Any feedback on our store, please!

2 0 0

Hi everyone,

my girlfriend and I recently opened a small store selling handcrafted dog bandanas and dog bow ties - you can find us at poochbandana.com

I'm an experienced Digital Marketer (it's my job), yet I struggle to hit a good CR with the store. I understand it takes a few months for the entire machinery to 'kick in', but considering the much-higher-than-expected Google CPCs, I find it really hard to run the store profitably. I'm running campaigns through a number of channels, and my CR has already improved from 1.5% in July to 2.5% in August - however, my target is to be over 3%, at least. An ideal CR would be a very ambitious 3.5%.

Hence, any feedback on what is causing conversion friction? I find the customer journey is quite clearly structured, but I'm happy to run A/B tests at any time. I'm doing everything I can to hit good CPAs as well, but it's hard with the ridiculously high Google CPCs. I just wonder what else I can do to get more first-time buyers, and not have to invest so much extra in remarketing efforts.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
33 0 4

Hi Jeremy!

Off the top, I need to acknowledge that you had me at Pooch Bandana. Honestly, is there anything cuter than dressing up dogs? I cannot think of a single thing. Okay, now that that is out of the way ;) You’re already obtaining a pretty healthy CR, considering you only recently opened! If you’ll indulge me, I’d like to do a full site feedback with growth opportunities.

The Pros:
There are a lot, but I’ll list my favourite things.

• Product Shots are on point.

• Replying to the reviews - shows real people are behind this site!

• The size guide is amazing and easy to find.

• Instagram! Great follower count and consistency.

• Nice consistent product pages.

The Opportunities for Growth:

• Two pop ups. Be careful of annoying your customer upon arrival.

• FAQ page: While amazingly helpful, it’s not easy to read. I’d suggest building out accordion tabs like this:

Here is a popular tutorial on how to build it with code. Or if you’re not familiar with coding, there are a couple of apps that could be used instead:

FAQ & Accordions FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQ )
FAQ - Developed by POWr.io

• Facebook likes: I would suggest trying to build your following here. Some tactics for that: (I know you’re a digital marketer, so please ignore if you don’t need it.)

• Run a contest or giveaway with requirements to like the page, post and tag a friend.

• Start engaging in Facebook groups for dog lovers, specific breed groups, etc.

• Send the posts featuring dogs to the owners. I’m surprised that you don’t have shares on those!

• Tag products in your Instagram posts: Since your Instagram has a pretty healthy following, I think this is one of your biggest growth opportunities!

• I’d love to see this amazing logo used on social somewhere on your site other than the favicon.

There are quite a few blog posts about Conversion Rate Optimization, but I’ll share a couple of my favourites!

• The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Sell Like an FBI Hostage Negotiator

• An approaching deadline adds urgency to the negotiation process.
      Create some “Available for a limited time” or “Limited Run”

• Trigger the two words that immediately transform any negotiation
      The two most powerful words in any negotiation are “that’s right.” If you can get your counterpart to use those two words, you’ve transformed the conversation.

• 4 Checkout Conversion Killers That Drive Your Buyers Away

• Shipping Costs
      There are many great alternatives to price-slashing, and free shipping is certainly one of them. Especially considering that consumers hate paying for delivery of their orders.

A great tool to be aware of are your Shopify Analytics - keep an eye on your popular landing pages, top referrers, and top online store searches to understand what keywords your customers are looking for. I hope this feedback helps, Jeremy. It looks like you’re well on your way to success!
Stay consistent and awesome!

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi Parker,

thank you so much for your help! What an awesome answer. I will go through your reply bit by bit, and add a few things:

The Pros:
There are a lot, but I’ll list my favourite things.

• Product Shots are on point.

Thank you! We are trying our best to provide good images and send out samples to models.

• Replying to the reviews - shows real people are behind this site!

That was our thought behind it. Also, studies indicate that replying to reviews leads to higher CRs.

• The size guide is amazing and easy to find.

Thanks!

• Instagram! Great follower count and consistency.

I'm very proud of my girlfriend in this regard. It took some work to get it off the ground, but we are adding a good 20-30 followers a day now, totally organically!

• Nice consistent product pages.

Thank you. We were trying to be consistent from the start. However, I am trying to 'personalise' the product descriptions from now on, so they describe e.g. the patterns more in depth and highlight the product's advantages.

The Opportunities for Growth:

• Two pop ups. Be careful of annoying your customer upon arrival.

This is a good point. Unfortunately, I'm bound by GDPR regarding the little cookie consent popup. However, I'm getting hardly any emails through the email popup, so I got rid of that now. I have a fantastic tool that captures emails upon exit intent. Works a treat! Thanks for the feedback!

• FAQ page: While amazingly helpful, it’s not easy to read. I’d suggest building out accordion tabs like this:

That is a great tip and I will implement it asap!

• Facebook likes: I would suggest trying to build your following here. Some tactics for that: (I know you’re a digital marketer, so please ignore if you don’t need it.)

• Run a contest or giveaway with requirements to like the page, post and tag a friend.

• Start engaging in Facebook groups for dog lovers, specific breed groups, etc.

• Send the posts featuring dogs to the owners. I’m surprised that you don’t have shares on those!

We will do a contest straight away next week and increase activity on Facebook. It's frankly our fault because we have focussed on Instagram a lot so far.

Not possible. The Instagram Sales Channel is faulty in the UK. I have contacted both Shopify and Instagram about this, and if you look up the sales channel reviews, I think it has one or two out of five stars as many experience this problem. Shopify came back to me and said it's up to Instagram. And Instagram never got back to me. So I'll have to wait until the next update, so that we may become eligible for this. See the screenshot attached.

• I’d love to see this amazing logo used on social somewhere on your site other than the favicon.

Where would you add the logo? We love our logo as well and wanted to show it off more often, but I can't really spot a good opportunity! :-/

And many thanks for your CR tips! Will consult them straight away.

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
168 0 13

Hello Jeremy, 

Just had a look on your site and I must say you have build a wonderful site. So many cute pictures :) I have just two suggestions- 1. I would love to know more about these dresses and there may be many of people like me, so writing some blogs may help. 2. Also put your e-mail address and phone number on you contact us page that would help you to create credibility on customer's mind. 

Thanks- Kaoser 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
318 1 21

Hello,

very nice store and you have got very good suggesstions above. I just want to give one advice .

Add your contct details phone no, email and physical address etc in home page which is useful to build the customer trust.

All the best.

Thanks,

MyReviewfy.

https://apps.shopify.com/myreviewfy
0 Likes