multiple country domains for single site

1 0 0

I live in Germany and I am currently trying to create an online shop at Shopify for my business. I have some offline customers which are mostly located in Germany, but also in Switzerland and Austria.

I own all country code domains, for example (generic names):

• test.de --> Germany

• test.ch --> Switzerland

• test.at --> Austria

However, I also own test.com.

My question is now, what domain I should use? Is it better for SEO reasons to use all country-specific domains? This means that I will have 1-Website and depending on the country, I show a a different domain. For example my users in Switzerland will be redirected to the ".ch" domain. I this actually possible? I am not sure if Shopify allows me to configure this?

Or should I use .com - domain?

I did some research, however there seem to be different opinions on this topic.

0 Likes

I would use the .com and direct all the country domains to the .com. Most friends I know are use to buying on a .com site. It's easier to manage one site and one domain while you grow your business.

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with CRO & analytics: TakeSomeRisk.com
1 Like
Tourist
4 0 0

I agree with DuaneBrown. Use the .com domain, for now, to help manage the site growth and then look into using localisation domains for further outreach when you've established a good foundation. 

0 Likes