Getting 'add to cart's and 'reached checkout's but no sales?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Good evening all,

I've recently started a Shopify store selling a women's specific ring, I have spent time designing my store to build trust for the customer, because one thing I learned early on is that building trust is a key component to making the conversion funnel work. I've set up multi pages and imported review and all the usual stuff.

I have also ran facebook ads for a couple of days and refined my audience fairly well, i will admit my audience is not close to being as good as it can be. But, i have got it to a group of people that at least take good interest in my store.

In the image below, is a screen shot i have just taken of the current statistics for my store today(conversion funnel)

Conversion funnel ss.PNG

Now, i know that in the big picture 30 sessions combined is not a lot, but i would of thought that if 23 people took enough interest into the product to then get to the checkout at least 1 person would go the whole way?

I'm not coming here to cry or anything I am simply just curious and not sure about what other steps i can take to ensure they go the whole way.

Thank you for taking the time to help, i will leave my site down below if you would be so kind to check it out and point out any flaws. Thanks

Jamie

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Jamie

A couple days of data is not enough. I'm not sure how much your ring costs but most people are not going to make an impulse purchase with a ring or jewelry. You are going to need to run your ads for 5 - 7 days and then see if you should continue with them. If you don't see any sales after 5 days then maybe try new creative (ad image and ad copy). Your creative is what will make or break this working for you.  Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

--
Duane

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with Conversion Rate Optimization: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi Duane, 

Thank you for your advice I appreciate it. My website is https://romancerings.net/

I know it doesn't look the best on desktop but 97% of my visitors are on mobile so I designed it to look good on mobile, just an FYI.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could look at my website and point out any errors or mistakes. 

I went off of the incentive that the ring is very unique and has a wow factor so it doesn't just get stuck in the mud like most jewellery like you said. 

Thank you, 

Jamie

0 Likes
Highlighted

HI Jamie

Here is some high level feedback. One product stores are really hard... because either people want that item or they don't... and if they don't they have nothing else to buy.

Homepage Feedback

1. The main image on your homepage of the couple...does not tell me your sell a ring. Also the text and button are small compared to how big the image is

2. Add links to your footer for an about us page...will make you look less like a drop ship site

Product Page  Feedback

1. I don't get what is going on in that video on the product page. Not sure if it's helping or hurting your conversion rate

2. Have you thought about trying to make ring come in a nice custom box or something. That would make your site more unique and look less like a drop ship sit. You could take nice pictures of the ring in the box. Plus you can add copy to the product description about how it comes in a nice case/box

Your store just needs some tweaks to take it up a level. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with Conversion Rate Optimization: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Thank you, this advice was helpful and I will take steps to tweak and alter the site.

Thanks again,

Jamie.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
211 28 34

Hi, @JamieO!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

I'm happy to see that @DuaneBrown has provided you with some valuable feedback on your store aesthetics.

I wanted to chat a bit further on the numbers your screenshot shows and some possible strategies beyond aesthetics that can help.

With regards to how a sales/conversion/marketing funnel works, normally the highest number would be at the top and narrow down as you convert sales. However, in your screenshot, it appears that you may either have a broken funnel, are using an accelerated checkout or added a code to bypass the cart page when customers click the call to action button on your product pages. If you do have any of those situations, you may have some different numbers that you'll want to consider working with.

My best guess from seeing your site without any further information is that you don't have those two latter situations impacting your numbers in a big way. However, the numbers concern me a bit. The reason being is that to get someone to reach the checkout, they need to add something to the cart. If they haven't added anything to the cart, this means that they won't be reaching the checkout at all. Thus, it appears odd that your Add to Cart conversion rate is significantly less than your Reached Checkout conversion.

alt

Let's also factor in DuaneBrown's excellent observation that your stats aren't a full representation of your long term results since there isn't enough data to make a concrete analysis. 

This brings me to a couple of tips or pieces of advice to help you out a bit. Without looking at your business analytics and marketing metrics here are a few things that you can consider when looking at your business long term:

• When tracking analytics, it's like watching a plant grow. Give it a few days then review the numbers. I prefer to check the last 30 days for a good picture of the month's progress. You can opt to review the last 7 days if your store is new and under 30 days old.

• Before your data will tell an accurate story, your store should have at least 1000 traffic sessions in a 30 day period.

• With your industry (fashion/jewelry) and price point (most products under $50) you can safely aim for a goal of 8-10% Add to Cart conversion in order to meet the 4-5% Reached Checkout and the golden 2-3% Purchase Conversion metrics down the road.

• If you're not hitting 8-10% in Add to Cart, don't analyze further down the funnel yet as this will cause serious confusion and may complicate your goal setting when you're just getting started. To put it simply, you need to get a qualified interested buyer into the store before analyzing their purchase behavior after adding to their cart. Thus, I recommend checking out this guide on creating a solid and refined Buyer Persona. Having a defined target customer to market to improves your metrics and your Add to Cart will increase dramatically. Once you've reached the goal of 8-10% Add to Cart conversion, then you can analyze the rest of your funnel for other factors to improve sales.

Here are a couple of guides/tools that can help with your analysis and strategy:

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1007 50 150

Hey @JamieO 

If you are having lot of add to cart but no sales then I would suggest that you should definitely start notifying your customers when they abandoned your cart. This can be done in many ways. You can send them an abandoned cart push notification or an abandoned cart email. This will reduce your cart abandonment. Not only this you can also start rewarding your customers with loyalty points when they come back to recover the abandoned cart.

You can install AiTrillion.com to get this integration of different functionalities. You can check it out. I am sure you will find it useful.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes