Hi! New store, myDoll.house, seeking feedback, encouragement, and advice!

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

https://myDoll.house

Hello!

I launched my store 3.5 weeks ago. I sell a unique product, designed and developed by me.

My store hit 1000 visits yesterday - (which I am happy about!), but no conversions or even 'add to cart'. Part of me is not surprised; this is a new concept, no one will actually be looking for this exact thing when they see it. It may take a bit to digest the concept and the price point is significant so not impulse purchase.

I have generated almost all of the visits through Pinterest (96%).  I have also been posting regularly on FB and Instagram. My biggest problem is Google has suspended my merchant account (if interested in this, learn more here). This is a rather devastating blow and I am not sure it is surmountable given that Google controls 86-93% of the search volume.  But I have invested SO much time, love, energy and money in developing this store that I am not ready to give up yet.

So: your input would be greatly appreciated! Some questions I have are:

1. I have changed the home page layout several times, I don't think it is as strong as it can be. Thoughts?

2. Specific suggestions to encourage conversions

3. I believe my best chance for sales is buying a set of 4 room inserts (for this I offer 10% as well as free shipping).  I have listed the individual room inserts for sale mostly because I don't have / know of a better way to set up the 'bundle' of 4. I am using app 'Bundler Product Bundler' to achieve this offering. Any other suggestions for structuring this?

4. Any suggestions at all to improve my store!

Thank you so much in advance  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
38 0 11

Hey @myDollhouse

I hope you’re doing well.

I have inspected your store and here’s my report:

Your store looks really great, you did really well on the visuals of the store. I like the homepage and the flow. Furthermore, I visited the products and found that their descriptions great but only a few helped to find your products on google. 

According to Google, if your products have common or copied descriptions your products will not rank high in the search rating sometimes they don’t even show up in the search results. 

Also about your product titles, they look very simple i.e. just the product name but a good product title should have all the essential qualities of the product in the title. And also they help in improving the overall SEO of your store. Take Amazon’s product titles for example they are informative and always show up on top in search results.

Lastly, I would like to talk about your store’s On-Page SEO rating which is really bad. If you wish to make your store more visible and reachable you should have a high SEO rating. Your SEO rating is a combined rating of how well your store will perform in search results higher the score higher the chances of being on the top result. You can improve it by making your Titles and Product description SEO optimized. Other than your product title and descriptions, the most important factor which affects your SEO rating is Meta Description, it's really important and most of the stores don't pay enough attention to it and then complain about the less traffic and conversions. 

Meta description and SEO rating vastly impact your store visibility on google and other possible interaction places. The meta description plays an important role in attracting the right kind of traffic ultimately resulting in better conversions.

I’d really suggest you try Descrii, they provide titles, descriptions, and meta descriptions for your products that’ll help your website to climb high in search rankings and ultimately gain more traffic and conversion. 

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Thanks for your input, Shruti! 

I will consider and address every one of your suggestions. 

What do you mean by the product descriptions only helping a few to be found on Google? How do you check this and what would you add? Is my not showing up in Google due to GMC suspension?

I may have other questions as I research.

Many thanks for taking the time to write to me

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
38 0 11

When I searched your product description's first sentence, only a few of the descriptions helped find your website. You optimize your products to show on top of search with meta description. Currently, your product descriptions are also their meta descriptions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1520 77 258

Hello @myDollhouse, I hope you are doing well! Here are some ways to make your store even better and make people want to purchase:

The home Page should flow better. I would recommend setting it out like this. Slideshow Image- Collection List- New arrivals, Bestsellers- Testimonials- Newsletter sign up box- Instagram Feed

- There are font discrepancies.

- You need to engage your visitors coming to your site by giving loyalty reward points which will increase repeat purchase and customer lifetime value. You can add web push notifications which will help you to retarget your customers anytime even when they are not in your store. This will help you to run your store smoothly and decrease the bounce rate and will capture your visitors and convert them into prospective or paying customers. You will be able to retain your customers for the long term.

- Make sure to enable automatic workflow emails/push for abandoned cart, win back old customers, welcome email, purchase follow-up, or browse abandoned customers.

- Add Newsletter Subscription with automatic emails with thankyou and discount coupon.

If your store is engaging then it will help you to reduce Customer Churn Rate i.e percentage of customers who stop purchasing from your brand and will also increase your customer retention.

Hope this helps!

