Google search listing

thebluehound
Excursionist
39 0 8

Hi All,  I will start this by saying I am not tech savvy so please keep this in mind if answering.  I've had a shopify store for a few years now.  I've not really googled my shop, but did the other day.  The listing shows but the description pulled is a repeat of a tag line on my home page.  How do I 'guide' google to different text?  Or change the text? Or submit text to them?  I have google analytics, have submitted a site map and have the analytics code attached to my shopify settings.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.43.34 AM.png

Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks, Joe

0 Likes
MS-WEB-DESIGNER
Shopify Partner
2818 176 474

Dear @thebluehound 

Change title and description. Submit it through Google search console.

Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
893 57 135

Hey, @thebluehound!

I'm Ava from the Community Forums, I can provide some more direction here! As @MS-WEB-DESIGNER mentioned above, the meta description for your store will need to be updated and a sitemap will need to be submitted in order for what you see on a Google search to be changed. I can walk you through the process in more detail!

To change the meta description, you can go to the admin and select Online Store > Preferences. After that, you can add your store name as the Homepage Title, and a short description of your business as the meta description. It's best to keep things as short and descriptive as possible here - the more informative Google thinks your description is, the more it will think customers will benefit from visiting your site. There is a guide here on writing a meta description that drives sales!

14-48-fu44u-qnfxo

After you're happy with the settings in the admin, you can submit your sitemap to Google. This is to let Google know that you've made a change to your site, so they can then publish the most updated version of your store to their search engine. This is a pretty straightforward process, there is a step-by-step guide here on how to do this! 

Google will usually crawl your site every few months on its own and check for updates and post the results, but submitting the sitemap request a crawl now, and will speed up this process. Even with the sitemap submitted, the process has been known to take 1-2 weeks. So I'd recommend patience here!  

Do let me know how you get on, and let me know if you have any questions. Happy to chat!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
thebluehound
Excursionist
39 0 8

Hi Ava,  Thanks.  Using @MS-WEB-DESIGNER's suggestion, I changed the Meta description.  All of the information that you suggested was there already so maybe changing something will spark a result?  And I had submitted a sitemap awhile ago, but as per your suggestion, I re-submitted.

I will say that when I did a search of "the blue hound" on Chrome, the result show more comprehensively.  On safari, it shows as I pasted before, just a repeat of the same line.  After doing a bit more searching in my shopify set-up, I realized that I had used the exact same Meta Description for all of my Product groups (Necklace, Rings, Bracelets, etc).   Maybe this caused the safari version of the listing.  I have since changed them to be different.   I'm definitely not tech savvy so only guessing.  Will wait a week and see if any of the changes take.

Thanks again

Joe

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
893 57 135

Thanks for the response! 

That is a great idea - changing the meta description on all of your products will not only help your store's SEO, but it will hopefully solve this issue for you on Safari as well. It may take a little time to see the results, but once the sitemap has been submitted it should not take too long!

At the moment, I'm seeing this for both Safari and Google Chrome:

16-02-3v05s-2uibn

It looks good right now! 

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help.

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes