Feedback would be much appreciated. The more negative the better :)

Highlighted
5 0 0

Howdy good people of Shopify.

Let me give you a bit of history about my Shopify journey. When I was 6 years old...only joking. I first opened a Shopify account 2 months ago. I spent the first 4 weeks getting a store together and learning the ropes. There is a hell of a lot to learn but I am enjoying the journey so far. My 9 - 5 is in the tech industry so I have a good handle on HTML/CSS and the techy side of stuff. eCommerce and marketing I was a blank slate.

My goal is to eventually give up my 9 - 5 and have more freedom in life. I think that is most peoples goal. I love travelling and have wrote travel blogs so I decided to open a Shopify store for Travel luggage, backpacks and Travel Accessories because there is a passion there and I can give value to the customers with my knowledge and enthusiasm. I know it is a competitive niche but I believe in doing something you love. That passion then comes through to the customers. I don't see this as a get rich quick scheme and since starting I have been coming home from my 9 - 5 and spent every evening up as late as 2 in the morning working on my store. Researching. Reading books on SEO and eCommerce. What's trending in my niche. Learning Google analytics and Google Ads. Reading Shopify forums :) I really am enjoying it :) It's give me a new purpose.

I opened my store 4 weeks ago. I was not happy with the design. I got feedback from friends and took that on board. But I also used my own judgement. 'What do I like to see when shopping on line?' and what puts me off. I started running Google Ads just over a week ago. I completely changed my store template last Tuesday and re-designed it and now I am a lot more happy with the look and to me it looks a lot more professional.

So, I paused my campaign today on Google Ads. I blasted through the free £75 and another £30 on top. I am getting to grips with Google Analytics and I can see my user clicks are going up and my bounce rate is going down. Which I figure is good. At the moment it is at 62.09% Bounce Rate. I have had no sales and nothing added to the cart. Yes I am slightly dissapointed but I have to temper my expectations. I have only been running Google Ads for a week. Customers don't know who I am and if they can trust me. Looking from what I have read on the communities people go months and even a year without making a sale. I also used SemRush which is an awesome tool. I got a 10 day free full trial. Using that I looked at some competitors. A competitor Shopify store has been live since 2016 and their traffic was flat line for the first 18 months. they where not even running Google Ads. After 18 months their traffic suddenly increased and they started running Google Ads. They are also making sales because every time I have browsed there site, checking out navigation, the cart etc a pop up tells me that somebody has made a purchase. So that is encouraging for me to see that.

With my store I have added a blog to add value. I have only 2 posts up but I will be adding more. There is a travel blog which are my own travel reviews with my own photos and a Travel Guide. I have started that with Airline Baggage Allowance because that is a pet peeve of mine having to find out what I can and can't carry on a flight with the various airlines and it is time consuming searching the internet so I thought that would be great to have all that information in one place for the customers and then link it back to my Luggage Collection.

So, now you know my story I would be very grateful if people could give me feedback on my store. Be as harsh as you like :) What I would like to say it is definitely not a finished product. It is a work in progress. I am currently sorting out how it  displays on Mobile as the Hero image is getting cropped and I want it to scale. I am adding products every day and will be adding more Blog content and tweaking the design. I'll start running Google Ads again in a few weeks when I get paid again and also have a better understanding of Google Ads.

This is my store. I'm not posting it just to get the back link. Honest! :)

https://hybridtrip.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
486 26 98

Hi @Seany1977 

Hey nice job on your store. Honestly it's quite good, I like it a lot. There are a few tiny things I would change.

Did you think about adding reviews. If you add reviews it will help keep your customers on your site. If your customer needs to leave your site to do research on a product they might not come back, adding reviews can help with that.

You might consider adding a sense of urgency. By using urgency, you can make your visitors feel like they are missing out unless they order immediately. The 'Fear of Missing Out' that they experience, will increase your ability to convert them into buyers. One app that can help you with that is https://apps.shopify.com/better-countdown . It really can make a big difference in getting your customers to buy from you

Did you think about adding a FAQ section. If your customer can't find an answer to their questions they may not buy from you. Adding an FAQ section will help to add trust, and make it so your customer doesn't need to leave your site, to find an answer to their question.

