Brand new to e-commerce, looking for feedback on the new site.

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0
oki-handcrafted.myshopify.com
We've been hand making wax melts and selling them locally to friends and family and decided to venture into online sales. I've been learning how to customize the site. I see a lot of people adding to carts but never completed checkouts. Any tips or suggestions on the layout/ product description or pics would be helpful. Thanks all!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1952 122 431

Hey Oki Handcrafted,

"Almost two-thirds of shoppers leave items in their cart without making a purchase leading to a huge loss of potential sales". The main reason behind this is uneasy site navigation and wrong-site layout. The ultimate solution is "Site Optimization".Take care of a few points mentioned below for the same:

• "Search bar" on the extreme footer left looks odd. Shift it above "All the products" in the footer for a better look.
  • "Terms of service" is missing from the homepage.
  • "Trust badges" enhance site authenticity.
  • "Favicons" enhance the user experience, hence, they must be added for better site navigation.
  • You can also install one of the most popular app Growwave which is all in one marketing platform that helps store owners increase conversions with ease.
  • Filters are very important for customers in order to identify the correct product from the huge catalog. So, you should look for advanced filter options for your store.
  • Finally, I would also recommend you to try Sparq product filters and search to replace the default search on your store, this app allows advanced custom tag product filters for collection pages, synonyms, spelling correction, and other such features. Visitors with the search are high intent users and their conversion rate is higher than normal users.
    Check out the features live here

All the best!

Neha :)

Sparq is a fast and beautiful search solution for Shopify store owners. It allows store owners to upgrade their default search to an extremely fast, more user friendly and feature rich search
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @OkiHandcrafted 

ive visited your store and found really amazing product there . i think you have a good collection of product and unique ones , i just feel that you need to change the visual look of the website and also thats what attracts most of the customers to stay on the page and also a good visual website would give the look nd feel of trusting the store to make a purchase , the design i feel should change to something more attractive and also product labels help in sales for products , ill leave a link below for an app that can help you with this 

stay safe 

take care 

zabu 

https://bit.ly/2zKfeF5

Increasing Sales one Sticker at a time
https://apps.shopify.com/modemagic
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0
Thank you. I will dive deeper into this
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1461 88 191

Dear OkiHandcrafted,

Congratulation for your store.

Hope following suggestion will help you.

• Mobile Speed Need to Improve, Currently 14-20  .
  • Your logo should highlight your brand name. Add a favourite icon so users can locate your webpage easily.
  • Have a sticky header and a clear search bar to help users locate the products they're looking for. Example of Good Header 
  • Optimize your footer with social links, newsletter sign up, policy documents and payment gateway icons.
  • Customize the search icon with a toggle effect so the search form slides out when user clicks on the icon. Makes your site look neat.
  • Over All Text , Font , Paragraph , Alignment , Spacing , Padding etc to make it more elegant - Make your store well-organized, neat and visually appealing and add to the user experience.
  • All the policies , Faq, Payment icon , Highlight return policy , customer support , testimonial etc - All these features are important to build trust for your brand among your users.Please add all.
  • Highlight your USP - What's unique about you and your brand that none of the other Shopify merchants have? This needs to be highlighted in your store presentation, features & more.
  • Add all the top featured products on the homepage so users know the type of products you're selling on your store.
  • Engage your customers by letting them know the bestseller products on your store.
  • Clear product title and description , high quality images , reviews , related products , color swatch function, grey effect for sold out products , product labels , product quick view - All these features make your store much more convenient, authentic, easy to use and user-friendly.
  • Banner adding on Collection page - Make your collection page stand out with interesting & creative collection banners. Example of Good Collection Page
  • Use Product filter for easy navigation.Example of Ideal Product Page
  • About you and your business - Highlight what makes you different and personalize your offerings when you write about your brand in a custom About Us section.Example of Nice Home page
  • discount code , Gift wrapping , additional cart notes , delivery date picker, i agree with terms and conditions, trust badges, etc. - Personalize your customer's shopping experience with these features on your cart page.
  • Use track order feature.
  • Need to improve Overall Design.
  • Use Google Shopping ads and FB Ads
Best Regards
MS Web Designer
Contact: https://www.task4store.com/pages/contact-us or task4store@mswebdesigner.com
20000+ Task Completed
1000+ Satisfied Client
9.9*/10 Customer Rating
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 39 51

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @OkiHandcrafted!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! Welcome to the Shopify Community, and congratulations on your store launch. I've reviewed your site and would be happy to offer my recommendations to improve your store's user experience and start making sales.

