Adding TXT record for Search Console

Rifind
1 0 0

Hey,

It doesnt seem that im able to add TXT record to my site. i cant see the DNS settings anymore?

i want to add TXT record to verify Search Console.

Thanks

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hello, @Rifind.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you’re looking for the DNS settings, so you can add a TXT record to your website and verify your website with Google Search Console. If your domain was purchased on Shopify, we have a guide to help you find and edit the DNS settings for the domain. That said, if you aren’t able to see the button to manage your domain on Shopify, then you may have purchased the domain from a third-party domain provider. 

If your domain is purchased from a third-party provider, such as GoDaddy or Cloudflare, then you can find the DNS settings on their dashboard. If you’re having trouble finding the DNS settings there, you can always reach out to your domain provider and they can add the TXT record for you. Adding the TXT record is similar to connecting an existing domain to Shopify, where you needed to add Shopify’s A record and a CNAME record in order to connect the domain to Shopify. 

Let me know if this helps point you in the right direction. If you have any other questions on domains, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
PBOutfitters
Excursionist
14 0 3

When adding a TXT record for Google Site verification, what do you put in the NAME field when adding the TXT record?

Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @PBOutfitters.

That’s a great question and thanks for joining this thread! You can actually name the TXT record anything you want when verifying your domain with a TXT record as long as the value is correct. That way, if you have multiple websites verified on Google Search Console, the name helps you identify where each TXT record belongs to. I’d recommend naming your TXT record after your store name or the platform (eg. Shopify). 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

0 Likes
Suren
1 0 0

After adding TXT record in shopify website will take time to verify in google search console. My website is debutify theme its not appearing on google search results but if type my website name(example.com)it directly opens the website without appearing in google search result.

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @Suren.

Welcome and thank you for joining the thread! After adding the TXT record to your DNS settings on Shopify or on your domain provider, you can verify the site on Google Search Console right away. However, you may need to remove the password page for this to take effect. Typically, though it's likely not related to your theme, it does take some time to climb up in the rankings of Google search results. Nonetheless, typing your store name on Google will help narrow down the search results.

Most browsers will store your search history and try to autofill an URL, so you may be taken directly to your website. In order to avoid this, you can remove the suffix in your URL (eg. instead of 'website.com', type 'website'). Alternatively, rather than using the browser's search bar, you can also go directly to Google first and use their search bar. That way, you can search your store name without your browser automatically filling the URL.

I hope this helps. If I've misunderstood your question or if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

0 Likes
midiatulio
1 0 0

I cannot add the TXT record because my domain was aquired in Godaddy. And I cannot add it in Godaddy because the DNS admin properties are not accessible since it is sort of "delegated" to Shopify. I didn't manage to make this work.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
870 87 136

Hi, @midiatulio

Helen here from Shopify. I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this!

I recommend reaching out to GoDaddy directly to have them assist with it. Additionally, there is an article in their Help Center here with the steps on how to add a TXT record to a GoDaddy domain.

Hope this helps!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 

0 Likes