"Accepts email marketing" needed for review emails?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi guys,

The question in the header - do we need a customer to have "Accepts email marketing" setting on in order to (legally) send emails requesting for a review after a purchase? or is it obvious that after a business was conducted we, as a store, want to hear the opinion of the customer regarding the product and have the ability to address potential issues (in this case, "Accepts email marketing" is not required)?

I guess that to summarize, the questions is whether we should consider review email requests as a marketing effort or as a customer service effort?

Looking forward to hearing opinions!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 1 1

Hi @mapleheart ,

The rules depend on where your company is and what countries your customers are in. There are three different ones I've come across:

CAN-SPAM (US) - You just need to provide a user a way to opt-out and follow some other rules. 

CASL (Canada) - You can email customers via "implied consent" but must allow them to unsubscribe and remove email addresses after 2 years if they don't provide consent. 

GDPR (Europe) - Most stringent. Requires you to capture consent. 

Jason

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hey Jay,

Thanks for your reply! 

I'm actually familiar with the rules you've outlined - but these refer to receiving marketing emails. The topic I'm trying to raise here is whether or not "review request" emails are marketing emails, to begin with. Because if they are not, then all these rules don't apply at all.

What do you think?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 1 1

In my experience, it's typically considered a marketing email. Especially since the most effective ones usually have an offer attached to get someone to do a review. I have seen people add a call to action to a Shipping Confirmation email but that's a bit of a grey area and a stand alone thank you email with good copy, an offer and follow-ups tends to drive more reviews anyway. 

0 Likes