Store Design

Upon first arriving to your store, I see that your Home Page's banner is quite lengthy. To see the bottom of the banner, I need to scroll down. If you're using one of the Shopify-developed free themes below, you'll be able to locate the ideal slideshow size in the appropriate guide:

Boundless | Minimal | Supply | Debut | Simple | Venture | Brooklyn | Narrative

I see you've offered your 'About' on your Home Page. It's not a bad idea to have a brief description or explanation on the Home Page regarding your business; however, it may be better suited to create a separate page for this content. Your 'About Us' page should include who you are, why you are (the problem that your target market is facing), what you sell (the solution to their problem), and what your mission is. It looks like you're on the right track there - I just recommend reading through our How to Write an About Us Page guide to see what else you can add to it! 

Without reading the 'About' on your Home Page, it's hard to understand at first glance what you're selling. Having a mission statement or even a short descriptor along the lines of "Handcrafted wax melts, made ready for your home" can go a long way. For example, Shopify's mission statement is to "Make commerce better for everyone". Off the bat, it's easy to understand that our business aims to assist and ease the process of starting and running a business for all entrepreneurs.

Once you've done that, you'll want to adjust your Navigation to include the About Us page in the Main menu. It's also a good idea to include the word 'Contact' in your Main menu's FAQ menu item, to make it more accessible for our visitors to get in touch. Similarly, rather than having the 'Browse by type' menu item in your main menu, it may be easier for a visitor to understand if it were labeled 'SHOP'. You can then adjust the names your Collections in the Navigation drop-down menu underneath to include 'wax melts' (ex. Fruity wax melts) so visitors don't get confused when they click 'Food and Drink' and don't see food or drinks for sale. It also looks like your Collection pages don't display the title at the top of the page, which can make navigating between different collections difficult. You may want to adjust these Titles in your Products > Collections pages to improve accessibility. The Home Page is also a great place to feature your new products, so you may consider adding these products as a Featured collection or Featured products within your Theme's Editor.

I was able to locate your store's Privacy Policy in your Main menu, but I wasn't able to find any other store policies anywhere on your store. If you haven't already added these other policies, you can generate and add store policies to your store in your Admin by going to Settings > Legal and click the Create from template buttons. If you decide to use our Shopify-generated store policies, be sure to read through them and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the policy is applicable to your store and products. As a consumer, I personally expect to see a store's Main menu include "Shop" (with a drop-down displaying collections), "Contact", and "About" menu items. "Contact", "About", and Store policies (ex. Refund policy, Privacy policy. Terms of Service, Shipping policy, Legal notice) are often found in the Footer menu.

For more tips on Home Page Store Design, I recommend reading this guide and checking out the free Store Design courses that we offer in our Shopify Compass. If you're interested in making your store more accessible, our Accessibility for themes guide is a great place to start.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marketing and conversions

After making any necessary adjustments to your theme, you'll want to start focusing on your marketing plan and Analytics. Your marketing plan should be centered around your ideal target market. If you're not sure who your target market might be, creating a Buyer Persona is a great way to really zone in on the specifics of the characteristics that are likely to be repeat customers. The quantity of your customers doesn't matter as much as the quality of them - the goal of a business should be to retain existing customers, as this is where most businesses will see most of their revenue.

