Yotpo (free) reviews do NOT help SEO? Alternatives that have SEO benefit?

Shopify Partner
15 0 5

I've seen a number of posts on here, Moz and other places asking "Google Penalizing Sites Using YOTPO" and "does Yotpo hurt my review" or "why doesn't my reviews show to google". I pulled up our site with the Moz tool bar (in Firefox) and looked at it as google bot (i.e. with javascript turned off) and the reviews do disappear. Yotpo is clear about this on their site - always appreciate the upfront information. They say on https://www.yotpo.com/pricing/ that In-line SEO is not available until you pick up the $499 per month plan. That's $5,988 per year. That's REALLY steep for a store starting out and even for a lot of mid-sized stores.

Overall, Yotpo is awesome. Plus, their support team is top notch. The follow up emails to consumers are nice and I can see the benefit in moving to premium as a site grows but for $6000 per year before you get any SEO benefit from the reviews seems like too high of a cost and something that may not let a store grow as fast as it could. Too bad they don't let a few reviews per product come through for the free accounts.

Would love to hear from some of the SEO experts out there about their thoughts on the trade off of no review text for SEO? Are their altertnatives for reviews that allow this for free or cheaper? Is it possible to export reviews and bring them in some other way, even if manually until it makes sense to upgrade to the Powerhouse account?

1 Like
2 0 0

Hi Kurt.

Just found your post. Totally agree on the Yopto pricing points. Looks like there was no reply to your question. Did you manage to find any good alternatives? I am also looking for something more affordable.

Many thank in advance.

Alex

Never stop trying.
0 Likes
2 0 0

Never heard of Yotpo, not actually sure what it is. For that price you can get a SMB SEO business plan with a company I used before in Toronto. You need to have a plan with SEO, 80% of Google is based on links not content. Content only serves to be a factor when you don't have links.

Shopify SEO company

0 Likes
2 0 0

Never heard of Yotpo, or why it's supposed to be 'inline SEO'. For my store I went with a SMB plan with these shopify seo experts. The main thing is links, not inline content or what MOZ tells you. You can spend a ton of money on pointless things imo.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
78 0 8

Hi Kurt and Alex,

I run the Judge.me Product Reviews app and we include Rich Snippets even in the free plan. We also load the reviews in HTML (using Shopify product metafields) for even better SEO.

Our import page takes the CSV exactly as exported by Yotpo, so it's a 1 minute process to switch over.

Our Awesome Plan is $15/month and that's the most you can pay us. The Awesome Plan includes unlimited review requests (free plan is max 50 per month), customization of our settings (which includes all email formats and each text field of our review widget and preview badge) as well as free concierge service in importing your reviews and installing the widgets in your theme.

How can we be so much cheaper? We spend zero on marketing, instead focusing all our energy on developing the best possible reviews app with a focus on just Shopify. This simplifies our business quite a lot and we pass the savings onto you :)

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 5

PJ, we just switched over from Yotpo to Judge.me. Wow, the import was really easy once I figured out how to export my reviews from Yotpo. 

The Judge.me setup was really easy and did take less than a minute to get our reviews imported. We're also trying out the Awesome Plan, as I wanted to adjust a few of the settings. I'd like to say thank you for letting me know about you guys. Yotpo never replied to this thread (after 4 months) and seems to only care about the really big shops that don't have to worry about paying $6,000 or more per year to them.

Love how you guys use HTML include for reviews and ease of use. 

Let us know if we can ever help you with anything. 

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
78 0 8

Hi Kurt,

Great to have you onboard! Thanks a lot for sharing your positive signup experience pubicly for other shops to see, and if you want to send review requests for orders fulfilled before the app install, let me know the order name range and I'll get to it asap. (You have received an email about this too.)

Hope you'll enjoy using Judge.me!

0 Likes
1 0 1

Found this post and it encouraged me to switch to Judge.me from yotpo.

Like Kurt mentioned, it's super easy to migrate and setup. I had the app installed and the reviews showing up on my product pages in < 5 minutes I think.

A few other things I noticed right away and am loving:

1. It loads quickly (noticeably faster than yotpo even in their "optimize for speed" mode),
  2. Looks great on mobile
  3. The Google Structured Data Testing Tool recognizes all my reviews so I can finally have rich snippet review info for SEO (yay!) 

Thanks PJ! 

1 Like
Excursionist
94 0 7

I'm wondering if this might be the way for me to go. I'm using Yotpo and have done for the last 4 years, I on their premium account and like the Q&A so would be feature I'd be interested in keeping. Does Judge.me offer this feature? I get a lot of repeat customers too because I offer a discount code, is this also something your app includes?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
78 0 8

Hi Rachel,

1) We don't offer Q&A yet.

2) You can add a coupon to the review request email body. We also have a few shops that put a coupon in the success message people see after sumbmitting a review in the widget (you can target just the verified buyers here if you want). Note that these coupons are just general text coupons, our system does not create individual coupons based on events yet.

0 Likes