changing jpg to png - Will this be bad for my SEO?

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

My shopify store sells digital goods - png images of cutout trees with transparent background.  

https://www.cutout-trees.com/collections/frontpage?page=2

I want to change the background of my Shopify store, but almost all the images are in jpg format. So, the way to do it will be changing them to PNG. 

Is this a bad idea... will it affect SEO ?.... I mean... will it be bad for Google image search?

Thanks in advance

João 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1208 60 359

The file format won't affect SEO whatsoever. What might affect are the file names [so make sure you add relevant titles to your images before uploading them to your website] and alt tags, so remember about adding these as well. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3392 252 611

Hi João, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Just to follow on from Rockpapercopy's response above, while the file type won't affect your SEO, but more so the quality of the image if anything. What would affect your SEO more so is the name of your images and their description.

The Shopify team has written a blog post with 10 tips for Image Optimization which you might find useful here as well as a helpful guide with more information on uploading images here

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions should you have any. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

hey joao oliveira,

Choose the image extension as.PNG while saving the image for your Shopify store. 

Replacing image is not a hard task. you can do it from the backend and replace all the images with the new one(.png).

Pay stubs Online| Create a Pay Stub | Free Printable Pay Stubs Online @ online-paystubs
0 Likes