site speed

4 0 0

Hey, 

I am setting up a new and first site with shopify. We use a paid theme. The site is in a different country so I can use it there.. 

Using different speed check tools I get extreemly different results - Sime are craxy high like 30 seconds. 

Shopify support checked and say everythbing is ok. They also used this tool that looks allright and giver decent results - https://geopeeker.com/

So do you have any issues with shopify site speed - desktop and mobile? 

What tools do you use to check and find reliable? 

Thanks! 

-Tal
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 0 14

With shopify, because of your on a hosted option, meaning you have no control over anything, there's not really much you can do to improve site speed as you can't access certain areas. 

One of the biggest issues with site speed is images, but Shopify hosts them on a CDN so they usually are ok anyway. Still make sure that your images are optimised for before uploading. 

If you are running lots of plugins, that will slow down your site. But really there isn't much you can influence using Shopify. 

Only tools I use are google page test and google mobile tests as they are really all that matters from an SEO point of view. 

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

https://testmysite.withgoogle.com/intl/en-gb

I'm sure some web developers on here will know more in-depth things about Shopifys backend system.

Alasdair

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you Alasdair for your answer! So if you say there is nothing I can do - this is a more serious matter then I thought. I ran the 2 tools you gave and got really bad results. With advice how to fix it but if the programer cannot touch the code it doesnt help me. So my only option might be to leave Shopify?? This is so strange in my eyes :(

-Tal
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
103 0 14

why is site speed such an issue for you? 

Yes it CAN be important for SEO, however, it's only part of it, I have a slow site, I'm on WordPress but I hold numerous top 5, 3 and number 1 rankings. 

If's it's purely for a customer experience, then it can be an issue, but then EVERYBODY on Shopify would have the same issue, and that's not the case. 

So why is site speed a major issue for you? 

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
4 0 0

It is not relly the seo. As a website user I always leave slow sites. Especially whan they try to sell something and it takes forever to load. So I read about this and it turnes out a lot of people do the same. So a potential lose if about 20% of the leads is a major issue. 

-Tal
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 0 14

Yeah that's fair,

It's tricky these days with everyone so impatient about getting what they want because we've become so accustomed to everything being super fast.  

Not much more you can offer. 

Go ask people about it and find out if it's really an issue. Some sites I don't mind waiting because it's a product I want, or information I want to find out about. 

0 Likes
4 0 0

:)

-Tal
0 Likes