Get to Checkout, THEN ABANDON CART! Why?!?!

Highlighted
Tourist
22 0 1

As the title says, my page has bulk people going to checkout, then abandoning their cart! 

I think price might have been an issue, we don't seem to have any issue getting people to our site and liking the products, just that final step of converting sales.

www.missmistyboutique.com is the store, quite a small niche.

We are marketing through FB ads mainly (80%), a little through Google ADs (5%) and a couple Instagram Influencers (15%).

Can anyone please inform me as to where I am going wrong and what I should fix.

I have the issue that the font won't stay the same on each item, don't know why! 

I have tried most thing, all new apps, tried new themes, tried different marketing approaches.

Store has been open 1 weeks, had 1 good sale, and have had about 80 abandoned carts! 

Please help! Honesty is what I am after, tell me straight!

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
50 1 8
I added a product to cart on your store.. was a fast process, urgency was created, not too many steps. Tbh I am still figuring out the whole "turn abandoned carts into conversions"-thingy myself..

I checked for the first 6 days of april of my store:
Add to cart 115 (13,68%)
Proceed to checkout 39 (4,27%)
Conversions 22 (1,71%)

I read almost every blog or post online (lol ok mby not all but a lot at least :p) regarding conversion rate optimisation and applied their tips and tricks.. its been mostly a/b testing..

Next i am going to e-mail every abandoned checkout and just question them why they didnt complete payment.. If I find out something specific i will let you know :)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
22 0 1
haha mate! I am completely with you!

I am emailing all of the people who abandon their cart a special coupon for
a specified percentage amount off their next purchase! hoping that works.

I might actually email every single one too and ask the question haha, I
guess its the only way we will ever find out!!

Appreciate you responding so quickly! we should find out together, this
could be a good thread!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
200 22 36

Hi @missmisty1,

Hyde here to help.

The age-old question is: how can I improve my conversions?

One way to tackle is this is of course to provide sales and discounts, and I can see that you've created a 50% sale on your products - a great idea!

However, cheaper prices are not enough, as you're realizing from your own first-hand experience. It often takes a little something extra.

That something extra is usually about helping your customers feel like they're part of something bigger. They're not simply buying a product, they're buying an idea.

Nike did that with "Just Do It". Their customers don't buy sports gear, they buy the idea of empowerment and motivation, of the individual being as able as the athlete.

Similarly, you have a great "About Us" section that describes why you're doing what you're doing, but you need to help your customers understand why buying into your vision of the world allows them to be a part of a tribe. Why should they be doing it?

There's a really good philosophy explained by Seth Godin about creating your own tribe and enlisting people to be a part of it. Here's his Ted talk about the subject:

To build a brand you should look at having:

- a strong, relevant name.
- a visual identity (logo, color scheme)
- a mission statement - which you have already
- a target customer (who is your customer? What magazines do they read? What social media do they hang out on? Who influences their decisions? Are they high or low tech?)

Then you need to enlist people to join you on your mission. How do you do this? Well, you can get really creative with your product descriptions for starters:

Perfect for ___________________________ (ideal situation),
these _______________ (product name)
can be/will _______________ (tell a quick story).
(Product name) ______________
are ______________ (top features)
to _______________ (product benefits).
No more _____________________ (pain and/or challenge).

You could adapt this to help your customers understand why buying this product will help them be a part of a movement.

Using your mission statement you can combine this with your visual identity to craft a page that appeals to your target customer. Check out some great examples of About pages here

- About Life is Good 
- About Johnny Cupcakes

27-05-45alc-o75kx

Life is Good show the backstory behind their brand, their history and lets their customers know who they are!
27-06-x8wyo-mweps

They also show their mission statement to be uplifting and positive whilst encouraging their customers to engage with them on social media using the hashtag #thisisoptimism.27-19-3v0rr-6qyp4

And then, of course, there is the content. Are you creating videos? Are you creating blogs?

Here are resources for considering your customer's journey through your store, from the moment they land to the moment they (hopefully) make a purchase:

- 3 strategies for improving user experience

- ecommerce - ux

- 11 ways to step up your content marketing game

- marketing to millennials

So you'll want to create original and innovative content to capture your customer. Two ways to do this are:

- Create blogs this is super important and here's why.

- Add a video to your store - people respond to moving images and this is why it's important.

Have a think about what the philosophy or worldview is that you're championing, and then do it the fullest of your abilities. The conversions will follow. 

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. 

All the best, Hyde. 

