Feedback on my store- Already implemented improvements suggested by shopify experts

Solved
Tourist
7 1 4

Hi! I launched my store (locale09.com) about 3 weeks ago, selling hair extensions and wigs mainly. I have implemented several improvements that were suggested by a few shopify experts from the forum. I also created a few new ads on Facebook to get more visitors to my site, and it worked! But, I still haven't made my first sale. I've had over 500 visitors by now, I'm not sure what else to change. I've been analyzing the data in Google Analytics, and it looks like about 80% of visitors don't get past the home page. But the bounce rate has decreased over the past couple of days. Does anyone have any suggestions? My website is locale09.com. Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
553 49 104

Hey here, @Elvisa 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Congrats on launching your store and well done on your aggressive marketing - you need that when launching your store. The high number of customers that are visiting the homepage and then leaving has me wondering if you are perhaps targeting the right audience with your ads? Sprout Social have a great guide on "How to Master Facebook Ad Targeting & Zero-In on Your Audience". I would recommend checking it out here to make sure you are targeting your ads as effectively as you possibly can. 

Moving on to your products themselves,  you could definitely work on the descriptions. The first thing I always look at when giving feedback on stores is the product descriptions. Anyone who is familiar with AliExpress or Oberlo will spot this right away and in doing so they will know that they can get the products cheaper elsewhere. With online stores, there are no sales representatives and so the products literally need to speak for themselves. Instead of listing your products' specs in your current format you should try writing descriptions that persuade the customer to buy the item. Why do they need this watch? How will it make their life better? I recommend taking a look at Oberlo's guide on writing a product description that sells here. This will also help you improve your SEO which will bring more traffic to your store organically.

As you seem to be losing a lot of customers on the homepage itself I would recommend showcasing more featured collections and products on the homepage itself. Have you organized your products into collections such as straight, curly, wavy, etc? It could be beneficial to sort out your hair products into hair type as well as product type i.e. clip on or extensions. Once you have your products well sorted out, showcase the collections on the storefront. This way, your customer can navigate your site with much more ease and they will be more likely to see something that catches their eye immediately. 

On your homepage, I noticed that your product image sizes vary. While this is not technically an issue, your store would look that bit more polished and professional if all the images were of a standard size, especially in collection pages etc. I would recommend using an app such as Photo Resize to get all of your images uniform. 

I noticed that a lot of your product images are missing their Alt Description. Luckily adding an alt description is super easy to do and can be done so as outlined in this doc which can be found in our help center the home of all our help docs!

I noticed that you have an About Us page, it is, however, very short and does not really tell your customer anything about your business. The About Us is probably the most underutilized marketing tool on Online Stores. What an About Us page should be is a goal-oriented sales page, one that focuses on highlighting the biggest selling points of your story and brand, making a strong impression on curious customers. It is the perfect place to highlight a number of objectives such as:

-  Communicate the story of your business and why you started it.
-  Describe the customers or the cause that your business serves.
-  Explain your business model or how your products are made.
-  Put a face to your business, featuring the founders, or, the people on your team.
-  Incorporate persuasive content (e.g. an explainer video, data visualizations, links to blog posts) that might otherwise clutter your homepage.

In short, your online store displays your products brilliantly, your "About Us" page should be telling your customer why they should buy from you.

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
19 0 3

No doubt you are going in the right direction here. But before spending your money on FB ads you need to make sure your store is ready to capture and engage them. If not then you may end up losing all your money. What I want to say is you need to focus on customer engagement and retention before investing in ads. I was in the same boat. I have some suggestions for you which really helped me in my store engagement and conversions. Would you like to hear them?

@Elvisa wrote:

Hi! I launched my store (locale09.com) about 3 weeks ago, selling hair extensions and wigs mainly. I have implemented several improvements that were suggested by a few shopify experts from the forum. I also created a few new ads on Facebook to get more visitors to my site, and it worked! But, I still haven't made my first sale. I've had over 500 visitors by now, I'm not sure what else to change. I've been analyzing the data in Google Analytics, and it looks like about 80% of visitors don't get past the home page. But the bounce rate has decreased over the past couple of days. Does anyone have any suggestions? My website is locale09.com. Thank you!

@Elvisa wrote:

0 Likes
Tourist
7 1 4
Thank you for the in depth review Bo! I will definitely implement the changes you suggested.
2 Likes

Hello there, Here two side of goal 1) is to push users to your store 2) convert leads to the customer. You can find that you will have a lot of customers but low conversions. So on that point, you will see that your bounce is high and the reason will be the brand trust in case if your store is new. Try to have some social proof and urgency app on your store. You can install sever of them but I have one where all features from one dashboard (Nextsale app). This will be figuring out your two biggest issues: high bounce rate and low trust.

Nextsale - Shopify App
0 Likes

Hi Elvisa, 

Congrats on starting a store and getting traffic to it!  Also, props for using Google Analytics - it'll help you a ton!

You said that your main problem right now is that your visitors aren't making it past your home page, and one potential reason why is that your using a left nav with nested menu options (i.e. you have to hit the plus sign to make the nav expand).  This makes it hard for visitors to understand how to browse your products!

We'd try switching to a top nav with your most popular categories displayed automatically.  Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 9.37.15 PM.png

(revzilla is an ecommerce brand known for their relentless conversion optimization, so it can be a great site for design inspiration).

With an easier to navigate menu, you should find that the rate of visitors going from you homepage into a category page goes up!  

Best,

Entaice 

Want to increase your site's conversion rate? Get our Ultimate Guide to Conversion
You can also increase your store's conversion with better product sorting powered by Entaice. Try Entaice Now
0 Likes
Tourist
7 1 4
Thank you for your suggestion. I
1 Like