Facebook Ads but no Sales as of yet

Fabian3001
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi, 

I am aware of all the other related posts out there but would like to get some advice on my specific ad and website, thanks!

This is the ad: https://fb.me/aBMV5gFI6bCE6y
This is my website: www.comfyshoelaces.com

I currently run 3 adsets with all 1 ad and a budget of $15 a day. It has been running for 3 days and reached 6000 people, got 126 clicks, but only 5 initiated checkouts and no sales. I also have a bounce rate of 75 percent. As I am quite new, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, or perhaps I should just wait? Any help/advice/suggestions would be awesome! 

Thanks!

Fabian

mikemos
Tourist
9 0 6

@Fabian3001 

Your site doesn't look trustworthy. I wouldn't buy from your site.

0 Likes
Fabian3001
Tourist
6 0 1

hey thanks for your reply. Can you explain why it seems untrustworthy to you? How can I improve on this? Thanks!

0 Likes
mikemos
Tourist
9 0 6

@Fabian3001 

Yes, sure.

Few things for me:

- Your homepage is a product page. Try to make a Homepage and redirect it to your product page.

- Look at other product pages and ask yourself the question: What are the difference between their page and mine?

example: https://www.thesting.com/nl-nl/hoodie-met-print-middenroze-344244

- Remove the empty spots in your Footer and add some others:

Terms of service, privacy policy, Delivery etc. 

And delete the 'Search' in your footer since you have a OPS.

- Maybe remove the blue theme on your store and change it to black/white. This looks more profesional.

My biggest tip is just look at other, bigger stores and look what they have. You don't need to copy that site, but just look at what they have and pick the good things out.

Fabian3001
Tourist
6 0 1

That is really helpful, thanks! I'll start working on it. Initially, I thought the lack of sales where due to the new IOS 14 rules that will impact how conversion events tools for Facebook Pixel can be used. But perhaps the site itself is more important. 

0 Likes
LuckyDanny
Shopify Partner
246 43 151

Hey there, @Fabian3001

Welcome to Shopify! First of all, great start on the store. It shows how much work and effort you’ve put in. I completely understand your frustrations in driving traffic.

When you have paid traffic that isn’t converting, I look at a few things:

1. Are you targeting the right audience?
  2.  Is there something going on with your store?

Before we jump in, I have to clarify that I will be talking about visitor behavior. You know visitor behavior through analytics like Google Analytics, but I’m talking about one step further in tools like heatmaps (to see where people click and scroll) and session recordings/replays (to watch what happened during someone’s visit). 

First, let’s talk about the right audience.  Are you using UTM parameters for your ads? I don’t think you are, but I could be wrong. These are snippets of code that are placed at the end of the link for tracking purposes. If you have those, you could:

• Filter a heatmap to see which campaigns were most successful
  • Filter session recordings to watch what happened during the session of people who bounced vs. those who clicked into your product

Now let’s get into your website.

You are doing a lot of things right. For example, you have a favicon. You have customer reviews (we’ll talk more about that in a bit). That’s really a great start. 

I do see you’re missing:

• Social media links
  • Shipping, Privacy, Refunds, Terms & Conditions, and your About Us page to include in your footer
  • Chat would be helpful here. It would let people reach out while they are still on the site. You can also set up auto invites which trigger a chat invite when someone meets certain criteria, like spends 45 seconds on a page without adding it to the cart. 

Moving on, there are some issues. Let’s start on the homepage.

• I would use a different theme. I believe you’re using the Minimal theme if my Koala Inspector is correct. Even a more standard theme like Debut may be better suited. That would let you use a more traditional layout. For your header, you could move your logo to the left while moving up the main navigation. Your cart could move down from the announcement bar. It also would allow your page to expand for desktop rather than look like it's a mobile version with a ton of padding on the sides. 
  • Announcement bar: Speaking of your announcement bar, I would make the font color white or a brighter color to make it easier to see. Also, link it!
  • Hero image: You need to have a hero image here with a link to your product. Use one static image with a CTA button. 
  • I wouldn’t just immediately jump in. It’s a red flag to customers when the homepage product (which is the same product as in the FB landing page) doesn’t look remotely similar to your other product page. Consistency is key here.
    I would suggest using session recordings to see how people are using your homepage. While this isn’t your landing page for your ads, it is something that visitors may see. 
  • Video: I’m a fan of using videos, but this isn’t formatted for YouTube. As a result, it stands out in the wrong way. Is there a version that is optimized for YouTube?
  • Newsletter: You have this in the footer, so I would remove it from the homepage. 