Nice job on your all of your hard work so far, and I'm sure that just a few minor changes will really help.

Just so you know, I also created a tiny email series that has some tips on making your shopify store better https://mailchi.mp/7d8692283c12/shopify-conversion-course

To learn more visit https://www.answrly.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thanks very much for the feedback FFT. The countdown is an excellent idea. I shall implement that.

I did import reviews from Ali Express but I found that the app and reviews were killing my speed especially on mobile devices. However I was importing reviews with images. When I removed the reviews my site speed increased. I think I'll try that again but only import reviews without images.

FAQs that is another excellent idea and I shall implement that.

Thanks for the feedback FFT. I have subscribed to your email series :)

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Seany1977 

Few Suggestions 

Remove Countdown Timers: If you care about building a brand I would remove them. If I view your website today and come back tomorrow are they still going to be counting down from 2 hours ? I would only use countdown timers on landing pages. 

If you don't care about building a brand then leave the countdown timers 

Home Page: Needs to flow little better. I would lay it out like this 

• Slideshow Image 
  • Collection List 
  • Something Interesting ( maybe image with the text ) 
  • Newsletter Sign Up ( Be Creative ) 
  • Popular Products ( 4-8 Max ) 

SEO: If you're interested in improving your search engine optimization Maggie fron @Rockpapercopy is a legend and also a member here. 

Overall you have done a great job. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

Grab Most Detailed FREE Review --->LEARN MORE

Client VIDEO TESTIMONIALS --->VIEW

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thanks Clayton. Much appreciated. I have removed the counters. I was not to sure about them and I am trying to build a brand.

The other tips are also excellent and I shall look at implementing them today. I was thinking of removing the 10% off and creating a news letter with the offer of 20% off first order for signing up. That would severely cut into my profit margin but if it can pull in customers and retain them it is worth it. I can then use the Newsletter to send users links to new Blog posts and any new products they could be interested in.

Google Analytics showed, after the first week of running Google Ads, that my most interested demographic was young women between 25 - 34. I was running adverts for a couple of Women's Backpacks but also other items and the women's backpacks got the most impressions and the most clicks. So, that information has already give me ideas of how to market my brand.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Seany1977 wrote:

Thanks Clayton. Much appreciated. I have removed the counters. I was not to sure about them and I am trying to build a brand.

The other tips are also excellent and I shall look at implementing them today. I was thinking of removing the 10% off and creating a news letter with the offer of 20% off first order for signing up. That would severely cut into my profit margin but if it can pull in customers and retain them it is worth it. I can then use the Newsletter to send users links to new Blog posts and any new products they could be interested in.

Google Analytics showed, after the first week of running Google Ads, that my most interested demographic was young women between 25 - 34. I was running adverts for a couple of Women's Backpacks but also other items and the women's backpacks got the most impressions and the most clicks. So, that information has already give me ideas of how to market my brand.

No dramas at all.  I love doing those reviews. 

Don't get me wrong countdown timers do work. I've seen them work. It's just if you want to win in the long run they're no good. In my first 1,000 sales on shopify 250 of them were repeat customers. So that is why I like to focus on the long game. 

Even if you don't make much of the first few sales that's OK its building momentum. Also say you get 6 sales those six emails should be worth at least $3-6 when you promote your products through email marketing if you do it right. So again the in the long term you win. 

Awesome news with Google Analytics. That will give you good idea. 

Really the Shopify community forum is good but it gets people stuck. To many different people giving there opinion. While most are good opinions and are right to a degree you should find one person and follow what they say. If what they say doesn't work move on to the next person until you find out what works for you and your niche.  

Grab Most Detailed FREE Review --->LEARN MORE

Client VIDEO TESTIMONIALS --->VIEW

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1062 50 316

Thank you for your recommendation 

✅ Get complete website audit | Click here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/

0 Likes