Feedback Needed

Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi there,

I started my stationery and enamel gift box store at the end of August and I have over 800 followers now. I've been constantly working on tweaking my store and I usually get great feedback from other groups but my store is not getting anywhere near enough conversions.

My store is where they can create a gift box and choose what goes inside it. I run Facebook and Instagram ads and get around 50 ATCs in a day but very few conversions, if any. My target audience is in the 13-17 year old bracket (they're the most responsive to my ads) and my issue could be that they aren't able to buy because of their age. I tried to run ads for the parents, too, but they weren't as responsive nor did they convert (and it is was more expensive). With what I sell, it really should be flying off the e-shelves and it isn't. There's a lot of engagement in the comments of people always saying they love it and recommending it to friends so I'm totally confused. Maybe they find the product pages confusing? I have an explainer page in the tabs, a blog post explaining the gift boxes, a live chat that I always keep an eye on, a dedicated page for the few reviews I've got--but it's just not quite working. It's very sad to be honest, because I know I have a great idea and people think so, too. My sales come in drips and I think it could be much better, really wonder what the issue is. Please help, if you're well versed in these kind of things or currently run a successful store. I'd appreciate your feedback a lot.
www.lemongiftbox.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2680 190 424

Hi @LemonGiftBox,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Firstly I want to say your store looks great. I like the way you've laid out your home page and displayed your products as well as the YouTube video embed and your Instagram. It offers a wide variety of online experiences. I especially like the Instagram stories below the main menu navigation bar, really nice touch. 

I completely understand by having a younger demographic target market, that they might not be able to purchase from the store online because of their age, which is something you can't really change. But I have seen other online stores with a similar demographic launch and be successful. The one which springs to my mind instantly is GoldieBlox so it is something which can be achieved. The owner of GoldieBlox Debbie Sterling went on to win a competition (Build a Bigger Business) with Shopify and spoke about it on the Shopify Master podcast which you might find helpful here

Something else which you could consider adding is a trust seal badge. If your target audience is on the younger side it is more likely that their parents/ guardians would be purchasing the product as a present/ gift. The trust seal badge shows confidence and legitimacy to any store making it more likely for visitors to convert. You can see the Shopify guide for how to add a trust badge here as well as a free app you can add here

I like how you've added the explanation in the product page to eliminate any chance of confusion as well as the shipping tab. I don't believe this is the problem for consistent sales. Something to remember is getting to a level of consistent sales is something which can take time sometimes. Another great marketing technique through Instagram is organic engagement. By finding common posts or posters and engaging with your target audience in a genuine fashion and not selling them, but conversing, you will build an audience that you know like your brand and store and which are more likely to convert if not straight away, down the line. A top Shopify expert spoke to a store owner who implemented this very successfully which you can listen to here

I don't feel you are doing anything wrong per se at all, but want to encourage you to keep going. I feel you're in a good place and to get to where you want to be will take some time, and the potential is there. 

Wishing you all the best and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions about anything specific either. 

Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for taking the the time to write a thorough response.

I greatly appreciate your kind words. It means a lot. Some days I'm hopeful for my store and other days I'm super discouraged--today was one of those days. So, thank you!

I did have a trust mark, a McAfee Secure one. It didn't make much of a difference with conversions as I don't think it may have given the impression it should have (apparently studies show that shoppers just think it won't give them a virus as opposed to my site being safe to shop at and that it gets tested every day). It was an added cost for my store as it was £16/month and I didn't see the value of it.

Upon removing it, I didn't really see any difference. Do you know of any affordable and recognised trustmarks I could use, perhaps? Ideally, the Norton one would be best, but I've looked at prices and I can't justify nor afford it as a new small business with very inconsistent sales. Any advice would be appreciated.

I totally agree with increasing organic engagement, I've tried out a few things on my Instagram page and was really surprised by the amount of engagement I got from my followers. I've just got to keep it up.

I'll also check out the people you've mentioned as I'm sure I'll get some more valuable information.

Thank you, once again, Nick!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2680 190 424
I did have a trust mark, a McAfee Secure one. It didn't make much of a difference with conversions as I don't think it may have given the impression it should have (apparently studies show that shoppers just think it won't give them a virus as opposed to my site being safe to shop at and that it gets tested every day). It was an added cost for my store as it was £16/month and I didn't see the value of it.

Upon removing it, I didn't really see any difference. Do you know of any affordable and recognised trustmarks I could use, perhaps? Ideally, the Norton one would be best, but I've looked at prices and I can't justify nor afford it as a new small business with very inconsistent sales. Any advice would be appreciated.

Glad to hear you are thinking positively. 

Yes, when I mentioned a trust badge it is more to show you are a trusted buyer more than worried about giving a virus of any kind. Because you are with Shopify, there shouldn't be a need to justify or worry about stating anything regarding a virus. I touched on using a free app for the trust badge in my first reply which you can see here again, but it could be worth checking out some others one which I would recommend which isn't too expensive you can find here

I'm hoping the GoldieBlox story can give you some inspiration as it can take some time for stores to be consistent. The trick is to stick at it and I believe your store has the potential to be a huge success. 

Wishing you the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like