Any suggestions for a good camera (and lens) for shooting clothes on a mannequin?

storefront
Excursionist
18 0 13

We have lovely natural light at our studio but the photos we take of clothes on a mannequin don't come up as sharp as we'd like. Any suggestions on cameras or lenses for that type of photography? Any help greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
gchaney
Excursionist
34 2 4

We use a cannon powershot sx710 hs with good success. The most important thing is lighting and your lightroom setup. Having the right software for image clean-up is important as well. Most serious peeps use photoshop - which is expensive or gimp which is a powerful open source product.

Shopify did an article on this here: https://www.shopify.com/blog/194970057-remove-background-product-photography-image

Cheers

0 Likes
storefront
Excursionist
18 0 13

gchaney, Thank you so much for your reply. I will look into that specific camera, it appears that it is a point and shoot. I'm currently dealing with a Nikon D3500 with a 35mm f 1/4 fixed lens but it is still tricky to get those super sharp photos one sees on top websites. Thank you nonetheless!

0 Likes
VictorNorth9
3 0 0

The canon powershot sx710 was a really good camera when it first hit the market. Now there are many different models who take pictures just as well. Nikon D3500 appeared recently and it is a really cool camera for its price. About the lens .. Hmm, you need a special lens in that case. When I was choosing a lens for myself, my main goal was landscape photography, so it won't suit you. You can read the articles at lensespro.org. It was thanks to them that I chose my objective and I am very pleased with it. I am sure you will find what you are looking for there. By the way, what's your budget? If it is limited, then it is still better to take a canon as it will cost less. Good luck!

0 Likes
storefront
Excursionist
18 0 13

VictorNorth9, thank you so much for your suggestion, the site you sent along is very informative indeed. 

VictorNorth9
3 0 0

I'm glad I was able to help you! Good Luck!

0 Likes
Osborne
4 0 0

Thank you very much for the recommendations, I have been looking for a good camera for a very long time. And I am especially interested in mirrorless cameras, I read a lot, heard a lot about it. I also tried to find information about mirrorless cameras under 1000 review, what do you think about it? Perhaps some of you use this? Thanks!

0 Likes