High bounce rate, conversions halted

4 0 0

We started our store in October 2018, using Bold for our subscription plugin.  For 2 months, we were growing with new orders and subscriptions, then we redid our FB ad campaigns, and since then we have received not a single order.  My store now has a high bounce rate from our ad campaign workflows on Facebook and Instagram with no conversions.  Since most of our traffic is mobile (~75%+), I do understand part of the problem is our theme.  The Narrative theme is designed for a small catalog.  We are currently redoing our site and choosing a more customizable theme. 

We also switched to Recharge for subscription services in late December.  Could it be perhaps the weight of our 3rd-party plugins is slowing load speed down?   Is Recharge known to be reliable?  I know there is much to fix, and I'm wondering if it could be because of back-end issues I'm not seeing (DNS?)  Any insights on what is happening would be greatly appreciated.  It feels like we've tried everything, just trying to understand what is going on.

www.smartbox-express.com

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

It's great that you're monitoring your store's speed. Based on the information you had provided, I launched an investigation for you. Here's what I found out.

First, I used Pingdom to test your store's general speed.

26_02-l7az4-ikt0y 

The result is a little lower than what I had expected. When I was on your store, it didn't feel that slow. Perhaps your great visual is a bonus yet killing you at the same time. To debrief the results, your store currently has too many redirects. There's also three images or file you have on your store that's taking longer than usual time to load.

26_06-qdxgg-2vj1o

26_07-gxeev-i43z2

26_08-zkk7v-2zrvt

Also, just like you had mentioned in your post, your current theme isn't handling the customization too well. The javascript is taking a while to load. Once you migrate to a more customizable theme, it'll reduce this part of the loading time.

Second, since you mentioned your concern on the apps installed, I decided to do a cross-check with Chrome developer tool on your store speed just to be sure we can identify which app is really causing the loading issue. It turns out it's the Bold app's residue codes.

26_13-e4pm6-l7rdw

It's the javascript from the Bold Subscription app that keeps redirecting your storefront and slows down the speed. The best way is to reach Bold support directly and have them assist you with the code removal.

A great tip for you to detect what's causing your high bouncing rate is through apps that can help you to observe your store's traffic. I recommend you to check out apps such as Lucky Orange, Hitsteps Analytics, and Hotjar. They offer you a chance to see heatmaps and videos of what the customer does on the site. The data give great insights into where they are dropping off, and why people don’t convert.

I hope that information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out! Alternatively, you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time. We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

All the best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Jason,

I have a very similar situation. Several add to cart but almost none complete purchase. Something is preventing them from finalizing the transaction. I wonder if it is high international shipping fees, slow website etc. Also, considering changing themes since the one I have is a bit outdated and i cannot automatically update it. Please advise ! thank you so much.

Viviana

My website: www.toiartgallery.com

0 Likes

Dear SBX_Company,

Congratulation for your store. We have gone through your store and hope the following suggestion will help you.

1. Optimize your store loading speed for mobile and desktop

2. Design can be more better and organized

3. You have missed lots of features in Product page (https://www.mswebdesigner.com/pages/product-page)

4. Test checkout process

5. Check Payment methods

There are other areas you need to work

Thanks & Regards

MS Web Designer

Official Shopify Experts & Partner

20000+ Task Completed
1000+ Satisfied Client
9.9*/10 Customer Rating
10*/10 Shopify Services Marketplace
E-mail: hello@mswebdesigner.com
0 Likes
Astronaut
788 49 176

Hey Smartbox-Express,

I hope you are doing well and the site seems working amazing. I reviewed your site and here are some of my feedbacks that you can implement instantly to get the fresh look on the site. 

1. For engaging new customers, you can add a section of best-selling products.

2. For some sales at the start, you need to offer some discounts to get going as a promotional offer.
    Also, it would be great if you can create a seperate sale page for discounted products.

3. Add some more social links like Facebook, Twitter for better connectivity.
  4. Kindly add the search option on the top side of the home page for easy navigation.
  5. You should add some blogs as they help in building search engine content.
  6. Lastly, You have ample of products. Also, your search page is a bit off and empty. Don't you think if suggestions are offered to the searchbar, there will be a lot of chances for a visitor to buy from your store?  I would strongly recommend replacing the default search with an advanced search like Sparq which allows advanced filters, synonyms, and other such features. Visitors with search are high intent users and their conversion rate is higher than normal users. Check out the features live here.
  7. Sales Pop syncs your store's data to turn recent orders into sales notification popups on your storefront. This is Sales Pop's highest converting feature and is most commonly used on product pages, collection pages.
  8. You can also install one of the most popular app Growwave which is all in one marketing platform that helps store owners increase conversions with ease.

Hope my suggestions help you get more revenue.