If you are looking to implement the above mentioned features/ customer engagement or marketing tools in your store. I would recommend you to install the all in one Shopify app AiTrillion. You can check it out. I am sure you will find it useful.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hello! I saw this, I'm not active on this forum, but I've been in ecommerce a long time, including Shopify sites and both of your posts really tugged at my heartstrings.

Honestly I am not expecting much when clicking to most of these sites, but I was impressed with yours! I really like the product, I like that you featured a variety of dolls in the images and the designs are really cute. Very novel design, product photography is excellent. I am unfortunately 4+ hours from the nearest Ikea or I would purchase one! So perhaps my first question, maybe think of a way to use cardboard boxes or something to set them up without the bookshelf? What about those square baskets that fit into cubby shelves, you could stack them on their side? Or fit it into my other bookshelves? It would also make the overall product less expensive too without having to purchase an Ikea shelf, as the inserts themselves are already a little pricey. ($100+ for a set.) Of course, they would still fit in Ikea shelves. Just a friendly suggestion to think about that would increase your market, there may be other people like me who like it but are not close to an Ikea.

I also read your post on the ads. Google shopping can be very picky at times, I didn't see anything that would immediately trigger a review. The only thing I can think of is that they don't like that the product photography shows a bookshelf, and the final product is actually a cardboard piece. I know you make it clear on the site, but Google shopping ads are just a product image. They may not like when a customer clicks on a "dollhouse" and gets inserts and needs to buy the bookshelf elsewhere. I think that's a silly reason - iPhone accessory ads will show pictures of the phone which is not included - but it's the only thing I can think of from your description. Wait a bit, appeal again. You mentioned the site being slow - I did a literal 10 second quick analysis in GTMetrix and it is not slow enough to trigger a penalty for a landing page. It looks like there's something wonky with your fonts that's causing it and you've got a lot of mystery meat JavaScript I didn't look into, but not a huge deal. You're within acceptable performance range.

But it's not a huge deal, and will probably have little impact on your success. Your Google Merchant account makes it so you can't run Google Shopping ads. You can still rank in Google's search engine for free, rejection from Merchants does not mean you have been penalized for search. Google is separated into many different "types" of search - they have only rejected you from one type, the little product image ads. So don't be too upset about that - it's just one type of Google ad, paid shopping ads, that you're not allowed to use. They're usually too expensive for a novel product anyhow. You can still rank in the normal Google search,  but as a new site you'll need to go after very longtail keywords. Furthermore, it sounds like it's just your merchant ads that have been rejected. You may still be able to run standard Google Ads, just not product search. I think your product needs explanation as you said, so text-based adwords would likely be a better match anyhow.

But before you spend money on any Google ads, you said almost all of your traffic is coming from Pinterest? Run ads and retargeting ads there first! Pinterest ads are much much cheaper usually, and with your traffic you can retarget on Pinterest for cheap. Use the official Pinterest extension for Shopify, it will handle the technical side of installing the tracking codes. If you want to do any Google ads in the future, make sure Signals is on in Google Analytics. It will collect data that will help you get your ads much cheaper. If you're interested in any of this, just let me know and I can give you more detailed instructions.

But my number one advice would be to focus on Pinterest ads, since Pinterest is giving traffic, and Facebook/Instagram over Google ads of any format, except maybe a highly targeted YouTube ad. Much more cost effective at this point in your company.

In terms of your homepage:

I think your homepage is in the right direction and I do not agree with the other comment on it to make it more like a fashion/normal Shopify store. It's a novel product and brand, your goal on the homepage is to educate on this product. Here's some excellent landing page optimization structure advice I learned from one of the best in the world: anticipate questions and answer them, understand the core motivations and reinforce/encourage them (think of all the business and Shopify sales materials always talking about being your own boss, that's what they're doing), and uncover barriers to purchasing and alleviate those concerns. Do those things at every step of the journey.

Ask your self: who are you talking to? In your case, probably the parents or collectors. What do you want them to do next on your website from where they are now? On the home page, you want them to look at your specific designs. I think that call to action needs to be made a lot clearer: something like, shop our dollhouse rooms! Where is the traffic coming from? If they're coming from an ad you need to educate, if they're coming from a video on Facebook you need to sell them now, the video educated them. You can design the pages to match that.

