Feedback On Specialty Pet Store

Highlighted
2 0 3

Hi, we've launched our new website with Shopify about 3 months ago now. We were looking for any sort of feedback on our store or any apps that you guys think we should potentially be using that any of you have had good experiences with.

We have been having some issues with customers not being able to figure out how to select product sizing on variants. Is there anything you think we could do to help newbie online shoppers or change on our end to help?

Our store is www.exoticwings.ca thanks for any feedback you can provide.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
99 20 65

Hi ExoticWings

You’ve put a TON of work into your site. There’s a lot you’re doing well, like: 

• Currency localization 
  • Live chat
  • Excellent local information

Now, that being said, your website has a lot going on. 

Homepage

First impressions are everything, and the first impression of your store is that large number of sliding header images. You have 20 of them! Unfortunately, it doesn’t add anything to your site. I would test limiting it to just one or removing it altogether. 

Since you are a pet store, I would think that shopping by department would be more effective. 

Heatmaps, which show where visitors click and scroll, will be a huge help here. You can see:

• If they scrolled to the bottom of your page or not
  • Where they are clicking (or not)
  • If certain pets are more popular than others 

Your menu bar is very heavy. When I use the drop-down menu from the desktop, it extends below the fold and forces me to scroll just to see the full list of secondary collections. If you had session recordings, which act like a DVR for your store, you could physically see what I’m seeing. 

A heatmap would help you slim down your menu bar a bit and help you see where you could move some items (like About or Events/News) to your footer. 

Navigating
In general, I’ve run into a large number of pages without any products in them (i.e., dog collars, dog harnesses and dog leashes). That goes for the entire Live Department. If it’s not available, you need to hide it. 

Let’s say I have a bird, and I’m looking for a cage. When I look at the cage drop-down, I am given collections in both size AND brand. 

ExoticWings-1.png

If you’re saying customers are having issues with sizing, this is probably it. 

In general, simplify. Run a poll asking customers to tell you how much a product’s brand factors in their purchase. That may help you understand if you even need to feature the brand in the drop-down.

Basically, find out what they are looking for. Heatmaps and recordings would help you with this as well. 

Product pages

I would also add more sizing options for each category. If I’m looking at the Prevue Hendryx Select Parrot Cage Small, I may realize that it’s not the right size after all. If I had other size options available from that page, I could quickly go between the sizes and find what I’m looking for instead of having to back out and click on a different collection. 

Use click heatmaps and recordings to see what people are reading. The details you are featuring may not be what they are trying to find. What other detail can you move up? 

Also, a guide would really help here too. If I’m a newbie to the bird world, when do I get a swing instead of a ladder? How do I pick a travel carrier for my new cat? Can a cage be too big for a bird? 

You’re the expert! Tailor your product pages so that newbies like me get the answers we need. That may be the secret to helping solve the size search issues your customers are having.

Speaking of questions…

I know you have a chat system in place, but does it have auto invites? If it does, use it! If not, find a chat system that does. You want to be able to target shoppers who are having issues. You could set it up to auto invite anyone who spends more than 45 seconds looking at a specific product page or collection. 

So instead of a button that says, “Chat with us; we’re online,” it could open an invite that says, “Do you need assistance picking a bird cage today?” 

There also are chat systems that let you co-browse with your customers. When someone does chat in, you can show your customers on their own screen where to go with a highlight function. It’s pretty cool, and it can help those customers who have no clue what they’re looking for.

Lastly, a few quick fixes:

• Make sure your social media links open in a new tab
  • Give the options to see all instead of only by collection (i.e., all cat toys instead of just interactive cat toys)
  • Is this page supposed to say “Logo list?” 

I really see your website thriving and growing, ExoticWings! Especially if you use visitor behavior to drive your updates, you’re going to have so much insight to make a difference for your customers and sales. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, recordings, chat, polls and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month. 

Good luck, ExoticWings! Be sure to update with your progress - I can’t wait to see how your business grows.

Cheers - 

Danny

Was my answer helpful? If so, please consider liking my post and marking it a solution. I appreciate it!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1053 53 157

Hey @ExoticWings, your store looks good. Seems like you have put a lot of effort. Here are some suggestions:-

1. You should add testimonials on the homepage. Give product recommendations by personalizing the customers' shopping experience. It can be like BEST SELLERS, RECENTLY VIEWED.

2. Add the 'HOME' option in the header menu. In the footer menu add quick links like privacy policy, shipping policy, returns and refund policy. Add the FAQ page.

3. Add a web push notification - It turns visitors into subscribers and subscribers into customers. It’s a powerful and effective marketing tool adopted by online businesses to reach out to and interact with their audience, keep them updated about any important information, announcing sales and offers, and eventually driving more eCommerce conversions.

Have you tried the integration of web push notification with the loyalty reward program?

You can engage your customers by giving them loyalty points on activities like on signing up, allowing for push notification, leaving a review, visiting a store. In this way, the number of push subscribers will increase, reviews will increase, newsletter subscribers will increase. You can send push notification to your customers in real-time which will help you to bring back visitors to your store and will help in winning back the losing customers. 

To implement this you can install AiTrillion.com. It is a fully integrated app and with automation, you can track each and every activity of your customers and send push notification in real-time which will result in sales. It is an all in one Shopify app. You can check it out. 

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes
Highlighted

Nice to see another fellow Canadian on here. You have a decent site but there are UX and other issues right off the bat, that is going to make it hard for customer to buy on your site.

Homepage Feedback

1. I would clean up the design of your homepage as it's disorganized right now. Also make it shorter overall and make sure you have a consistent theme and design across the homepage. There are a lot of colours and information that can make it overwhelming for someone visiting your site for the first time. Working with a designer to help refine your brand and look would go a long way to build your brand online

2. Carousels have been proven to lowers conversions rates ...limit how much you use the one on your site. No one is going to wait around to see what is on each sliders

3. Your main menu is way to large and hard to navigate. This needs to be redesigned as it does not work for anyone right now. You want people to have to click less to find the find section on your site to buy product for their pet. A drop down menu can work but you have gone overboard on how it is used right now. Look at some of your favourite site and see how they use drop down menus. Even look at Chewy who would be the gold standard in your industry

4. Add links to your footer for about us, return/refund, contact us, FAQ, and shipping policy. Moving these out of your main menu would help free up space

5. If a collection is product is empty, then don't have it on the site. i.e. cat beds

6. If you are going to have a product on your homepage. Make it a Featured Product type section as it makes it look like something planned. This leggings needs a section title and why you picked this product to feature

Product Page  Feedback

1. Make sure each product has 3 - 5 images as that will help someone decide if they want to purchase. A lot of products I saw only had 1 or 2 images

2. Try to get past customers to leave you reviews... this helps build social proof and makes it easier for people to trust your brand. A

Your store needs some major work on design and navigation to take it up a level. Apps and tools won't help as your issue is one of design, UX and navigation. Fix these 3 areas before trying to bring on any apps or technology. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with Conversion Rate Optimization: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
0 Likes