Footer:

• It looks like this is a work in progress. The Latest News and Follow Us columns are blank. 
  • Newsletter: Add in value here. You have to remember that your visitors don’t know if they want to buy from you, so they definitely don’t know if they want to give you their email address. Do they get a promotion? What?
  • Contact Us: Add in a nice welcome message with your email address. Some visitors get antsy about buying from you without a direct way to contact you. For your form, remove the phone number field. It has a high abandonment rate for most stores. 

Main Navigation

• Use a heatmap to see if people are clicking on it or engaging with it at all. 
  • I would change “Shop Original Comfy Shoelaces.” This is the only time I can see that you use the work ORIGINAL. Consistency is key.
  • Also, keep it simple. Test different messaging to see if there’s a better way to promote the product page. This isn’t a traditional store, and you have to rethink some of those traditional methods. 
  • Since you have most of your visitors land on the product page, I doubt many people are using the main navigation. Watch session recordings to find out. 

Product Page

• Since you use this as a landing page, I would suggest watching session recordings to see how people are moving around once they are on this page. Do they look at anything? Are they hovering over any details? Do they scroll through your pictures? 
  • Another suggestion: Run a poll that asks them what almost stops them from buying. You may find that it’s something you didn’t expect. 
  • Reiterate free shipping. While it’s on your announcement bar, it may be missed. Move it between the price and product name.
  • Images: I’m not a fan of the scrolling images. I get you have many different colors, but it’s not working in its current layout. It looks clunky and hard to use. 
  • Color: Give it some sort of order. Right now it’s all over the place. I would group them by color to keep like colors (i.e., light blue and navy blue) next to each other. 
  • Remove “Ships To” drop-down. It’s irrelevant and may scare away your visitors.
  • Can you increase the quantity? Right now there's’ no option.
  • Details: These are great, but I’m missing basic information like length and care. You added these in the FAQ, but no one is going to find it. They need that information here as well. 
  • Reviews: If you want a red flag, this is a huge one. No product in the world only has five-star reviews. While I understand you imported only the five-star reviews, you need to expand this to include more reviews, even if it’s a two-star. Reviews can be the ultimate way to instill buyer confidence, but that doesn’t help if it looks fake to someone. 

It may sound like a lot, but this is all really minor compared to creating the store. It’s about finding out what your visitors are doing and using that information to tweak and improve your store. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Fabian3001
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the extremely elaborated and useful insights/tips. It took me a while to respond as I tried to implement most of your suggestions asap, and I've just published the new version of my site. I'm still figuring out which app to use for a chat function on the website, as I do not want it to be too invasive. 

homepage/theme
Initially, I wanted to have a kind of one-page website. But I've now incorporated your suggestions, switched to Debut theme, and changed the home page. Problem is that I do not yet have valuable info to put on the homepage, so for now, it is mainly the hero image, a customer service text, and an (updated) video of the product.

Footer
I implemented most of your suggestions. I did not add an email address to the contact page as I only have a @Gmail type of account and this seems somewhat unprofessional to me. 

I have now installed google analytics and added utm to the links on Facebook ads. I suppose those heatmaps/session recordings are only available through, for example, your platform? I have furthermore canceled the Facebook ads as I am not sure what a good target audience might be. I am now first trying influencer marketing on IG.
I have also tried to import some below 5-star reviews. Problem is that the product has over 10K reviews on aliexpress and when I import the reviews, it only selects the 5-star ratings, even though I've selected import all ratings... but hopefully, it seems a bit more legit now. 

I will most definitely check out Lucky Orange!

Once again, a huge thank you for all the tips! It really helped me a lot. I will continue to improve the website, but hopefully, it looks better already. 

Best,

Fabian

0 Likes
AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
2427 141 439

Hello @Fabian3001, I hope you are doing good! Sachin here, from the Aitrillion Team at Shopify. Here are few suggestions that you can work on:

- Add a separate page of the shipping policy.

- On the product page, add Quick view & Color swatch.

- Being a single product store, display the product on the home page with little information and a call to action button.

- Showcase reviews on the home page. It helps in building trust with other visitors. 

- Add exit-intent popup. Track when someone is about to leave your website and show the visitor exit-intent popup with attractive offers and coupon code to complete the purchase.

- Add a web push notification. It turns visitors into subscribers and subscribers into customers. It can be sent even when customers are not in your store and bring back the lost customer to your store. You can also send an abandoned cart push notification, it helps to reduce the abandoned cart rate. Send price drop alert notifications to bring back customers to the store.

You can add a countdown timer to create urgency for your promotions or offers with the countdown timer bar and motivate your customers to buy more from the store. It helps in increasing sales.

If you would like to implement the above features/ customer engagement or marketing tools in your store. I would recommend you to try out the all in one Shopify app AiTrillion. I am sure you will find it useful.

Hope this Helps!

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
0 Likes