Feedback re: my new store: peppermint-twist-vintage.com

3 0 1

Hi everyone

I just transitioned my store from etsy a few weeks ago (most of my sales are on etsy) and I wanted to get your feedback from the experts. I sell vintage jewelry and need to work hard on a campaign to get more traffic.

But in the meantime, can you please give me some tips on my site? peppermint-twist-vintage.com

A few key points: (so you don't tell me what I need to know already)

• I admit, shopify had a steep learning curve - it was not as user friendly as I thought (still can't figure out how to get it to integrate fully with pinterest, for instance.) - it rejects my file time and time again  on pinterest - what am I doing wrong? I was approved but find it confusing
  • I do have a blog already, 
  • My site links well to instagram and promote still on etsy. Tailwind has helped a lot too.
  • I know what I sell is a niche market (it's not a bulk upload) and some of my pictures from etsy to the new site don't look at good - gray backgrounds vs white. But, I have hundreds of more products to list (*and only 24/hours in a day*) so I'd rather focus on taking new photos of the new inventory vs correcting the existing since I have 1,000 more to list and need to get my products up. And it's time consuming, to say the least.

Thank you for your time. Hopefully I will see some of you at the Holiday party in Waterloo ON. I will be there.

Nancy

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

peppermint-twist-vintage.com

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Unfortunately a popup comes up that you cannot even close. I'm in Google Chrome on a desktop. When I was able to use it briefly, the about page had no content. There is a lot that could be done first to improve the user experience.

0 Likes

Hi @redfoxx 

I'm having the same problem viewing your website on Internet explorer and Chrome. 

Etsy 

When I was selling on eBay I used creative ways to get my customers from eBay to buy of my website. I'm sure you could use some of the same tips. I wrote a article about it HERE or https://www.inspiresmallbusiness.com/blogs/shopify/ebay-to-shopify-sales

The one key thing I can tell you is your website has a advantage over all the big selling platforms (eBay , Amazon , Etsy etc) you can build a connection if your visitors. Work on building a connection. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

10,000 Reasons To Get A FREE Website Review HERE

0 Likes
3 0 1

Thanks. So Shopify has an instagram key thing and it was on my site. For some reason, there is a bug in it - it must be affecting all users. So I disabled it. I don't want to sell on ebay since it's not as popular in Canada but I will definitely read your article.

You can look at the site now - i had to disable the instagram feed widget that comes free with Shopify. I am sending them a note too..

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
145 19 29

Hi, @redfoxx!

Sophia here from Shopify. I had a chance to browse through your website, and I think you've done a great job of making it easy for customers to shop and find what they're looking for. There are just a few pieces of feedback I have to help you improve the website. 

First, consider removing the social media features in the middle of the home page. These blocks take up a large amount of space, and you already have your social media pages linked in the footer of the website. Having social media linked in the footer with recognizable icons for each platform is consistent with most other websites, so customers should know to look for that information there. You also already have an Instagram feed featured near the bottom of the home page, so removing these three blocks can help keep the home page from being too crowded.

05-47-zdb77-8jua8

While the newsletter signups on the home page have your "Stay informed!" text, the newsletter signup banner on the Read our Blog, Events, and Shipping and Information pages still have the placeholder text, "A short sentence describing what someone will receive by subscribing". You should be able to edit this under Online Store > Themes > Customize > Pages. From there, you can select each of these three pages one at a time and edit the "Newsletter" section for each one.

05-50-lm9kd-ddnhn

Lastly, I noticed that the URLs for some of the pages could be simplified. For example, the URL for the Read our Blog page looks like this: "https://peppermint-twist-vintage.com/blogs/vintage-jewelry-winter-2019-2020-trends-and-advertisement...". Customers might not notice it, but it is pretty long.

If you'd like to shorten the URL, you can head to Online Store > Blog posts > Manage blogs and click on the blog to edit. There, you'll see a Search engine listing preview section at the bottom of the page where you can click "Edit website SEO" and change the URL to something like "https://peppermint-twist-vintage.com/blogs/all" or "https://peppermint-twist-vintage.com/blogs/inspiration". These settings will also give you the option to create a URL redirect, so that if you've shared the original URL anywhere, customers will be successfully redirected to the new URL instead of being shown an error page. You'll find these settings under Online Store > Pages as well for pages like Shipping and Information.

Are you still having issues with saving things to Pinterest? Pinterest has a guide on Pinterest product specs here that explains which file types are allowed as well as what the file size and image dimensions should be. Alternatively, you can add Pins from the web to Pin directly from your website.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and have fun at the Waterloo holiday party!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes