Any Feedback greatly appreciated for The Wine List.

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

We launched The Wine List during level 4 lockdown in New Zealand. Our thesis was that people would need to buy wine online as the supermarkets would not offer wine of this quality and they were struggling to supply anyway.

www.thewinelist.co.nz

We had some initial sales through friends and family, but our SEM conversion was not where we needed it to be.

We would love some feedback as to why our site is not performing as we had hoped. Please don't hold back as we are really keen to understand all the reasons and the what we will need to do, to change the dynamics.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Beautiful site and the brand & design are strong. If you are not seeing sales through SEM then you have a traffic problem, not a site problem. What I mean is your are sending the wrong type of traffic to your site and that is why it's not converting. Not all traffic is created equal for each brand. You need the right traffic or it will never convert, no matter how amazing your site is. I'll leave another post with what I think about when it comes to marketing for an ecom brands when we work with clients.

Homepage Feedback

1. I would clean up the design of your homepage as it has to many featured wine section. If you are going to have a Featured Product type section then think of it as a magazine ad. Have written copy that tells people about the wine and why they should buy it. Tell them what makes it special. I would remove two of your featured wine sections.

2. I don't see an About Us page... I would add this to the site and give it some personality. People buy from other people

3. I would say what your return policy is on your site. Having a few lines and telling people to email you to find out is not ideal.

4. Your collection pages are very busy. You are telling me how much I save, how many bottles are left and what it is priced somewhere else. That is a lot of information on the page and may take away from someone wanting to go to a product description page (PDP). I would remove this and keep it simple. If you are correct and people can not get this wine in other places... why do I care what someone else would charge me? Either I'm going to buy it or I'm not. Don't make people think by telling me what it would cost somewhere else

5. Can you offer curb side pickup or take out? This is a new feature that Shopify released for free and we see a lot of places offer this in Canada. Helps spur local demand and builds your local brand. I went through part of the checkout but did not see this option (unless I missed it)

Product Page  Feedback

1. Like I said above on the collection page, to much information going on, on your product page too. Don't make the area around your Add To Cart button cluttered. This layout needs to be tweaked a bit. If I made it this far, I want to buy if shipping is reasonable.... does not have to be free but it should not feel like I'm paying more for shipping then the wine itself

2. Add a section for customer reviews when you get them. This helps build social proof and makes it easier for people to trust your brand. Ask past customers for reviews is a great way to get this started (even if it's friends and family who bought)

3. Add a longer product description as this is how you convince someone to buy on your site. Plus it helps with SEO and ranking in organic search. A few wines I looked at had 2 lines of text for a product description....that is pretty short for something as colourful as wine

4. I would try to add more product images if you can. Having just one image is limiting. We tell clients that 3 - 5 images is the sweet spot for most brands. I would look at what competitors big and small do for their wine product description pages and photos. Photos helps people decide if they want to buy

Your store just needs some tweaks to take it up a level. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
1 Like
Highlighted

Like I said about about SEM traffic coming to your site. Even with a good CTR or tons of traffic, if people are not buying then it's not the right traffic. Not all traffic is created equal. The one thing we tell each client is that you can get traffic of all kinds but that does not mean it's the right traffic for your store.

When our clients are looking to do paid ads (SEM) on Google or Facebook. We recommend they start off on Google Shopping as you can target people based on what they are searching for. This means it's easier to get sales faster. You will need a Google Merchant Center and a Google Ads Account to run Google Shopping campaigns. After Google Shopping is working, we look at Facebook and setup a Dynamic Product Ads campaign on Facebook. 

Google Merchant Center
This is where you host and manage your products (SKUs), so you can use Google Shopping campaigns in your Google Ads (AdWords) account. You can add the Google Shopping app to your store and connect it to your Google Merchant Center... once you do this, you are almost set to run Google Shopping campaigns.

Google Ads (AdWords) Account
This is where you run and manage your Google Shopping campaigns from. You will need to connect your Google Ads account to your Google Merchant Center account above. Once you do that, you can run Google Shopping campaigns. Make sure you turn on Auto-Tagging in your account. Also, you can link your Google Ads account with your Google Analytics account... this helps make sure data is shared between them. Hopefully you have setup your Google Analytics account already. Make sure your bids are not to high and you have a good account structure.

Facebook Ad Account
If you have not, you should Setup your Facebook Catalog. That way you can run Dynamic Product Ads (DPA), which is remarketing/retargeting on Facebook and Instagram. When someone comes to your site and does not buy... you can show them an ad later on Facebook and Instagram. The DPA campaigns are always the best return on ad spend for our clients. It's good to start with site visitors or people who have added something to their cart/started checkout but have not bought anything.

Once you have that setup. You can see what is working and what is not working and grow the business. The above assumes you have setup your Facebook pixel setup for your site too. That way you can track your sales. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

P.S. If you want to work with a professional to run your SEM, would love to chat. I visited NZ a few years ago and feel in love. You can contact me at my agency site: Take Some Risk Inc.,...good luck with the business.

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Duana,

Thanks for the feedback. We have started with SEM but our data suggested that our conversions are well below where we need them to be, so it clearly an issue the site. we will be implementing your suggestions but need to get the conversion % up above 2% first.

0 Likes
Highlighted

You are welcome on the feedback. One thing to note, your site could be the issue but that may not be the case. We see a lot of Shopify sites that don't convert when they send traffic to it. If you send the wrong type of traffic to your site, it's not going to convert no matter how nice of site you have. Unless you have a professional running your SEM campaigns, you can easily be sending traffic that will never convert, no matter what changes you make.

Just looking at your converting rate is not enough to determine your site is the issue. Are you adding negative keywords to your campaigns? Are you using smart bidding when you should be on manual? Are your bids to high that make you overpay for each click, thus spending your daily budget before you can get enough traffic in a day to convert.

All these issues could be cause your low conversion rate and have nothing to do with your site. We have taken over ad accounts for clients and restructured them in a way that let the right traffic come to the site and convert. I would have someone audit you SEM campaigns before you rule out that being your issue. Thank you.

--

Duane

0 Likes