Now that you have an idea of who your ideal target market is, you'll want to start marketing towards them until you see at least 1000 online store sessions in the last 30 days. Once you've reached that goal, you can start reviewing your conversion rate for that time period. We generally like to see our merchants' conversion rates between 2-4% in the last 30 days. If you're not seeing that range once you've reached the 1000 store session (or higher) mark, I recommend checking your bounce rate. This can be done by going to your sessions by referrer report, clicking the Edit columns drop-down in the top right corner and selecting Bounce rate. If your bounce rate is between the 70-80% range, this is usually an indication that your marketing hasn't been targeted towards your ideal target market. You'll want to adjust your marketing to the appropriate target market and optimize your store's conversion rate.

Have you already developed a marketing plan? What have you been doing for marketing so far?

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Hi!
Congratulation on your shop! I love how site looks simple and straight forward.
Here's a few suggestion which might help you:
-Optimize the page, it took me a while before I can completely see the full website which was initially showing lots of brownbars.
-The main wallpaper is a bit too big, you can resize it and maybe adjust the quality of the picture to a lower one, which also helps the page load faster.
-You can also try adding additional small pictures which can showcase your product.
I hope this helps you!
Regards,
Jasper
Download our Notifications app for FREE to help store owners through Covid-19 - Notifications By Mokool
1 Like
Highlighted

Hi Tanya

I would suggest you work with a designer and help you bring the professional-ness of your store up a level. Your site is missing a lot of key pieces of information that are going to make people want to buy. Also, what are wax melts? Are they like candles.... you may want to explain what they are on your homepage to help those who don't know.

Here are some ways to make your store even better and make people want to purchase.

Homepage Feedback

1. Consider adding a Featured Product section on the homepage (i.e. Wax Melt Of The Month). Pick one products and tell people why you picked it and what makes it great

2. I would work with a designer to make your homepage more "pretty" looking, right now it does not sell me on wanting to buy from your store or trust your store

3. Add links to your footer for about us, return/refund, FAQ, and shipping policy. I didn't see these pages on your site and they are ones customers will look for

4. Make sure all your product images are the same size and dimensions. This is going to help tie your site together

Product Page  Feedback

1. Add links to your shipping and return/refund policy on each product page

2. I would redesign the layout of your product page as it's disorganized right now. I would make sure you have Product Title, Costs, Size/Colour Selection, Add To Cart button and then Product Description as the order of your product page information. Anything else needs to be put somewhere else on the product page...the above layout is what people expect

3. Add a longer product description as this is how you convince someone to buy on your site. Plus it helps with SEO and ranking in organic search

4. Make sure each product has 3 - 5 images as that will help someone decide if they want to purchase. A lot of products I saw only had 1 or 2 images

5. Make sure the product images have the same coloured background, some have white and some have other colour shades

Your store is going to needs work but it is work that will make your store 100% better. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with Conversion Rate Optimization: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0
Thank you so much for the detailed input
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
33 3 12

Hi - 

First things first. How many add to carts are you seeing? Typically if people are adding to carts and dropping off, there's a disconnect with your checkout/shipping charges/etc. With that being said, you need enough data points to start to identify a trend.

Agree regarding some of the other feedback. Points to consider. 

• Not immediately clear from your brand/header what you are selling. Here you might see a tagline or positioning statement early on the page to define wax melts and what makes you different. 
  • Hero image is good but not immediately clear what you are making (back to the first bullet). 
  • The navigation is clunky. Drop downs are small and difficult to read.
  • No product collections on the homepage. Here you can add a "Best Sellers" collection with clickable thumbnails just to make your homepage more shoppable while also showcasing some of your best products.
  • Product descriptions are good but could benefit from some additional texture. https://happywax.com/collections/soy-wax-melts/products/pina-colada-wax-melts. Ex. "Made with 100% all natural soy wax, infused with essential oils."
  • Product reviews will definitely help. Build that into your process as orders start to come in.
  • Look at your abandoned cart email recovery. What do your emails say? When do you send them out? 

I hope that helps.

Shawn

Marketing Strategy @ DeepVarnish.com

https://experts.shopify.com/shawn-graham

0 Likes