I have been selling on Ebay and Etsy for about 15 years, but certain policies have led me to think I should go at it alone. I started setting up my CoxRetros vintage kitchenware store in October of 2019, but I am really serious about it now.
I want to keep it simple, so I am using the "Simple" template, but I am wondering if it is TOO simple and maybe even dull and boring. I have migrated just the 4 more popular collections/departments from Etsy and have been working on shortening the listing titles, tidying up the description text, and changing the weights (the total number of ounces converted to the same number, but in pounds!!). I have my own domain, www.CoxRetros.com that once went to the Etsy shop but now goes to the Shopify shop, so I think (hope?) that people who were using it before for Etsy are still using it and will find the new Shopify shop.
I have been blogging on the Shopify shop, but I am not as regular about it as I know I should be. October of last year I started adding links in my order confirmation emails that I would send to each customer that would direct them to my Instagram page and also a mailing list sign up. I have about 15 names on that email list, though I am not sure what to do with that! I have increased my IG following a bit so it's at 393 now.
So far, I have had no sales from this site. I'd like some feedback on the site now so that I can have everything fixed for holiday shopping! I have a ton more items in the queue, waiting to be listed!
Since all my online selling experience has been with Ebay and Etsy, I have no experience with HTML or any sort of coding.
Any suggestions, tips, critiques, etc, are appreciated.
Congratulations on creating your new store and breaking away from etsy + ebay.
Just quickly, there are a few things that I would suggest you work on to better improve your stores credibility & increase conversions.
Take a look at what your competitors are doing in the same field. Take some aspects you like of each one and add your own spin.
Try not to say things like, "Hello, I have this product X which has this pattern". Instead try something like; "Elegant, Plain White, Winter Frost Pattern Dinner Plates"
Bad example, but I hope you get the drift. Avoid using the term 'I' instead use 'we', makes you sound that little bit more established.
Try and create a structure that is adapted to every product. Example product description structure would be;
- Introductory Paragraph (evoke emotion, attention grabbing, pre-sell)
- Basic History of The Product - (history of the pattern or where it originated etc)
- Product Dimensions
- What's Included
- Shipping Info
Keep shipping info simply and straight to the point. Your shipping rules and information would be a little confusing for new buyers.
Having rules setup based on weight for domestic and international would be best.
Having a consistent style of product description across your store builds trust and congruence.
Are you marketing to your past clients through email marketing? I can't tell on the front end.
Utilizing email marketing is a very effective way of increasing a customers Lifetime Value.
Are you running any paid advertisements via Facebook and Google?
Northeast Digital Media
Have seen your store and maybe it looks too simple.
There are some of my suggestions for you:
- On your homepage, you need to add:
+ Announcement bar to show your messages like FREE SHIPPING or SALE UP TO XX%
+ Banners. Where you can show your messages about your business and remember to add the CTA buttons to lead your customers to some shopping pages.
+ The featured products or featured collection.
+ The collection list that you're already had one.
+ Key features of your products
+ Instagram gallery
Check this app Shoppable Instagram Gallery. It will help you create one with ease and also make it shoppable.
I've seen your Instagram account, and it has much good content and many product photos. So don't miss this advantage.
- You can add Quickview buttons to allow your customers to see more product details faster.
- On your product pages, I think you need to change two things:
+ The description has too many texts. I think you need to have two separate parts, one is part show short details of products and the other is a detailed description.
+ Add Sticky Add to Cart bar
- You can consider using more upsell and cross-sell methods to increase your sales. Or if not, the price of the product set should show the price when your customers buy them separately.
- You've sold this product 15 years ago, so I think you need to highlight this point.
- Consider having live chat support to improve your customer service. WhatsApp can be a good channel to chat with your customers.
App WhatsApp Chat & Abandoned Cart will help you do that. Also, it's totally free.
Hope this helps!
I'm Richard - CRO Expert at PageFly Free Page Builder. I'm here, understand your concern, and want to give you some points to improve your home page. I hope it will be helpful for you, especially in the time the holiday was and be coming.
To get more tips to personalize your home page, you can check this article.
Your home page is really quite simple, lack of information and not really attractive. For the store that doesn't have too much collection, you should use horizontal header instead of vertical one. And put all collection in a group named "collections" or "categories"....
You can see an example here:
It's right that Simple theme is quite simple. You can consider using the Shopify Debut theme. This is a Shopify free theme, easy to use and has many necessary features. More details about this theme, you can check here.
- Make the header sticky.
Sticky header helps customers easily access to menu navigation and see all collections or other pages (About us, policy...) you're having or although they scroll down or up on your page. Customers can also quickly reach the Search field to find products with a sticky header.
- Prepare an attractive banner that show your products clearly with a Call-to-action button. And you need add more CTA button to your home page. At least 3 button. Make CTA button in the header primary button and make it highlight.
