What is the best way to create a promotion for a specific product

Highlighted
Tourist
20 0 1

I'm a potter that makes anything from highfired mugs to high end cercamic sculptures.  I sell my work at artshows, wholesale and online.  I pretty much sell most everything that I can produce but I can only produce so much work.  I have zero buy/sell, so all of my products go from raw clay in my hands to a finished product.  I say this because I want anyone that is going to send me a marketing email for their services to know that I can only produce x amount of product so I can't exactly scale my inventory upward very much from what I'm already producing.  So, I'm not looking for a way to make my sales explode (I would implode from the work), but more for a way to create small quarterly specials for one limited amount of specific product.  Period.

I would like to begin quarterly promotions/campaigns/ads (not sure which, and that is one of my questions) to produce 100 extra specific mugs such as a sea turtle mug and promote it to sea turtle groups.   Problem is, I don't know how to do this.

I'm currently creating product for my first campaign (along with product for all of my other sales channels), and I'm beginning work on a 20-30 second marketing video for the product.

my store is www.bumblebeepottery.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
423 0 85

Hi, Helene!

My name is Jade, I am with the Social Care Team at Shopify.

You have such unique products! I really admire handcrafted work like yours. 

When I was reading your post I was thinking about another company that releases a limited edition product on a monthly basis called 4Ocean. They sell bracelets and other products but mostly bracelets. For each bracelet you purchase, a pound of trash gets taken out of the ocean. Each month, they have a special bracelet that they sell. A portion of the proceeds for that particular bracelet goes to a charitable cause. When you click Monthly Cause on their website, you can see that cause they're supporting that month and the bracelet you can purchase to help.

You can take their concept and do something similar on your website.  For example, if you create a sea turtle mug you can make it so that a portion of the sales go to a charity that helps sea turtles. 4Ocean actually did a sea turtle campaign I believe a few months ago and are still selling their remaining bracelets for that month here if you're looking for ideas. Since you're creating products by hand you can support a charitable cause each quarter or whatever schedule works best for you. This gives people extra incentive to purchase your mug since they're supporting a charitable cause that's close to their hearts. What works well for 4Ocean is that their promotion only goes for a month. There's a sense of urgency that works for them since you need to purchase the bracelet before the end of the month. After that, the product is literally removed from their website (except the sea turtle bracelet and a few other ones for some reason). It's up to you if you would like to implement the same strategy. 

I notice that 4Ocean heavily relies on Facebook ads (I know this because I get their ads) since they're a great way of advertising to a specific audience that you'd like to target. In your case, you can narrow down your marketing to people who are interested in sea turtles, like handmade items, are in the same age range as your existing customers and more.

I hope this helps you get started. Let us know what you did and how it works for you!

Sincerely,

Jade | Social Care

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
20 0 1

Thanks Jade.  That's kind of what I'm looking for.  So facebook ads is the best way to target groups of sea turtle enthusiasts ?

Again,  I'm a small business and have limited money for advertising.  I think I'll give this a trial run with a $2 a day ad.  If I see an increase in sales of the specific item then maybe up that on a future campaign for something like a whale or hippie bus.

Do you recommend the ad being a group of photos or should it be a video ?

0 Likes