Would Google class this as duplicate content? Help required.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi all, 

I launched my ecommerce site a couple of weeks ago www.justclickkitchens.com and I would like something clarified. We have the App Infinite Options as the products we sell have numerous options that have to be added to each product before it can be added to the basket. We have added product tags to each product which requires the different variant options, such as colour, hinge drilling and size. However I have noticed a slight problem, depending on the tag, the URL for the product also changes and I'm a little worried that Google will class this as duplicate content and I will be penalised for it by Google.  

Can anybody advise me further, I cannot really have the products listed without the tags due to the different variant options. Thank you in advance. 

Dan 

www.justclickkitchens.com ;

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
189 0 20

Hello Dan,

Keegan here from the Shopify Guru team.

The app infinite options I believe uses query strings (that ?variant=18669445052 bit near the end of your product url) that reflect the options chosen within the page. Shopify themes usually have canonical url code installed that will prevent duplicate content issues with search engines like Google.

I don't believe you will have any duplicate content issues, but you can confirm this directly by emailing the app developers at contact+io@theshoppad.com to get expected behaviour for search engines while using the app.

Thanks for your post!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Keegan, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I apprecaite your help on this. 

Dan 

1 Like