- Move this part up to the top of page, under the banner
You should show all categories you have right on your home page and put it at the top of the page (below the hero banner) so that customers will have an overview of your collections in your store.
If customers want to buy any product, they can click on the collection of that product.
Also, the text on each collection image is hard to see because it blends with the image. So I suggest you change the color of text to make it more highlight.
- Bold your headings
Your page will look more organized.
- Make your footer smaller
- Show more products in your homepage, testimonials/ reviews, newsletter...
I also see you're preparing to the coming holiday. You can refer to this comprehensive guide to get your store ready for holiday sales.
You can consider using a Shopify app builder to do more customization to your page. This is the app I'm working on - PageFly. This app helps you easily customize your any Shopify page and make it more attractive.
If you find my comment useful, you can like it. Have a great day!
I've taken a look at your store and found there are quite a few things which if added can make better conversions.
1. Add slideshow or banner images on the Home page to make the page more attractive.
2. Add sections like 'Featured Collection', 'Best Sellers', 'New Arrivals' to help customers keep updated on your store products.
3. Add product reviews as most of the customers read the review before purchasing the product.
4. Increase the form width on the Get in touch page.
5. You can add testimonials on the home page to make the store look more professional.
6. Create a Facebook account for your store. Having a Facebook Store is a great way to grow your business, allowing you to tap into new audiences and gain more customers.
7. A FAQ would be useful!
8. Discounts and limited-time offers will help to increase sales.
9. Add more specific product title/url in product pages.
Creating the perfect SEO product title/url can help the search engine understand exactly what it is you are selling and drive more traffic to your site. So try to keep the product title/url unique and more specific.
Before you think of ranking you should ensure your pages are found (indexed by Google). You can submit your store content regularly to all the major engines, or consider using a convenient tool like flare by Mansion Ecommerce. flare automatically detects site changes and verifiably informs major search engines like Google & Bing. You can get your free Google Index Score through flare. Plus! Only flare can submit individual URLs to Google & Bing, allowing your prioritized pages to be indexed first and fast.
Hope this was helpful!
Hello Dave @olaf617, Nice start to your site. Let me know if the below is honest enough! It's a nice list to begin with, and I'll be happy to take another look after you've made some changes!
I agree with you to keep the store simple. It doesn't make the store look cluttered. Currently, your store looks simple and clean & sorted. I would suggest you follow the same theme.
- The home Page should flow better. I would recommend setting it out like this.
Slideshow or banner Image ( with a CTA button )- Collection List- New arrivals, Bestsellers- Testimonials- Newsletter sign up box- Instagram Feed
- Make your store easy to navigate by creating a drop-down menu under the collection menu.
- You can add an attractive announcement bar to tell the information that you don't want your customers to miss out on.
- Add Reviews help in building trust with other visitors. Before purchasing customer prefers to go through the reviews. So, reviews are an important tool to be added to any online store.
- Don't forget to add marketing tools to your store. It's important to add eCommerce marketing tools to keep your customers engaged and enhance their browsing experience. Add web push notifications, loyalty reward program, livechat or Chatbot, referral program, and others.
Hope this helps!
If you are looking to implement customer engagement or marketing tools in your store. I would recommend you to install the all in one Shopify app AiTrillion. You can check it out. I am sure you will find it useful.
Congratulations on your new store!
1. Instagram gallery could be added for better brand promotions.
2. Customer testimonials on homepage would be better.
3. You may want to think about adding product reviews. Reviews are essential for any eCommerce store as it helps sell more and creates immediate trust with shoppers. Be sure to check out our review app.
I hope above points helps.
Turning More Shoppers Into Customers
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, those descriptions are a hodgepodge from the Etsy days. I think I did try to have a simple formula but I guess I didn't get too far with it! And the shipping info is leftover from my beef with their "Free Shipping" push-I agree-that should go.
I have a small email list from the links I put in the emails I send to each buyer to let them know I have shipped their order. I have the mailing list sign up link and the Instagram link in that. But I have done nothing with the email list-it's just sitting there...
I won't be running any paid ads until the site is better situated.
Thanks again, David! This has helped.
Hi and thank you for the feedback! I like the idea of a banner-I'll look into that.
I am working on linking the Shopify store to Facebook and Instagram, but I hadn't thought of having my IG photos on the site, too. I like that-thanks.
Yes, those descriptions are ridiculous! I'll trim those down and use a simple structure that's consistent throughout the listings.
I do like the sticky "Add to cart."
I'll work on live chat once I get the rest of the shop situated-that might be a bit much for me right now.
Thank you for the feedback!
I like the idea of collections and categories. I will be expanding the types of items I'm selling, so those just adding them to those core 4 collections will be too cluttered. Having a sticky header is a great idea, too. I do not like scrolling all over the place myself, so I can see that would be a pain on my site.
I did notice that footer growing with each link I wanted to add and I was not liking it. I do want to make that more concise-2 columns is a great idea.
I'll read your articles and I'll take a look at PageFly.