"Duplicated" Facebook ad with completely different results. Any idea?

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi, 

I've been running a few facebook ad campaigns over the last month and half since opening my site and have been getting 1-2 sales per day. Long story short, I tinkered with the ad settings and thought I was on track to optimizing a winning formula. My latest ad campaign was a conversion split test between 2 audience groups, which received good traffic and results. It ended so I just "duplicated" the exact same campaign with same spend and the results are completely different. I'm still getting clicks to my site (albeit roughly 20% less) but no conversions. Any idea what's going on here? 

A few ideas in my mind are: 

• Could this be ad fatigue since I'm using the same audience? My total audience size when targeted is about 600K and my ad did about 7K in impressions (so I feel like this wouldn't be the case)
  • Is facebook showing my ads to the same 7K people since their algorithm thinks they're most likely to convert? 
  • I'm even questioning if something happened to my site on the back end... 

My site is www.cncptsbrand.com 

Any help would be great - even best practices on duplicating campaigns. 

Thanks,

Jonathan 

CNCPTS Notebook - A premium weekly planner & notebook designed for business www.cncptsbrand.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Great question! Curious to see how others respond.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 3

Jonathan-

My first guess is you do not have a large enough sample size to know if your test is accurate. Without enough volume, you may have a 'winner' that will change as more click/impressions occur. 7K is a very low number of impressions for a true test. How many clicks did you receive? I am guessing under 150? If so, those numbers do not give you a large enough data size. 

To answer your question:

• Is facebook showing my ads to the same 7K people since their algorithm thinks they're most likely to convert? 

You can add frequency to your FB report which will tell you the number of unique users your ad reached. 

Hope this helps.

Steve 

https://promoprep.com

PromoPrep.com : Intuitive Promotion Planning Software
0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for your input. I got about 200 clicks in total so I'm guessing it may really just be too small of a sample size and was just lucky (or conversely, unlucky with the current campaign) that I had so many convert off 1 ad campaign. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

CNCPTS Notebook - A premium weekly planner & notebook designed for business www.cncptsbrand.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 3

Jonathan-

How many conversions did you get from the 200 clicks? If you were getting 1-2 per days, that is an impressive CVR. What is your conversions rate now vs when your first campaign? Did your bounce rate change from your first and second campaign?

Your notebook looks great by the way.

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@Steve, thanks! So of the 200 clicks, a total of 10 conversions but had multiple orders where the customer purchased more than one notebook. I only ran the campaign for about 6 days and set my lifetime budget to $62 as a test. 

The second campaign is still not performing too well so I'm not sure what the case is here. The second campaign has done 1700 in impression with 40 unique clicks and 0 purchases. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 3

Definitley a volume issue here. Most sites have a 1-2% conversion rate. So, you can expect to see 1-2 per 100 clicks. Campaigns that run on Facebook can see a wildly varied return on ad spend (ROAS). If you are targeting an audience where they do not know your brand/product it is not uncommon to see a ROAS at $1 or below (ROAS of $1 means for every dollar you spend, you make the dollar back). So, if you can get a ROAS above $1 you are doing well. I know this sounds low, but it is how it usually works when you are prospecting and targeting people who don't know your product. (BTW 1,700 impressions and 40 clicks is a 2.3% click through rate (CTR), whick is quite good, so your ads seems to be resonating). What is your relevancy score?

As brand awareness grows and you start getting repeat customers, your CVR should increase, which will boost your ROAS. 

I would keep at it since you saw success in your first campaign. Once you start building up enough visitors to your site, you can setup a retargeting campaign thru Facebook to serves ads to people who have visiited your site and have not purchased - trying to get them back to your site. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Steve

https://promoprep.com

0 Likes
6 0 0

My relevancy score has been at 10 for the last few ads I’ve ran so I’m pleased with that result. I guess I need to make sure my site is optimized for conversions once someone lands on the page (eg offer is compelling enough to convert), before really scaling and “pouring gasoline” on it. 

Thanks again for your feedback, Steve. Definitely difficult to tell if you’re just having a bad string of days or unsuccessful campaign when just starting out! 

0 Likes