Will same product description on different products affect seo?

beatrizb
2 0 0

I sell crystals and minerals that can vary in shape and size but many of them are made of the same type of stone. I've seen some stores use the same description on crystals that have the same properties, it's almost like an collapsible text box, I wonder if that's done through coding. Solving this issue would help a lot since I have more than 300 different items to list and that would reduce significantly my work, as long as it doesn't affect SEO.
Thanks

0 Likes

Hi @beatrizb

It depends, if you have the same product description for 2 or 3 product pages - then it's okay. However, if you have the same product description for over 10 product pages, then Google can count it as duplicate content and you can get a penalty for that. Google explicitly said that they prefer pages with distinguishable information: 

Screenshot - 2020-11-16T213916.729.png

Check out the detail guideline HERE

PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 90.000+ active merchants.
Survive 2021 with top secrets from e-commerce leaders

Hey, @ beatrizb

bracknelson
Excursionist
29 0 3

Thin and duplicate content will harm your SEO struggles and you'll get harshly penalized by search engines. Unique product description helps you better convert visitors.

0 Likes

Yes. You're creating duplicate content.

I recommend keeping the product description (size, weight, etc.), but adding unique storytelling on each product page to counteract that.

Not only is it better for SEO, but it leads to higher conversions because it makes your product more compelling to customers.

Example: on this product page on David's Teas for raspberry mojitos, the storytelling is: "Is there any way to improve on fresh mint and tangy lime? Just add raspberry! Our juicy Raspberry Mojito iced tea is about to become your new go-to drink. It’s a bright pink tisane that’s fruity, minty and utterly refreshing. Served over ice with a splash of rum, this caffeine-free infusion tastes like a summer afternoon on a sunny Havana patio. In short, pure heaven."

Here are some pointers for storytelling:

• A relatable protagonist/hero (your target customer
  • A world (the emotional motivators)
  • A call to adventure (goal or problem to solve)
  • The stakes/refusal of the call (nightmare scenario)
  • A helper (your brand)
  • A magical item (your offer)
  • Crossing the first threshold (CTA)
  • The belly of the whale (onboarding/lead nurturing)
  • Road of trials (split-testing)
  • The happily ever after (future pacing)
  • The return (testimonials & brand advocacy)

You can also embellish storytelling with social proof and additional unique content in the form of product video reviews, written reviews, and photos taken by customers.

CMO @ Reeview.app. Reeview automatically finds, collects and displays authentic, user-generated product video reviews for Shopify stores. Using A.I. to manage user-generated videos at scale and beautiful video widgets placed directly where purchase decisions are made, Reeview increases conversions, shopper engagement and customer lifetime value.
0 Likes
EllaBrown2021
Excursionist
32 0 2

I think you'd better keep the product description, this is very important.

0 Likes