rules:

1. Go to Merchant Center > Products > Feeds
  2. Click on "Content API" feed
  3. Click on Feed Rules tab
  4. Click + button and type "link" and select "link" to create a new rule for the link attribute
  5. Click cancel under Data Sources and then Modifications > Add Modifications
  6. Optimize URL > Remove Parameter
  7. Type utm_medium and click add
  8. Repeat for utm_source, utm_content, and utm_campaign
  9. Click OK and look in the right side column preview to see if the link has been properly updated.
  10. Click Save as Draft
  11. Click Apply
  12. Wait a while for your feed rules to take effect.

Hope that helps!

Alex

Digital Marketing @ Manitobah.ca | Pendleton.ca | Aigle.ca
Shopify Digital Marketing Blog: business.czarto.com
1 Like
Highlighted
10 0 1

The paid & organic report (available for Google Ads engine accounts only) shows the search terms that either triggered your ads to appear on Google, triggered Google to display unpaid (organic) search results for your site, or both. This information helps you understand how paid and organic search work together to reach people searching online.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
61 2 12

To add a big more to this topic:

After digging into it some more, I've come to these additional conclusions:

1. sag_organic stands for Surfaces Across Google organic traffic
  2. I think a better way to track this traffic would be to set
    utm_source=google
    utm_medium=organic
    utm_campaign=shopping
    This way your standard GA reports look the same (everything bundled into google/organic) but you can segment by Campaign to figure out how much of the traffic is from Organic Shopping Listings. Optionally, you can include the product.title in utm_content which would allow you to further segment on what specific products are sending you the organic traffic.
  3. missing canonical_link: A bigger issue with Shopify's implementation is that the canonical_link is not being set. Without this, Google could start including your UTM'd product urls in it's main search index, which will cause havoc on your Analytics data.

If you use tracking parameters in your link attributes, it is recommend that you use the canonical_link attribute to provide a canonical URL. Use the canonical_link attribute to ensure that products are associated with the correct URL in the Google Search index.
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188492?hl=en

I've added a walkthrough on how to change both the UTMs and to set the canonical_link tag using Merchant Center rules here:
Digital Marketing @ Manitobah.ca | Pendleton.ca | Aigle.ca
Shopify Digital Marketing Blog: business.czarto.com
1 Like