We've been doing online sales for about 2 years but just launched this new site about 3 weeks ago. We've had a few sales and are pretty happy with the functionality of the site so far! We don't sell typical products so have a look and let me know what's missing, what we could change, and any other feedback you have!
I know with my old website when I put higher ticket products on my home page my conversion rates dropped massively. Might be a better way to flow your home page. Really you want to focus on these areas.
Also think there is a better way to do the colors on your website. Reach out HERE and I'll send you a more detailed review going over these areas in detail.
Here are few things that stuck out to me right off the bat:
Your store would benefit from using heatmaps (to see where people are clicking) and session recordings (to watch what people did on your site). Because your website is so niche, heatmaps may show people skipping over your slider images and heading straight to your menu bar.
Heatmaps could also show you if people are looking for different currencies or if they even make it to your featured collection. You may be able to tighten up your homepage depending on their behavior.
I’m a huge supporter of polls.. Having a poll on your website won’t make or break someone’s sale, but it can help you build inventory or see what your customers think of your site updates.
Let’s talk for a second about chat. I know you have a chat on your store already, but it blends in to your layout. It’s more passive than proactive and responsive. If you used a different live chat product, you could actively reach out to people who you saw were struggling or set up an auto invite to trigger a chat invitation when someone hits specific triggers.
For example, you could set it up to invite someone to chat automatically when they add a product to their cart but don’t proceed to checkout within 20 seconds. How many sales could you save if you could answer a person's questions before they left?
Before you ask, it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg to get heatmaps, recordings, polls and chat. Lucky Orange has these features and more, a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.
Good luck, Katie!
I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.
Looks like you've already got some solid responses on your site, which is awesome. There's a couple of other things I'd like to add onto the above feedback as well.
In your footer, where you've got the email sign up link, the wording seems incorrect. You currently have "Want to know more out about products and upcoming sales!". I would change this to "Want to know more about our products and upcoming sales? Sign up to our newsletter!" or "Want to find out more about products and upcoming sales? Sign up to our newsletter!".
I'd also take a look at the colour scheme of your page. The colours of your menus and main page are great, but they are clashing a bit with the white background of your product pictures. Have a think about what could fit better with the white backgrounds, or look at taking new product pictures to have them all aligned. Some pictures don't have a solid white background, and with your colour scheme on the site, they look a lot better! We have a great guide on product images that I would highly recommend checking out!
Lastly, I wanted to mirror @LuckyDanny on the heatmap option. This is spot on. A heatmap is a fantastic way to gain insight into customer behaviour outside of your regular analytics. Learning your customers' behaviour is essential to continue growing and learning more about what your customers are doing. Lucky Orange is a really great and affordable app to help with this.
I love hearing that you're enjoying Shopify so far, and wish you the best!
Thank you for the valuable info! I've made the changes you suggested already. I need to put in a call to the Shopify design team to make some changes to the colours... just got to find the time.
I will looking to the heat map app... still trying to get to know the site so I not ready to jump just yet!
Hi @JenAkkermans ,
First of all, congratulations on your new store. I had quick look at your website and I can see that you have information regarding shipping, refunds which is very important to increase trust among shoppers.
Here are some suggestions that you can consider :
1. Instagram feed can be added for better brand promotion.
2. You may want to think about adding product reviews. Reviews are essential for any eCommerce store as it helps sell more and creates immediate trust with shoppers. Be sure to check out our review app.
Turning More Shoppers Into Customers
For the niche you are in, the simpler and easier the site the better. A person who came to get a water heater is not there for aesthetically pleasing site, but for a comfortable and user-friendly experience with all the essential information. For that reason I recommend adding a couple of functions and change the background color.
So let's get into details.
1) The color that you have used for the background does not seem to be part of the logo, instead I recommend using the yellow, black for buttons and font, and white for the background. It will look clean and more professional.
2) On the navigation bar do not put the about us section inside the Contact us. Make two separate pages for that and link them both on the navigation bar.
3) Implement an opportunity to log in and sign up using Social Media account. We all have accounts at least in one social media. And if I have an opportunity to create an account just with one click, I will do it. having an easier way to Sign in will help you gather customer base. The most valuable thing for a company is the customer
4) 90% of people read reviews before purchasing an item. I personally do not read the description too much, I go straight on to the reviews section because that is a social proof. In my opinion that is an essential of every site. I highly recommend (almost insist) and adding that feature on your site. You can use Growave for that, it offers automated emails within the Reviews feature as well.
P.S. A better functionality of site along with social engagement can be reached using Growave. It offers Reviews, Rewards, Wishlist, Social Login and 7 more tools all in one platform.
Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so please let me know by liking this post.
The best of luck!
Great job with your store :)
Some things you could consider:
Good luck with your store!