Hi everyone, please give me some feedback on my store - no traffic! https://morningstarmarket.com.au

1 0 0

Hi everyone, 

Can everyone please have a look at my store and give me some ideas on increasing traffic. So fat my visitor numbers are in the single figures and I think most of them are getting to my page by accident. 

I'm learning as I go. I had no idea on e-commerce before starting and I still have no idea now. Additionally I'm doing this on 0 budget. I'm hoping to get a couple of sales and use the profits from them to advertise etc to get the ball rolling. 

My story is a generic clothing store. I've tried to avoid pictures etc that make it obvious im using chinese sourced products. I think I either need to greatly broaden the product range to make it more appealing to more people or I need to make it more niche specific (hipsters, skaters, professionals etc). 

I anyone has any ideas on getting some traffic that I can try please let me know. Thanks in advance https://morningstarmarket.com.au/

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
122 13 12

Hey there @no_idea_newbie,

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I took a look through your store and would be happy to offer my suggestions.

My first impression of your store is that your main target audience is men, considering all the featured products are men's products. The text on your home page mentions 'Elite looks for elite men and women' and then emphasizes 'Tech, toys, and fashion for every guy', excluding how you serve women. Lower on your home page, the words 'tech. toys. fashion' are repeated; however, it seems the majority of your products are men's and women's apparel, with a single collection of watches being the only technology you sell. The image of the laptop in the slideshow there gives the impression you sell more technology - such as laptops. This is misleading and can be confusing to a first time visitor. I recommend niching down as it will be simpler to focus on a single target audience when designing your store with them in mind, and when working on marketings strategies. We have a guide here that can help you specify your target market. It's also a good idea to feature only a few products on your home page, allowing the visitor to browse intentionally rather than scroll through.

One of the first pages visitors will look at to learn more about your business and products is the About Us page. Here is your chance to tell your story, and to convince the visitor why they should purchase from you rather than another business. The About Us page should include who you are, why you are (the problem you intend to solve), what you sell (the solution to the problem), and what your mission is. Having a Unique Value Proposition goes a long way to win visitors over. You can learn more about how to write an effective About Us page here.

In regards to your store's appearance, I suggest including both the About Us page and the Contact Us page in the Header Menu for ease of access. The Contact Us page itself should either display your store's full address or no address at all - having 'South Australia' alone is unnecessary. The 'c' in 'contact us' in the Footer Menu should be capitalized, for a professional look. Adding store policies in the Footer Menu will also build trust with your visitors, as these are pages commonly visited before a visitor commits to a purchase.

As for your product pages - there's just a couple of recommendations I'd like to make here. Firstly, taking your own product photos is yet another key way to build trust with your visitors. There are many images that look like they've been taken from dropshipping suppliers - especially ones that have logo or instagram handle watermarks. Secondly, I noticed not all of your products offer product descriptions - and the ones that did were quite vague. For example "Full suit! Jacket, pants and vest. Available in various sizes and colors. Very high quality at this price point." - This gives the potential customer no information on what material this product is made out of, and no 'evidence' of the quality you insist this product offers. I suggest checking out Oberlo's guide to help you Write Product Descriptions That Sell.

At this point in your business development, it may be best on focusing optimizing your storefront before you work on generating incoming traffic. You might find our How to Design Your Online Store (With Zero Design Experience) helpful here. Once you've made the necessary changes to have a focused niche and improved user experience, you can start working on marketing! You'll want to develop a marketing plan, if you haven't already. It's important to use multiple marketing outlets - do you have any ideas of how you're going to market?

Email marketing is often overlooked, but still one of the most effective tools out there. We offer an Ecommerce Email Marketing 101 course to help you get started with your first email campaigns. Social media is of course another great way to reach out and engage with internet users. Have you created Facebook and/or Instagram pages for your business? Connecting your online store to these accounts with the use of the Facebook Sales Channel and Instagram Sales Channel will simplify the process for your social media page visitors to access your store. On Facebook, they can click on a product for more information and easily navigate to the product page with a single click. Similarly, Instagram uses product tags, which prompt a call to action button sending your visitor directly to the product page. Gary Vaynerchuck has an effective tactic called the $1.80 Instagram Strategy to help you market for free, but I'd also recommend checking out our Shopify Academy free courses for Instagram Marketing and creating Facebook Ads (when you're ready to invest into your marketing).

When reviewing your results, Analytics are your best friend. We generally recommend having an initial goal of 1000 online store sessions in the last 30 days before taking a look at your conversion rate. After reaching that goal, if your conversion rate is lower than 2%, you can take a look into how you can optimize your shop to increase that rate. I hope this information helps you understand the key next steps for your business! I understand there's quite a bit of information here, so please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
505 31 121

Hi,

Store looks simple and attractive and it requires some patience in the starting to get going.
You can make few changes to your store it will enhance your store's appearance.
 I have reviewed your store  but still you can build a level of trust amongst visitors which will drive you better sales.

1. You can add few more banner images or you can merge fullwidth section just above the footer to banner, it will save you lot of space as it will look good and help in increasing customer engagement time at your website.
    Instead you can add another section of Frequently Bought/Clicked/Trending/Bestselling products on your home page.
  2. You don't have favicon which looks unprofessional and reduces the trust factor amongst the visitors. You can add a favicon on the website ref this article from shopify here, it’s simple and will help strengthen your brand.
  3. You can add size chart which is must for clothing sections not only this you can add customer feed backs under the products it will help in trust building process amongst the customers.
  4. Taking someone to the cart is a challenge. So to make them buy from your site, add a longer product description as it leads to better SEO ranking in google search.  Ref article from shopify
  5. You can add social media links, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram on the site footer and please make sure your social media pages opened at the new tab instead of the same tab. This will ensure your customers stay on your website while looking at your social presence.
  6. You can convert more traffic into qualified leads and customers from the app. SiteKit fast-tracks your business growth by turning visitors into subscribers and customers with lead generation campaigns and high-converting tools.
  7. The default search landing page is bit off, I mean it's empty https://morningstarmarket.com.au/search?q=
    You can show products on that page as well by simply updating the default search on the website with different search solution.
    Additionaly, smart search offers some suggestions when someone is trying to find something to your store.
  8. Lastly, You have over 180 products. I would strongly recommend to replace the default search with advanced search like Sparq which allows synonyms, advanced custom tag filters, spelling correction and other such feature. Visitors with search are high intent users and their conversion rate is higher than normal users. Check out the features live here.

I hope my feedback will help you converting visitors into customers.
     Neha:)
Sparq is a fast and beautiful search solution for Shopify store owners. It allows store owners to upgrade their default search to an extremely fast, more user friendly and feature rich search
0 Likes