google seo not able to fetch shopify store sitemap.xml

Tourist
32 0 1

Hello,

below is the sitemap.xml of my shopify store.

The sitemap is getting submitted but google seo says 'couldn't fetch'.

can you suggest if anything wrong in my xml file and if it's incompatible with google seo.

<!--
This is the parent sitemap linking to additional sitemaps for products, collections and pages as shown below. The sitemap can not be edited manually, but is kept up to date in real time.
-->
</sitemapindex>.

Thank you for your time.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
218 18 45

Hi, @user072319!

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

Submitting your sitemap to Google is a great way to boost your SEO. When submitting your sitemap, did you follow our instructions on how to do so here? This help doc also includes video instructions, making it really easy to follow along.

The sitemap.xml file is the only file that should be submitted to Google, and other search engines, as it is optimized to work best in conjunction with our platform. Typically, the "couldn't fetch" error message occurs when trying to submit a sitemap other than the sitemap.xml file. However, it does sound like you are trying to submit the correct sitemap, so we can take a look at a few troubleshooting steps here.

When submitting the sitemap, are you using the one associated with your primary domain? You can see which domain is your primary domain by heading to Online store > Domains. If you've purchased a custom domain, this would typically be your primary domain. If the sitemap you tried submitting isn't the one associated with your primary domain, you'll just want to try resubmitting with that domain. 

I also recommend checking to see if your property type in Google Search Console is set to "Domain", rather than just "URL prefix". You should be able to see this directly in Google Search Console, by clicking the dropdown arrow next to your URL, and then by clicking Add Property. Once there, you should see an option to select the domain property type.

If you're still receiving the "couldn't fetch" error message, are you able to reply with a screenshot? The screenshot should look something like this: 

29-07-efr5x-rskps

Once I have that, we can do some digging here and go through a few more troubleshooting steps with our Technical Support team. Let me know how that goes.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Tourist
32 0 1

@Julie 

Thank you for the support.
Just to clarify we are submitting through Google Search Console (GSC). We cannot use Domain in Add Property as we don't have access to DNS CNAME for domain verification. Hence we are using meta tag verification through URL Prefix property.
We checked the sitemap.xml provided by shopify in various xml validator sites like http://www.utilities-online.info/xsdvalidation/#.XUAeYehKiM8 and we got response as Not well formed: The reference to entity "to" must end with the ';' delimiter. 
In other words the sitemap.xml should be encoded. Example in above sitemap.xml, the below string

<loc>
https://test072919.myshopify.com/sitemap_products_1.xml?from=3958845538401&to=3958850715745
</loc>

should be

<loc>
https://test072919.myshopify.com/sitemap_products_1.xml?from=3958845538401&amp;to=3958850715745
</loc>

Attaching screenshot of google search console sitemap submit error.screenshot1.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
218 18 45

Thanks for the screenshot, @user072319.

Shopify's sitemap differs from many other website sitemaps, which can cause some confusion and is likely the reason for the message you received from the XML validator tool. While most smaller websites have all the sitemap content listed in a single file, this doesn't work so well with large amounts of content, so Shopify breaks it down into sections. In other words, while many sitemaps point to all of the content on a website, Shopify's parent sitemap.xml file will link to the individual sections. 

When submitting the sitemap to a search engine (Google, Bing, etc) you only need to submit the parent sitemap.xml URL. Search engines will see the parent, and the subsections it references and then will scan those without having to point out each individual section. It looks like you're submitting the correct file, however, so the issue may be that your domain isn't properly verified. 

Are you able to confirm that you have successfully verified your domain prior to submitting your sitemap? While you did mention you are using the meta tag method, have you completed all of the steps outlined by Google here? In this help doc, you'll notice a section for "meta tag method", which will be the one you will want to use. Please let me know if those steps have been completely followed and it is verified in Google Search Console. If we have been able to confirm that the domain has been properly verified and there is still an error message with the sitemap submission, I can have our Technical Team take a look here. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

0 Likes
Tourist
32 0 1
Julie, Thank you for your response.
I have followed all the steps mentioned in the link you provided for domain
verification. and also my domain is successfully verified and is listed in
verified domains sections in Goggle Search Console.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
218 18 45

Thanks for confirming.

I'm going to go ahead and loop my Technical Team in on this issue so they can take a deeper look. I'll be reaching out to you via the email listed in your profile so that we can continue the conversation there. Keep your eye out for an email from me shortly! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @user072319, did you end up solving this issue? I'm in the exact same situation, being unable to use the Domain method and having to use the URL prefix method of verification, but then seeing the "Sitemap could not be read" error in Google Search Console after I submit my Shopify store's sitemap. If so, I'm wondering what solution worked for you. Thanks!

Website conversion, business automation, and SEO and analytics consulting ---> thinkbeagle.com
0 Likes