When I look at your homepage, I see a very clever product, creating a custom dollhouse in my bookshelf. But I think the UVP (unique value proposition) isn't quite compelling enough. There are many dollhouses and doll furniture ideas, why buy this specifically? I don't know the external link policy on Shopify forums here, but Google 'How to create a unique value proposition with examples cxl', which is an article by the conversion pro Peep at CXL. Follow his steps to get this right. Put your UVP right at the top. I love that image, do not change it. It instantly communicates: this is a dollhouse in a bookshelf for your child.

I think you should sell your story harder too. I created this because ____, I'm a single mom who started this business on my own in the pandemic. People are emotional right now, many parents will connect. If you're making them, say that and talk about the quality. Say you can wipe them down with a rag, and they're very sturdy. Not just product pages, homepage too.

Add a much, much stronger call to action. View all designs with images, or just put all the products and your bundle offer on the homepage. The two big squares with Individual Room Inserts/Special Value Bundles are not enough. Sell both of them on the page: here's my designs, high quality, put them in a bookshelf, etc. Pre-sell the product here and then use a single call to action to send them over to look at the individual designs, or to start building their bundle. 

So in summary:

• Don't fret not being able to use Google merchants, you can still rank in the search results
  • Focus on traffic that is working and you can build in time for holiday shopping and generate profit: Pinterest, and also FB/IG.
  • I would not focus on search - it's a novel product, search volume will be low or competitive for generic keywords. You win on your strengths, not your weaknesses: this will be social media, especially Pinterest. Focus on what works.
  • Start retargeting on Pinterest
  • Keep your customer education focused home landing page for such a novel new product, just make sure your UVP is very strong at the top, you really pitch the product next, tell your story, and then a strong call to action to build a bundle or look at individual panels
  • Always ask yourself: who am I talking to? What do I want them to do next on my website? Where did they come from, what do they already know about me from there?
  • Address questions, reinforce motivations (you can use your UVP for this), and alleviate barriers

This is all I have time for right now, let me know if you have questions on any of it. I was raised by a single mother who had to figure out a business in a horrible recession just to survive, there is nothing a dedicated, creative, and smart mother cannot do! Let me know if you need any other help.

Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

What a wonderful and deeply needed dose of empathy, intelligent critique, and hope. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough response. That you signed up specifically so that you could reach out to me means a lot :-); please know that you have made a real difference.

Your response covers a lot of ground, I have read it all several times and will consider and address all of your points. I was not aware I could still rank in Google searches, so that in and of itself is huge and great news!

I am not sure I understand about 'retargeting' on Pinterest but I will research this and see if I have any questions. 

The input you give regarding my home page is excellent. You have emphasized taking a macro stance- with this in mind I can apply changes across the site that may really make a difference. 

I will add in more about 'my story' and more 'call to action' ...lots to do!

Your comment about playing to my strengths (and that no one will be actively searching for a product they don't yet know exists!) rings true. I think the visual nature of Pinterest works well with this.

Gosh, I am so grateful for your time and help. I will process this all over the next week or so and let you know if I have any questions.

Sincere thanks.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 1 3

I really appreciate your reply, thanks! Certainly let me know if I can clarify anything or give more specific instructions or if anything else comes up. And I really appreciate your reply, thanks! You've encouraged me to be more active here, most stores I am not interested in but I occasionally see someone like you that I would love to reply to. Thanks again and best wishes you and your business.

Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Yalass,

Amazing initial results I want to share!: I began making changes in response to your input...I posted most of them midday Tuesday. As of 1.5 days later I have had !8! shopping cart adds (compared to previously none) and last night I got an email from a customer who *seems* like they will make a purchase!  Wow.  

So excited to have made any progress...I have a lot more to do but am encouraged!

Happy Thanksgiving and have a great day!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi There!

Great to hear that the suggestions around Search Engine optimization have led to an uptick in visits and cart ads!

After visiting your web store, I think I have another idea that'll help even more potential customers cross the finish line and complete their purchase. Your products are highly visual and contextual to the space that they'll exist in. I wonder what some of those customers who added a Doll House to their cart would do if they also saw preview of what it would like right in their space! 

Would highly recommend checking out our Shopify App which lets potential customers preview items right in their space via Augmented Reality. We actually worked with a similar business on a standalone toy, with a marked increase in conversions. Feel free to schedule a call with us (I'd be happy to throw in a heavy pricing incentive for the holidays ) - I truly believe that our platform will delight the folks looking at your Doll Houses.

-Vik 

See how Augmented Reality from levAR can help your business drive sales, reduce returns and increase brand awareness.

levar.io
0 Likes