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Pathfinder
83 4 28

Hi @missmisty1 ,

Lovely store and cute products.  Two quick thoughts for you:
1) How much traffic are you driving to your store?  FB ads can be fairly low converting (orders / sessions = < .3%), so some if the issues you're seeing could just be a matter of volume.  80 abandoned carts vs 1 order is pretty high though!

2) Try solving a simpler problem.  Focus on selling one product from your catalog and see what you can learn from that.  Measure each stage of your funnel with google analytics.  If you don't have it installed, you can read how to here:
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/reports-and-analytics/google-analytics/google-analytics-setup

Tired of having high traffic but no sales?
Learn how to increase your conversion rate with this Step by Step Guide
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1704 107 372

Hey Miss Misty Boutique,

"The average eCommerce stores lose over 75% of their sales to cart abandonment". This, clearly signifies that it is an "alarming issue" and is a hinderance in the progress of any ecommerce store as well. Hence, "proper store optimization" is a must to prevent it. Following steps should be followed:

1. "Your logo has the power to invoke an emotional response from shoppers".Hence, it must be of "appropriate size" to avoid it from looking awkward.
  2. The correct order of arrangement of the header elements is as follows: Home, All Products, Bestsellers, Sale, New Arrivals and About Us.
  3. A "professional central banner" is a must for imparting a "decent site view".
  4. " Twitter is a powerful tool for all ecommerce store owners".Hence, should be added alongwith Linked In to the footer social links to enhance store connectivity.
  5. Add some images to the"About Us" section to make it look more descriptive.
  6. For better "Customer Interaction", a "contact us" section is a must.
  7. A "BUY NOW" Button is an instant "Call to Action" which when added helps in simplifying the checkout process.
  8.  You can also install one of the most popular app Growwave which is all in one marketing platform that helps store owners increase conversions with ease.
  9. Filters are very important for customers in order to identify the correct product from the huge catalog. So, you should look for advanced filter options for your store.
  10. Finally, I would also recommend replacing the default search with an advanced search like Sparq which allows synonyms, advanced custom tag filters, spelling correction, and other such features. Visitors with search are high intent users and their conversion rate is higher than normal users.
    Check out the features live here
    You can use Sparq free trial for as many products in your store. After the trial period, you can enjoy with Sparq’s Free Starter Plan for upto 1000* products.

Wish the cart abandonment rate lowers bringing you a lot of sales.

Neha :)

Sparq is a fast and beautiful search solution for Shopify store owners. It allows store owners to upgrade their default search to an extremely fast, more user friendly and feature rich search
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
38 2 10

Hi @missmisty1 

I went through your store, nice job done! You have well taken care of many issues (https://www.esurveyspro.com/article-shopping-cart-abandonment-surveys.aspx) that often lead to cart abandonment (e.g. shipping cost before checkout, easy & quick checkout process, sufficient contact information, information about delivery times), great job!

The best next thing to do is ask your customers what they think of your store, so to find out your strengths and weaknesses. One of the most widely used metrics that you can use is Net Promoter Score: https://blog.hubspot.com/service/what-is-nps

You could add an NPS survey app to your store (https://apps.shopify.com/search?q=nps+survey) and send a manual survey to your customers with abandoned carts. I suggest you'd offer them a coupon code at the "thank you" page of your survey. As such, you will both be getting valuable feedback and try converting them to paying customers with a coupon code offer.

And of course, you could also schedule sending an automated post-purchase NPS survey to your paying customers too and keep getting feedback, promptly replying to non-satisfied customers and increase your customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Wish you all the best!

Maria

AskBeat - Easy Feedback NPS Surveys
Post-Purchase feedback & Abandoned Checkout email surveys
Install our App: https://apps.shopify.com/askbeat-nps-feedback
View FAQ: https://askbeat.com/faq
Visit our Blog: https://askbeat.com/blog
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
38 2 10

Hi @missmisty1 

Have you managed to sort out your issue with abandoned checkouts? I'd like to let you know that our app, AskBeat - https://apps.shopify.com/askbeat-nps-feedback, now sends automated (& manual) recovery emails to customers with abandoned carts, asking them beforehand for store & checkout feedback, so to find out possible reasons that prevent customers from completing their order. There is also the option to offer your customers a discount code at the thank you page, so to increase response rate & cart recovery. 

Wish you all the best!

Maria

AskBeat - Easy Feedback NPS Surveys
Post-Purchase feedback & Abandoned Checkout email surveys
Install our App: https://apps.shopify.com/askbeat-nps-feedback
View FAQ: https://askbeat.com/faq
Visit our Blog: https://askbeat.com/blog
0 Likes