May it rains customers and orders,

Neha :)

Sparq is a fast and beautiful search solution for Shopify store owners. It allows store owners to upgrade their default search to an extremely fast, more user friendly and feature rich search
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, Viviana (@Viviana_Elinger)!

Jason from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out.

Your store looks stunning! I love the curated artworks and the way you've designed your store. It's easy to see that you've put in lots of thoughts into it. Now, let's tackle the question - why the lower than usual conversion?

Since you mentioned the page loading speed, similar to SBX_Company, I did a quick speed test on your store. Here is the result. 
15_05-gupwi-sgzfn
15_06-daizr-svaak
The result isn't desirable. We can see that at most of the key points, your store has low grades. When we scroll down to the content size, what stands out here is that you have one 404 error page. This means that you have a page that's currently down. It not only slows down your page loading speed, but it also impacts your search engine optimization (SEO) ranking. I recommend you spend some time go over your pages. Double-check and make sure every page is viable with no failed redirects.

Another thing that stands out is your script size. This can be attributed to the theme and the apps you have in the store. If your theme had been customized by a designer, it's worthwhile to mention to them that you're concerned with page loading speed. Since you're thinking about updating the theme, it may be a good time to browse through which themes are featured for the Art & Photography section in our Themes Store. Next, let's take a closer look at the apps you have in the store. Bear in mind that each app comes with its own scripts. When all accounted for, the scripts add up and slow down the pages as it takes time for the server to read over each one. The question of the day for this section is: do you need all the apps? If you have to trim down, which features can we remove to lighten up your page? A quick scan through the result tells us that Cliengo, Privy, and Improved Contact Form are the ones taking up some waiting time. 
15_37-2k2dq-7ucwo
15_38-0tsx9-9759l
15_40-xxh8m-cy9zj

Lastly, even though the image size is huge as well, I'm not as concerned there because your store is selling artworks. It's inevitable you need to feature these images. 

Now, let's move on to the analytics. Have you been checking your Shopify analytics for the past 3 months? You can check the analytics by admin > Analytics > Dashboards and tweak the date range here:
15_46-t9uth-087tp

A great place to start is to check the store's conversion rate. A healthy store's conversion rate is around 2-3%. This section also tells us where most customers are leaving their orders incomplete and how this pipeline could be improved:
15_49-apd1d-32aja
For instance, if a lot of customers are adding products to their cart as you've mentioned but never checking out, they may be having issues with the design once they reach their cart. Keep in mind this is just an assumption. To investigate further, we can use tools, such as Lucky Orange or Hitsteps Analytics, to help us track the customer's movement to further determine if this assumption is true. 

When I did a quick test order, I noticed that your checkout page was loading at a slow speed (over 10 seconds). Here's a video I recorded on the wait. The Express checkout buttons were taking longer than usual loading time. When I click Back, it took over 20 seconds to load the homepage. Here's the video on how the apps slowly popped out when loading the page that was previously loaded. 

With your beautifully curated artworks, I don't think the international shipping fee is what's stopping the customer from buying. Instead, it's the pages that are taking longer than usual time to load that's triggering the customers leaving the store before completing their orders. Let's review and trim down the apps that are great in ideas but potentially cumbersome and redundant. For example, do you need 2 contact us points at the bottom of the page? Is there a way to replace the announcement bar so it's there but with a faster loading time? These are the questions I recommend you to think about and start working on. 

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this thread. I'd be happy to help out!

Best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

1 Like
Tourist
11 0 1

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. It is really helpful. I will review all the great points you are suggesting and get back to you most likely with more questions :)

Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hi, Viviana (@Viviana_Elinger)!

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. Keep me posted on your progress. I'd love to hear from you and can't wait to see your revamped store!

Best,

Jason

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1
:)
One more question: do you have anyone to recommend for changing themes? I could try to do it (did it in the past) but in case I get stuck somewhere.
Thank you!
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
455 19 52

Hey @SBX_Company . Here are some suggestions on your store:-

Make your website interactive and maximize engagement on your website. You can engage your visitors by adding web push notifications which will help you in retargeting your customers. It can be used in retargeting with push notifications include browse abandonment, retargeting users abandoning the shopping cart, activating dormant users with offers, retaining users with personalized content and more. Add a chatbot to make sure you never lose any of your customers. Make sure you are using email marketing automation to reach your customers. Add pop up. Add reviews and testimonials on the homepage. It helps in building trust with other visitors.

If your store will be engaging and interactive it will help you in increasing conversions and will reduce the bounce rate. Also, will make your store run smoothly with more conversion and retention rate. 

For more suggestions about how you can implement and bring this to action. Feel free to ask.

Want to maximize your engagement and sales?
Visit AiTrillion.com
0 Likes